LegacyGT.com

Spark Plug Install Instructions

I took mine out last week. The hardest ones to get out were the driver side ones. I broke both while trying to get them out, lucky it was the old ones.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3158/3330974283_49d128c44d_m.jpghttp://farm4.static.flickr.com/3390/3331809286_1a6f2964e5_m.jpghttp://farm4.static.flickr.com/3654/3331810348_fbc15644ea_m.jpg

click to enlarge (these are not the IX that went in)

• Replies 870
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm working on mine right now as I type this. Got the two front ones out and replaced. I'm waiting for my brother to come back from AutoZone with the knuckle so I can get to the back ones....Looks like they will be a biotch...

Finally done! The back driver side took the longest. Found out the best way to get it was to un-clip the wiring on the coil. Without that it's impossible to get that thing out.

Good job! The 2.5 is a royal pain in the butt. The plugs are due on my outback... no fun.

I really liked doing the plugs on my 2.2, they are all accessible with the same extension, and don't have to remove anything besides the plug wires.

Good job! The 2.5 is a royal pain in the butt. The plugs are due on my outback... no fun.

I really liked doing the plugs on my 2.2, they are all accessible with the same extension, and don't have to remove anything besides the plug wires.

Thanks. I'm just saying though, that back driver one killed me. It literally drove me nuts. On top of that I ended up getting the spark plug socket stuck inside the engine with the old spark plug. It was all hell trying to get it back out. I couldn't get the damn extension to clip back on. Finally had my 13 year old sister put her small hand in there and get it for me. Was rather sad watching her do it with such ease...

Thanks. I'm just saying though, that back driver one killed me. It literally drove me nuts. On top of that I ended up getting the spark plug socket stuck inside the engine with the old spark plug. It was all hell trying to get it back out. I couldn't get the damn extension to clip back on. Finally had my 13 year old sister put her small hand in there and get it for me. Was rather sad watching her do it with such ease...

Haha, that's pretty funny. When I do my outback I'll make sure my 13 year old sister is home! :lol:

Amen brother (assuming you're talking about the '96 in your profile).

Take heart, whenever you move to a later model (at least 2005+, I don't

know about the 1999-2004 group), you will find it WAAAYYY easier - trust

me. For those complaining about the difficulty of the '05-'06, count your

blessings !

Well the outback is a '99 with the 2.5, I haven't done it yet, but it doesn't look fun. The 2.2 is in my '96 was wicked easy though. I actually took the engine out yesterday, so I should have waited till then... Oh well.

I gotta question for you guys. I just changed the plugs on my mom's 2003 Honda Accord EX and I managed to break a screw. Its a screw that's holding the coil pack in. It managed not to break underneath the coil or above the coil, but in the middle of the coil. So the coil can still wiggle but cannot be removed. I don't know what to do. It doesn't seem like it's hurting anything considering there's an extra cover above the coils that is screwed on to ensure they don't come up. Also, this screw is the one that goes through the top cover and a nut comes down on it to make sure the cover is on. Any advice? I got a picture attached of whats going on and how this screw sits. Thanks.

1774020078_HondaDiagram.jpg.c4472c2a01e12adc958b5a18c7384cda.jpg

Yeah I'm taking it to the shop tomorrow. I got the coil up to where I had a solid 1/2 inch of the screw visible. I tried using some pliers and nothing. That sucker was in there tight. So I'll let the mechanics handle it...

Yeah I'm taking it to the shop tomorrow. I got the coil up to where I had a solid 1/2 inch of the screw visible. I tried using some pliers and nothing. That sucker was in there tight. So I'll let the mechanics handle it...

By "pliers", do you mean regular pliers, or a set of vice grip pliers? Vice grips can work wonders with 1/2 an inch of screw..

By "pliers", do you mean regular pliers, or a set of vice grip pliers? Vice grips can work wonders with 1/2 an inch of screw..

lol i will try the vice grips tomorrow...

Edited by Molal24

Amen brother (assuming you're talking about the '96 in your profile).

Take heart, whenever you move to a later model (at least 2005+, I don't

know about the 1999-2004 group), you will find it WAAAYYY easier - trust

me. For those complaining about the difficulty of the '05-'06, count your

blessings !

Having finished changing the plugs on my (normally-aspirated) '06,

I can say that I'd rather change the plugs on this thing every YEAR,

than change the plugs on my old '97 every 100K miles. I am not kidding.

Yes, you want to remove the battery and the air filter holder - this

takes a total of half-hour maybe. I also found it helpful to remove the

breather hoses from the valve covers - which you can only do after

you've unplugged the spark-plug wires. It's VERY tempting to remove

the hose going from the power-steering fluid reservoir to the pump, but

of course it'll make an oily mess.

Do you have the part numbers from the IRIDIUM IX that went in?

Cost?

Where did you get them?

Are the NGK spark plugs something that the local parts stores around town are doing to carry or are these special order from NGK?

Hey, sorry for the late reply.

If you want the Iridium IX go with the LFR7AIX (not -11). They are one step colder and have the same gap as the stock plugs. The LFR6AIX-11 have a larger gap of 0.044 and you have to gap them at your own risk (if you are brave :) NGK does not suggest you do that though).

If you want the stock plugs that come in the 05 GT from the factory, the number is SILFR6A Subaru #22401AA670 Stock #7913. They have the exact same construction as the Iridium IX, tapered ends and Iridium center. However they have the proper gap of ~0.028-0.030 (I was not able to fit in my 0.030 feeler but 0.028 went in... I did not want to force it).

I got my plugs from Jeremy at FredBeansParts.com, I originally ordered the wrong ones and quickly caught it, as the gaps were different. Jeremy was really helpful to me and exchanged them for me. Not to mention free shipping. I was really happy about it as I was pulling my hair about making the wrong choice and screwing things. Two thumbs up for Jeremy, he saved the day with flying colors :)

Summary:

05 GT:

Stock: NGK SILFR6A Subaru #22401AA670 Stock #7913

One step colder: NGK LFR7AIX (not -11, if it has -11 it's the wrong gap)

Stock heat, bigger gap: LFR6AIX-11 (This should work on the 2.5i w/o regapping ) It will work in the GT but I do not wana risk it and went with stock.

and

Did I mention Jeremy at FredBeans rocks!?

Edited by epicbard