LegacyGT.com

Miata tips?

I bought a 91 about 18 months ago to keep miles off of the Legacy. Since then I have put about 14,000 miles on the Miata and about 3000 miles on the Legacy. Its a fun car to drive and has been very reliable. From reading Miata.net I get the impression that the car will run forever if maintained properly. The 1990 and early 1991's had a problem called short nose crank, also there are problems with some of the 1999's which can result in spun rod bearings. Not sure of the particulars but I have seen some of the owners run into problems. Mine has a roll bar and I dont know if I would want to drive the car without one.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Subscribed for comedy :lol:

rao is right. I herd something that nobody that puts a V8 in a Miata will ever admit. The first time you floor it, the dors won't close rite cuz the chasi will be diformed. That is retarded, who would do that? It's true, everyone knows the LS series motor is an ancient POS. Subaru makes better cars, they are Australian. Just like Holden.

Subscribed for comedy :lol:

rao is right. I herd something that nobody that puts a V8 in a Miata will ever admit. The first time you floor it, the dors won't close rite cuz the chasi will be diformed. That is retarded, who would do that? It's true, everyone knows the LS series motor is an ancient POS. Subaru makes better cars, they are Australian. Just like Holden.

ya and the miata that has this combo. doors open and shut from the last 4 years just fine. So you are saying the new z06 is a POS?

The Z06 chassis was built up to handle that torque. It has solid steel crossmembers. If it didn't, it would probably be 300lbs lighter.

The Miata is such a small and light car, it cannot possibly handle it.

The Z has nothing on the GTR.

JDM4life!

Look at the Flyinmiata web site to see what goes into this build and then coment. it isn't just a, take engin out and drop another on in. it is braces and the whole drive train. it only adds another 200 lbs to the car due to all block. I didn't mention anything about the z06 chassis. The z06 has a ls engin in it and you said all ls series motors are ancient pos? First off I was answering the question for the man that wanted to know about miatas. i was saying my opinion and what you can do with a miata and what has been done.

Well, where should i start....

Dont want to make is sound snappy or anything but I would like to claim that a miata is THE BEST handling car for the money. If you guys ever autoxed its almost always that miatas are at the top of the list. I am personally not the best driver and never really try hard to autox but usually place way at the top of the list when i autox.

If you want some pointers on what to do to a miata to make it the most fun car on road and track PM me.

here is little self ad:

http://i863.photobucket.com/albums/ab200/ttarlov/Afton%20Hill%20Climb/4896663495_d608360bf0_b.jpg

Rushin, looks amazing.

Right now I'm looking to pick up a stock one, it seems that 93 (when they switched to the 1.8L) to 2000 would be in my budget (under 5k).

I was mainly curious if you knew of any specific years to avoid.

I plan on buying a stock running one and as time passes and money trickles in to modify it. It won't be a track only car, I'll need it to function as an around town car too. Are the M editions worth it? Or can the extra parts that come with it be cheaply added later?

To be honest I have the worst year Miata. It has zero bracing from factory and has a short nose crank. However I had zero issues with it. Engine has 165k on it and I beat the crap out of the car running 12-14psi of boost. I did a timin belt last year and the key way on the crank looks pristine. You do not want to put supercharger on a abort nose Miata but turbo is totally fine.

M editions worth it, they all came with a torsion LSD which you want.

Older 1.6l engines are undestractable they are bult for boost come stock with oil squirters and all the feed ports for turbo oil supplies.

My friend has a 2001 with brand new drivetrain from a corvette. That thing is amazing. Drives like a Miata and handles amazing, and has power of a v8 monster. And absolutely no issues with flexing or any other rigidity iasues

Rushin, flexing issues was something I completely pulled out of my ass. 300 pount steel bars on the Corvette? I thought that was a dead give-away. Since the humor is gone and done, mustangendsley, rao swaps LS motors more often than you see your own penis. And I sure hope you're not a chick :lol:

Then WHY do you and rao have to be ass'es in every topic on this form and answer the questions the people are wanting to know? All you guys do is make fun of people trying to make a point or ask funny questions. you both can never give a straight answer and have to be ass'es about everything!!!

I am just relaying what I have learned on this forum about the performance capabilities of the Legacy and the :wub: Spec B :wub:

There was not a single thing that I posted in this thread that was not previously posted by some other person on this forum and meant to be serious. Just because folks like to make fun of V8s and "old" technology when they are pumping up the amazing King of Cars and then decide that those things don't matter later is not my fault.

I am surprised that no one asked how the Miata performs in the snow :lol:

Well, where should i start....

Dont want to make is sound snappy or anything but I would like to claim that a miata is THE BEST handling car for the money. If you guys ever autoxed its almost always that miatas are at the top of the list. I am personally not the best driver and never really try hard to autox but usually place way at the top of the list when i autox.

If you want some pointers on what to do to a miata to make it the most fun car on road and track PM me.

here is little self ad:

http://i863.photobucket.com/albums/ab200/ttarlov/Afton%20Hill%20Climb/4896663495_d608360bf0_b.jpg

I was looking at M editions but then I found a 97 with hardtop in great looking condition from cali but driven to east coast about a month ago (hoping for a minimal rust). I almost passed on it but then called mazda north america to run the vin and guess what? It has the pop equip pkg, rear diff, and no ABS!! perfect! It has 100k on it. Going to see it on sat and plan to return with it after a compression test and inspection.

MAYHEM

#122/22 STS NNJR SCCA

AUTOX4U.COM

XENON RETRO GUIDE

To be honest I have the worst year Miata. It has zero bracing from factory and has a short nose crank. However I had zero issues with it. Engine has 165k on it and I beat the crap out of the car running 12-14psi of boost. I did a timin belt last year and the key way on the crank looks pristine. You do not want to put supercharger on a abort nose Miata but turbo is totally fine.

M editions worth it, they all came with a torsion LSD which you want.

Older 1.6l engines are undestractable they are bult for boost come stock with oil squirters and all the feed ports for turbo oil supplies.

My friend has a 2001 with brand new drivetrain from a corvette. That thing is amazing. Drives like a Miata and handles amazing, and has power of a v8 monster. And absolutely no issues with flexing or any other rigidity iasues

So even the 89-92s are good in their own way, interesting.

I have a spec b, with sti tires and ion springs an my Miata could outhandle the spec b any day.

If you can find an R edition they are awesome, they are super light lots or bracing and no power steeing or ac. And come stock with bilstein shocks. They are rare but cool to have.

Archived