LegacyGT.com

Spark Plug Install Instructions

I replaced mine with LFR7AIX 2 days ago and it took 1.5 hours. I took out the airbox on the right side but kept the battery in place for the left side.

Tip on pulling out rear L&R coil packs: With the 12mm bolt loosened and the wire unplugged from the coil pack, rotate the coil pack 180 deg then pull up/out. Do the reverse when putting back in.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 870
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Anybody using NGK BKR7EIX? Appears that's what thekingofparts.com is offering for one step colder plugs for the STI/LGT motor...

Where did you see that link. IIRC, the BKR7EIX is one step colder WRX plugs. If you could post a link, I could double check.

I'm in the middle of this now, plugs are out.

FYI: NAPA will try to sell you NGK Iridium IX 5464 (BKR5EIX-11) as a plug for 2006 OBXT. The seating depth is nearly 1/2" deeper on the stock Laser Iridiums.

Not sure if that would hurt anything, but figure they have a certain depth for a reason right?

Just ask for 4904 NGK's....I wouldn't trust their computer system.

Edited by laramieskibum

Did my plugs over the weekend. Lots of cuts on my hands, but Oh well;)

I could have done it w/ the battery in, but it went a lot quicker with it out.

I went w/ stock plugs. I will be running WI and I am at High altitude, so 1 step colder is not required even if I am at 100+ whp over stock...

King of parts price matched the lowest price I found, so I got them for $11.35 a piece :D

:spin:

Did my plugs over the weekend. Lots of cuts on my hands, but Oh well;)

I could have done it w/ the battery in, but it went a lot quicker with it out.

I went w/ stock plugs. I will be running WI and I am at High altitude, so 1 step colder is not required even if I am at 100+ whp over stock...

King of parts price matched the lowest price I found, so I got them for $11.35 a piece :D

Shipped, or non-shipped? With their 10% off Iridium plugs in Nov, I got 4 LFR7AIX for just under $40 shipped from sparkplugs.com..

HV

just took out the plug closest to the air intake to check condition (rough idea)

there toast, only mods i have are a spt intake, borla cat back and a autometer gauge, im at 43,000. Seems to me dont wait till 60k.

Thanks for the heads-up. I already have new plugs (41K right now, stage 1 around 33K, stage 2 around 37-38K), just waiting for the right time to install!

HV

np

napa here in jax had the stock plugs, at 13 dollars a pop:eek:

so i got owned, they will be here tomarrow at noon, i needed to get them that quickly cause im going out of town for my normal monthly 6 hour trip tuesday morning

np

napa here in jax had the stock plugs, at 13 dollars a pop:eek:

so i got owned, they will be here tomarrow at noon, i needed to get them that quickly cause im going out of town for my normal monthly 6 hour trip tuesday morning

I see them mostly go for around $10-11 shipped, so $13 isn't that bad. Even with their 10% off coupon, I still paid $10 each shipped for LFR7AIX..

plugs are in, my hands and fingers hate me now.

car is alot more resonsive now, doesnt have that sluggish feeling like before.

also while u have the intake and battery out , nows a good time to clean your aftermarket filter or put on a aftermarket intake, or panel filter. Also its a good time to do the fog bulbs as well.

so yeah i put napa lazer blue fog bulbs to match my low beams, and took my dirty spt filter off and put on a k&n filter on my intake, im happy with the results of everything

• 3 weeks later...

Plugs are in! 4 hours total - 2 per side.

Remove & replace battery & airbox took at least 1 of those 4 hours. Has to be one of the hokiest battery securing bracket I've ever seen.. Keep in mind - this is my first time for everything with Subaru, so first time removing battery, first time removing airbox, etc..

Those poppits are annoying.. And fragile..

A couple of hints:

-you can tell when the boots are back on the plugs - they go in all the way easily, and make a "plop" when you pull them off. Once they're on, they don't dislodge that easily, so go ahead and push/pull a few times to hear the plop to make sure they're on

-had to do the 180 rotation trick for BOTH rear coilpacks. AND remove the connectors before removing the coilpacks.

-always remember to re-plug the connectors back in before starting to screw in the coils.

Hardest parts:

-getting boot back on on driver's rear

-getting plug socket OUT of driver's rear port after re-installing the plug: had to use a small screwdriver to pop the plug socket off the 3" extension - not enough clearance to remove both socket + extension connected

Tools I used: 3/8" socket set. 3" extension, 3" wobble extension. Did almost all of the work with that - most screwing/unscrewing by turning the extension by hand, which was a pain after a while (stupid carpal tunnel :-(). Additionally: used the 1/4 adapter + 1/4 3" extension with the other extensions for the airbox bolts.

Could probably do it in 2.5-3 hours this time..

HV

^ Congrats!

And yep, it's all about muscle memory. I did my "flip side" in 1/3 the time, if I remember correctly, as my "first side" (I'm fairly decent at spacial stuff :redface: - so I got lucky there), but you should've heard me out there when I was doing that first side...sailors were running away.... :lol:

Thanks for the additional tips!

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

^ :lol:

I was seriously cursing having dropped the car, just the month before. :lol: IIRC, my driver's side (the first side I tackled) took me nearly 2 and a half hours. And yes, I was sore that night. Luckily, the muscle-memory I'd built-up from that side translated well to the other, and I was able to do the passenger's side in around 30 minutes (again, IIRC).

I was *very* thankful, though, that our hood has the two different opening settings.

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

So what happens if you go 1 step colder but you're stock or Stage 1 [Cobb] at most? I plan on going Stage 2 but the spark plug replacement might come first.

What happens if you just stick to stock plugs with Stage 2 Cobb?

I might actually let my shop do this but I'll keep considering it. 50k on the car, cold as shit outside, got quoted at $225 for the job. Kinda more than I expected, but oh well. I'll think about it. Car runs fine.