LegacyGT.com

Miata tips?

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ace puts diagonals on front hoop, not sure I like that. I've got the rear glass and the M2 works with two diagonals. Would probably be fine with the sport, but who know what the future holds???

Opened the doors up and serviced the window guide channels. Drivers door window was barely moving in the cold. Also replaced the upper shift boot yesterday. Last part of the shifter rebuild that was delayed by a couple of months.

All I need now is a hill holder and a center passing light...

We also changed the oil i the top of trans where shifter sits. Noticeably improved going from first to second.

I'm almost talked in to the ACE bar... sits further back, which means a little more head clearance. I need all the seat travel I can get in this car. Since the center of the back of my head hits the top of the seat, don't want to resting the noggin on the bar. Looks like Ace gets me ~2" more space.

Ordered the Ace bar directly from HardDogFab. Double diagonals, vinyl cover, and harness bar. +$70 shipping... ouch.

hah. we are about to do the same. our car is on the street a lot so we didn't want the bar too close to our heads. even with padding. also install is much easier with ace. however in order to pass a broom stick test at a real track if required we'll prob need different seats to lower us down. well at least for me. my friend is about 4" shorter then me.

i also had to change both shift boots and the oil. it was a mess :)

we are about to rip off the intake manifold to clean it, along with tb, egr, iac, maf, tps, etc.

MAYHEM

#122/22 STS NNJR SCCA

AUTOX4U.COM

XENON RETRO GUIDE

Hard Dog says they have the configuration I wanted in stock, so they will be able to ship it fairly quick.

Most track day this one will see will be for driver's course for my wife. Maybe this spring at VIR northcourse.

I have a new top to go on but have to get some weather stripping as well. Also still debating on replacing the broken fog light. Luckily not needing to spend money on the Leggy right now.. oopps forgot about the coilover rebuild, damn. Might pull those this weekend and get them shipped to teinusa.

hah. we are about to do the same. our car is on the street a lot so we didn't want the bar too close to our heads. even with padding. also install is much easier with ace. however in order to pass a broom stick test at a real track if required we'll prob need different seats to lower us down. well at least for me. my friend is about 4" shorter then me.

i also had to change both shift boots and the oil. it was a mess :)

we are about to rip off the intake manifold to clean it, along with tb, egr, iac, maf, tps, etc.

I keep getting an intermittent CEL/code for EGR system. So looks like a take down of EGR and maybe cleaning the intake mani is on my list too..

I keep getting an intermittent CEL/code for EGR system. So looks like a take down of EGR and maybe cleaning the intake mani is on my list too..

i get a random p0505- idle control system cel. sometimes on sometimes off. anyways its going to be fun to track down. occasionally the idle with flutter around. generally it does sit back down at 850-900ish when coming to a stop. who knows. going to test out all the systems and see what happens. but i know for a fact the inside of our intake manifold is solid black so...

MAYHEM

#122/22 STS NNJR SCCA

AUTOX4U.COM

XENON RETRO GUIDE

Shell 93 + a bottle of techron and ~20miles later the light went off. Coincidence?? Maybe just a LD50 dose of seafoam?? I Just put platinum plugs in last fall and changed oil ~500 miles ago. So I might put in a cheap set of plugs right before next oil change and hit it strong with seafoam... Then put the NGk platinum plugs back in again.

UPS says my roll bar is on a UPS truck and should be delivered today.

Shell 93 + a bottle of techron and ~20miles later the light went off. Coincidence?? Maybe just a LD50 dose of seafoam?? I Just put platinum plugs in last fall and changed oil ~500 miles ago. So I might put in a cheap set of plugs right before next oil change and hit it strong with seafoam... Then put the NGk platinum plugs back in again.

UPS says my roll bar is on a UPS truck and should be delivered today.

nice. our fatcat motorsports nb shock mounts / bushings / and bumpstops arrived yesterday. looking forward to almost 1 more inch of suspension travel. expensive parts though. prob installing them on sat with some racing beat springs.

MAYHEM

#122/22 STS NNJR SCCA

AUTOX4U.COM

XENON RETRO GUIDE

Fatcat has about the best deal on bumpstops. I got my ES bushings through 949, iirc...

The long bolt on the bottom rear A-arm is a PITA. If you get it to move some, just spray it with blaster and knock it back in and turn the whole bolt. Then try again to take it out. Repeat as necessary. I ended up replacing one of them since the threads were pretty bad after getting it out.

Fatcat has about the best deal on bumpstops. I got my ES bushings through 949, iirc...

The long bolt on the bottom rear A-arm is a PITA. If you get it to move some, just spray it with blaster and knock it back in and turn the whole bolt. Then try again to take it out. Repeat as necessary. I ended up replacing one of them since the threads were pretty bad after getting it out.

Thanks for the tip. I'm hoping to get lucky since the car is from CA with almost no rust. We'll see. I'll let you know how it goes.

I have ES f&r control arm and rear diff bushings, and steering rack bushings on their way from flying miata.

MAYHEM

#122/22 STS NNJR SCCA

AUTOX4U.COM

XENON RETRO GUIDE

I also replaced the boots on my Ball joints and Tie rod ends. You will need something like this if you pulling any of the ball joints:

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/OTC-6297-BALL-JOINT-SEPARATOR/dp/B0015PN010/ref=sr_1_1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1299265981&sr=1-1]Amazon.com: OTC - BALL JOINT SEPARATOR (6297): Automotive[/ame]

there is not enough room between the upper and lower ball joints to use the other type.

I also replaced the boots on my Ball joints and Tie rod ends. You will need something like this if you pulling any of the ball joints:

Amazon.com: OTC - BALL JOINT SEPARATOR (6297): Automotive

there is not enough room between the upper and lower ball joints to use the other type.

Thanks for the tip. Our tie rod boots are near their end as well.

Everything came apart pretty easily, especially the rear. Biggest pain was the koni shock shafts like to spin and spin and we had a seized nut on top. Also we had to get creative for some dust boots we picked up at autozone.

Anyway the car rides SOOOO much smoother with the increased suspension travel and better bump stops. Even with the firmer springs and lowering the car more then it was it rides better. THE NB strut mount conversion really changes everything.

MAYHEM

#122/22 STS NNJR SCCA

AUTOX4U.COM

XENON RETRO GUIDE

• 2 weeks later...
Roll bar bolt-in was completed on wed night. Today started putting stuff back together again. Decided to go ahead and replace the top with the one I have had laying around since last fall. Rain rail on the car was shot, so now have to wait for a new one to come in. Should be here tues, and hope to have the top back together by wed/thurs. Foglights are toast as well. Looking for something other than the $160 stock hella's right now.

• 4 weeks later...
New top survived yesterday's rain, so far so good. Going to be hard to leave top up for the break in period. I cleared the first top with a little bit of head room. The replacement from hydro-electric just brushes the top of my hair. Annoying. I'm due for a hair cut, so we will see if that puts me back in spec. Still need fogs.

leaving the top down is hard. especially if nice weather. our plans changed. hard dog ace in enroute now, but we had a change in plan. we went with 15x9 6ul wheels and 225/45 hankook rs3s and will be jumping into the str auto-x class to go after the s2ks :) we also have custom fat cat 600/375 coils being built :) rolled the fenders last weekend. will finally post some pics up after everything is in.

MAYHEM

#122/22 STS NNJR SCCA

AUTOX4U.COM

XENON RETRO GUIDE

Sweet. I keep looking at the 6ul wheels. They are great looking and the price/choices are awesome.

What are you running for brakes?

no abs on our car

for now...

-centric premium f&r rotors

-stoptech street front pads

-hawk hp+ rears

-ss lines from goodwin

-ate superblue

now the rear seems to lock before the front right which keeps us from snowplowing through a turn, but the rear end can come loose. for now its the better of the 2 evils

i have been contemplating converting to an oem sport brake setup, but our oem may be fine for us and im not sure we want the added weight of larger rotors.

if we were staying in the STS class we were going to swap our 15x7 tr motorsports for some 15x7.5 konig lightspeeds. they weight the same but that .5" would be better for the 205 z stars we're running.

MAYHEM

#122/22 STS NNJR SCCA

AUTOX4U.COM

XENON RETRO GUIDE

lol, I was very close to pulling the trigger on the TRmototorsport rims. Decided to keep the stock wheels and do the roll bar instead. Running All season tires right now, since I had to put tires on last fall when the legacy was down, decided to play it safe and cheap. Besides bigger wheels would only want me to have bigger brakes.

It's amazing how cheap brake kits are for the miata. Makes my Legacy jealous!

These might be worth it for you during auto-x:

http://hardbrakes.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=6_7_129_626&products_id=56

• 2 weeks later...

Archived