LegacyGT.com

Spark Plug Install Instructions

• Replies 870
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Drivers side rear is so easy I can video tape it and show u how fast i can remove it and install it. Disconnect the connector, rotate the coil pack a certain way and it comes from the top.

After some of your comments on this forum you should really stfu :)

I think he's joking - the smiley. :)

But then again, I think that many of us harbor ill-will towards you for saying how easy it is! :lol::) You've *gotta* show us your trick!

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

Drivers side rear is so easy I can video tape it and show u how fast i can remove it and install it. Disconnect the connector, rotate the coil pack a certain way and it comes from the top.

i agree. i wouldn't say stupid easy, but after that connector is unplugged, it was fairly easily rotated and pulled up and out.

I think he's joking - the smiley. :)

But then again, I think that many of us harbor ill-will towards you for saying how easy it is! :lol::) You've *gotta* show us your trick!

Im not trying to be a mr. know it all or anything, I just want to share a technique that I found to the community to make things less of a headache. :)

I will take a video tonite and post it.

Just did mine a couple of hours ago. It took me much longer than it should have (~2.5-3 hrs). I spent most of my time trying to get the drivers side rear coil pack on. Both fronts slipped on real easy, but both of the rears were tough. I was able to get the passenger side rear on after some fiddling, but the drivers side was a nightmare. Here's the trick that I found worked. I was able to stick my sausage fingers in to where I could feel the tip of the spark plug. What was happening is the rubber shroud of the coil pack was not finding its way onto the tip of the plug but rather under or above it. I was trying to force the darn thing thinking maybe it was a little snugger fitting until I stuck my fingers in there and could tell they weren't lining up right. What I found is this. when inserting the coil pack, you need to turn it 180 degrees like everyone here has already mentioned. Next you need to make sure you can here/feel that the rubber shroud has found its way onto the tip of the plug. Next, and this was the crucial part for me, you need to slowly turn the coil pack back 180 degrees (to clearify, you had to turn it 180 degrees the wrong way to fit it into place, now you need to turn it back 180 degrees so that it will be in the correct placement and the bolt will line up with the hole.) and make sure you don't disengage the tip of the plug from the coil pack. If you feel it disengage, then repeat and be very careful to make sure the coil pack stays on the spark plug tip. When I was careful I was finally able to get the coil pack onto the spark plug and it slipped on with relative ease. I hope this helps someone else not to spend 45 minutes trying to get the drivers side rear coil pack on. :)

Oh one more thing... When I first started the car after the install, the car wouldn't turn over. The starter was going, but the engine wouldn't catch. I turned the key off, then tried again and the car turned over fine and is running smooth. I'm guessing that because i took the battery out that the ECU reset and was dong somthing weird the first time I tried turning it over. Has this happened to anyone else?

Had the same problem with the driver's side rear when I changed plugs a few weeks ago. Even when rotated the plug boot has to go in at an angle so it would miss the top of the plug. Bending the boot with your finger to guide it to the plug is the way to go but it's tight cramming your hand down there to get at it.

Any time you reset the ECU, which a battery disconnect will do, it takes a few seconds to "reboot" the first time it's powered up. Turning the ignition to just the On position and waiting a couple seconds (letting the gauge sweep complete is long enough) before starting is all it needs. If you don't, it just cranks for a while but will eventually fire up.

Alright cool. When I first started it and it didn't crank over my pants got a little heavier :lol: I thought I had really screwed something up. Makes sense what you say about the ECU rebooting etc, and that's kind of what I figured. I'm glad to know it's happened to everyone though. I am very happy as well that I did this. My plugs looked like crap!! That's with 56k of spirited driving on them. The car idols so smooth now and you're right it feels like it's brand new again. I'll probably end up switching to every 30k miles for the change, now that i'm not afraid to change the plugs and it should be MUCH easier next time around.