LegacyGT.com

Miata tips?

I'm thinking about getting a 1993 to 2000 Mazda Miata as a project/around town car.

I already have an automatic legacy as a DD and was curious if anyone here has much experience with them. I have sat in one to verify that I will fit in it and I heard that they went with a bigger engine in 1993 (1.8), but basically I was thinking about picking up one around 100k for cheap (preferably under 4k) and was curious what things I should look out for or if certain model years were better than others.

Also a good Miata forum could be good too. I probably won't be interested in buying anything for another 7 months, but I'm one of the people who get excited researching everything about it before making a decision.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

http://monstermiata.webs.com/

I've always wanted a Miata so I could put a Ford 351 under the hood. I read somewhere that a stock Miata with a stock Mustang 5.0 could do 0-60 in under 4 seconds and get through the slalom at over 70 MPH. Thats enough to hang with cars way out of the Miata's pricerange. In fact, some have even compared the converted V8 Miata to the famous Shelby Cobra, both in size and performance.

Then again, I brought this concept up to a Miata owner I used to work with and he said that having that much weight up front would compromise the balance of the car. This may be true, but I'm sure a decent set of suspension upgrades would more than compensate for the increased weight up front and added power.

I know this it probably out of the price range you're looking for, but if you got a Miata for $2,500, then a Ford 5.0 engine somewhere for $3,000 and had MonsterMiata do the install, you're looking at a fun, fast supercar capable of besting Lamborghini's and Porsche's at the track for around $12,500. That would probably be close to the "Turn-Key" price. For upgrades to the brakes, drivetrain and suspension as well as some maintanence items like a clutch and a new paint job you're probably looking at a price of around $17,000. Sounds good to me for a daily driver/sports car turned monster/supercar.

The forums at Miata.net are all the reference material you will ever need. Anything you could ever think of doing to those cars has already been done before, with pix and write-ups posted. It's an amazing wealth of information: enjoy your research.

I don't know as much about the early models; I bought mine new in 2002! My favorite vendor is good-win-racing.com ; lots of good reference information there, too. Sold mine in 2007 to facilitate a relocation, and have missed her ever since: they are an absolute blast to drive.

Seek first to understand, then to be understood.

In other words: SEARCH before you post!

My suggestion for a Miata is http://www.flyinmiata.com/V8/

I've toured the facility (sort of by accident, long story) and I have to say those cars look AWESOME!

Saw a Miata with an LS in it and to anyone but the trained Miata expert, it pretty much looked like any very lightly modded Miata. There was nothing that stood out as being a clue that this Miata was packing 600 hp! :D

The early Miatas (89-93) had a 1.6 litre engine some of which had the notorious "short nose crank" which becomes a problem when the pulley is removed to change the timing belt. 94-97 had a 1.8 litre engine and each year added more equipment (air bags etc.) which added weight. Advocates of the early cars claim hey are more "tossable" than later cars, but the later cars do benefit from safety equipment and greater chassis stiffness. Some 97s have a defective exhaust. The tip falls off, but a perfect excuse to replace it with a Borla. The cars are generally bulletproof, and the engine is a non-interference design so a broken timing belt will not result in a calamity. "R package" models are rare and were produced as club racers. Stiff suspension, no power anything, but many have A/C. Look for a well kept car, preferably garaged. The paint has no clear coat, so keeping it out of the sun helps preserve the appearance.

seems like this thread should have been posted in the mazda section. oh wait, we don't have a mazda section since this is a subaru forum.

you claim to "research" everything, and yet you can't figure out how to google "miata forum"? :confused:

A. I'm sure there are quite a few Mazda forums out there so I was looking for recommendations for good ones.

B. Most of us are coming from a similar place since we ended up purchasing and enjoying a Legacy GT so I was curious what the opinion of Subaru owners was.

Thanks for the info everyone. I probably won't jump into a V8 swap, though that is the endgame some future years down the road. Just looking for something fun to lean manual on, toss around at the track, and to have a guest car for when people visit me in Vegas.

Flyinmiata.com is were you want to go. They are here in Grand Junction and sale and make all there parts and sale all over the world. They have a v8 ls1-3 conversion and would kick any Subarues ass on and off the track. Trust me I have seen and road in one on and off the track. Cheep car to buy and work on.

Untill you have been in one, I wouldn't make fun of this car with this package. It isn't just a engin replacement it is the whole suspention, driveline, trany also. This car has our track record even with a hole sluu of highly mod subarues with guys that drive simi pro on profesional tracks all over the world.

Miata is a nice car to drive, however when I drive one with the roof up there is a bump in the roof.

Someone called that "Tragic".

And what to look out for? It's a tad tight under the hood, so you will need to have thin underarms to get to the oil filter. The worst problem is probably rust.

Personally I would look out for one with OBD-II system since it would make things a bit easier to diagnose and also broaden the availability of tools to use when tuning and doing a datalog.

The transmission is from what I heard "oversized" for that car, which means that you won't have to worry about that as soon as you pull a bit more power from the engine. The gearbox and differential can from what I understand be found in a pickup truck too.

A mesh to protect the radiator from gravel is something that you should concern as first "mod" since the opening under the bumper "eats" a lot of stuff that you want to keep out.

453747.png

Untill you have been in one, I wouldn't make fun of this car with this package. It isn't just a engin replacement it is the whole suspention, driveline, trany also. This car has our track record even with a hole sluu of highly mod subarues with guys that drive simi pro on profesional tracks all over the world.

So you are saying that an engine that uses PUSHRODS can outperform a technologically advanced power plant like the EJ25 and a world class suspension like that found in a Spec B :eek:

Not possible.

I'm in the process of picking up one myself to auto-x. Def go with a 1.8 model with low mileage and in good condition. Timing belt and water pump are the biggest things to look out for or expect to replace if the car has 80k + on it. It also seems the other two big things are the seals going in the brake master cyclinder (check if any paint damage around that area) and problems with lifters (see if engine is noisy) Good luck.

MAYHEM

#122/22 STS NNJR SCCA

AUTOX4U.COM

XENON RETRO GUIDE

Rao, all you like to do is think you know everything!!!!!!!!!!!. (1) Have you ever been in a v8 Miata? (2) If no than shut up. It may look good on paper and in a mag's, but if you have not been in one on a track, then you have nothing to say about it. If you have well then you have a opinion to say. Miatas are a great car to track and auto cross. You diff want the 1.8 if you are going to buy one for racing.

You also say the spec B has a world class suspention, Ya right. not even close.

Oh goodie: looks like Rao's got one on the line; let's see how long it takes to reel him in...

:munch:

To the OP: a Miata is a GREAT choice to learn to drive a MT on: very easy and very rewarding to drive due the light weight and slick tranny.

Racing Beat is another great Miata vendor. I had their exhaust header and Sways on my car: quality pieces. I learned to be a shade-tree mechanic on my Miata: before buying that car I had never even changed the oil on a car before. But the Miata is easy to work on and miata.net provides all the walk-throughs you need for just about any project. And as everyone here already knows: once you start modding, it's awfully hard to stop!

Seek first to understand, then to be understood.

In other words: SEARCH before you post!

Rao, all you like to do is think you know everything!!!!!!!!!!!. (1) Have you ever been in a v8 Miata? (2) If no than shut up. It may look good on paper and in a mag's, but if you have not been in one on a track, then you have nothing to say about it. If you have well then you have a opinion to say. Miatas are a great car to track and auto cross. You diff want the 1.8 if you are going to buy one for racing.

:eek:

Those V8s don't have any technology in them, are crude and heavy. A EJ257 is obviously a superior engine.

The Spec B isn't world class :eek: That is really funny. I have read that the Legacy GT is faster than any Porsche and better than a Lamborghini and that it is faster than Corvettes, Mustangs and pretty much every car ever made or ever to be made; imagine how much better a Spec B is.

This guy obviously isn't familiar with rao.

Archived