LegacyGT.com

Spark Plug Install Instructions

• Replies 870
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

What does your current plugs look like? Any evidence that they're causing your misfires?

I agree with RC0032, you'll want to troubleshoot before you change out to the colder plugs.

If you're using the AccessPORT, what happens when you reflash to stock, using the stock plugs? Do you still misfire?

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

Yeah I had to install my factory downpipe and I also unmarried my AP when I had some warranty work done and I was still misfiring.

I totally agree as well but I'm Stage 2+ and I planned on upgrading the plugs and the injectors anyways so it's alright for now. I'll keep ya posted.

^ +1 - and msb175, I believe a "knuckle extension" is what is also referred to as a "universal joint," which allows the ratchet to work at off-angles.

---

JDMChizad - Hummmmmm..... Have a look-see and see what the plugs look like (also, check their gap - maybe they were just out-of spec?), and I'd honestly have on-hand both the OEM as well as the one range colder plugs, so that you can "make adjustments" as you see fit.

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

I'll be tackling this tomorrow with help .. (a buddy has more tools than I) .... +1 colder plugs here I come! I'll take picture of the stock plugs afterwards, will be interesting to see what almost 70k spark plugs look like. Wish me luck!!!!! :)

I think they are around 90 bucks or so, contact kingofparts they can hook you up.

Btw, I did this today, changed the plugs out for 1 step colder ... I made a booboo though, the plug that plugs back into the coil pack. I broke the little tab off ... oops. I called subaru, and they only sell the whole engine wiring harness ... like 300 bucks ... so I wrapped the plug in black tape .. it seems to be pretty snug ... so time will tell I guess ... I need to find a junked car and cut the plug off :)

So here is a picture of one of the spark plugs that I took out.

http://members.cox.net/ohmer_stuff/tn_IMG_3723.JPG

http://members.cox.net/ohmer_stuff/tn_IMG_3724.JPG

That's a pretty good looking plug, especially for 70K miles. You might be running a touch leaner than you should, but probably nothing to worry about.

Yeah I think that was from my previous tune that I was running .. I was pulling timing like crazy ... I am now running the TDC Stage 2 tune and things are much smoother, I was pretty happy with how they looked after 70k miles too :) now .. I just need to pray for my throw out bearing to stay intact until my clutch gets replaced on Thursday.

I can't quite see the everything here at work - the monitor sucks, but from brother boostjunkie's comments and from what I can see here, it looks like he's spot-on in his assessment.

How's the plug look from the other angle? Which cylinder was that from? And would you say that the others are well-represented by this one, too?

For 70K, that looks nice, indeed.

Yeah I think that was from my previous tune that I was running .. I was pulling timing like crazy ... I am now running the TDC Stage 2 tune and things are much smoother, I was pretty happy with how they looked after 70k miles too :) now .. I just need to pray for my throw out bearing to stay intact until my clutch gets replaced on Thursday.

So did you get the new plugs in? I'm just waiting for UPS to get to my house! I paid extra for 3 day shipping and I bought these damn things on Thursday, so they better be here by now! :mad:

I do have another picture, but its at home, all 4 plugs looked like this actually .. I'll take a group picture of them tonight ... yes I put in 1 step colder plugs. My car ran a bit rich at first when I was done, since I had to re-flash my TDC Stage 2 real-time map back on .. but once the ECU learned things again the car runs like it did before. I want to say the butt dyno says things feel better ... but I have been easy going since my throw-out bearing is going. I can really hear it now when I push the clutch pedal in ... so the car is staying at work for a couple of days till I can take the car into the shop.

Ok... I will finally begin this project this evening. I'm hoping the plugs are the only cause of my misfiring. UPS didn't bring my plugs until late Monday when it was almost already dark and I've had to work all week so I will update later...

So the box says not to gap the plugs... I purchased the LFR7AIX. :confused:

They are usually really close right out of the box, but you can gap the plugs you just have to be really careful and not put any stress on the iridium tip. Run a gap between .026" to 0.28".