LegacyGT.com

Miata tips?

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply
TWB - I actually have an older (92) miata that I could set you up with pretty darn cheap. Like seriously. My gf has been nagging me to get rid of it since I don't drive it much since picking up the lgt. There's no doubt it needs cosmetic work, but mechanically it runs well, and the price could be right knowing its going to a loving home. Let me know if you are even somewhat interested in discussing it.

Bisbers, I would love to say yes right now, but I'm about to move to a new state for a new position, which in itself is going to cost me a fair amount while I get settled, so I probably won't be able to take you up on that offer too soon. If you can find a good home (or a great price) ahead of time, please go for it, as I don't think I'll be in the market for another 6 months or so depending on how things go.

Well TWB, get settled in and everything, and if you are still in the market, hit me up and see if I still have it - not really actively selling it, haven't bothered with listings or pictures or anything. If I had the time, money, and skill for a project car, I would certainly keep it.

Oh, and miata.net is an excellent resource.

• 2 weeks later...

I think I'm buying a 2000 Miata to drive while I get my LGT sorted out and running again. I won't be able keep it for very long, but I really like the car. I have it on a weekend test drive and will probably buy it tuesday. I'm going to need to put tires on it and was looking at sumitomo HTR 200 for value performance tire. Anyone have any other suggestions?

I has been a long time since I had driven a miata, but wow this car is fun!

All I need now is a hill holder and a center passing light...

• 4 months later...

Upgraded the Miata a bit. Well more like doing some over do TLC. Replacing stock Struts with KYB GR2's and replacing worn boots on Tie rod ends and Ball Joints. Also doing control arm bushings while it's all apart.

I swapped my Coilovers on the LGT on a Sunday by myself. I've had some help on the Miata, but I've already got 10+ hours in and have quite a bit of work to do until it's all back together. Lots of rusted bolts and slow going. Grrr.

I landed a test drive in a 05 Mazdaspeed Miata at a used car dealership. Neither my friend or I had any intention of buying, just wanted a joyride. I want to say that this car was incredible to drive. It felt like a go-kart with some boost. Good thing this dealer let us take it by ourselves, we drove that car HARD. If it wasnt for how small and impractical it is, I would want one.
On the search for a new DD...

• 2 weeks later...

I'm 6'2" and 225lbs. Getting in and out is a little tight sometimes, but I'm comfortable once in place. If it were my only car I'd figure out some way to make the seat 1" lower and get a quick release steering wheel.

All the bushings have been swapped and the new struts are in too. Ended up replacing the boots on the ball joints and putting new tie rod ends in as well. Oil change while she was up on jack stands to keep up to date on that too. Next she is off to the body shop for an alignment.

I'm 6'2" and 225lbs. Getting in and out is a little tight sometimes, but I'm comfortable once in place. If it were my only car I'd figure out some way to make the seat 1" lower and get a quick release steering wheel.

My friend's Miata has one:

http://www.bedug.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=37968&g2_serialNumber=2

http://www.bedug.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=11250&g2_serialNumber=7

http://www.bedug.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=11253&g2_serialNumber=7

453747.png

^ Is that a right hand drive Miata with an automatic? Is it possible to be any more of a chick car?

Considering that my friend with that car suffers from MS the automatic is an evil necessity and he selected it RHD because when he parks he can fall on the sidewalk instead of in traffic.

He had to give up riding motorcycles due to his MS.

453747.png

Alternately you could just move to rural South Dakota and leave it unlocked with the top down, keys in the ignition, and $500 in cash on the seat. You'll probably still have all of it there when you come back a few hours later.

^ Sometimes true. You could even get away with that in many towns (not on the Indian reservations though). People where I live don't even lock the doors to their homes, it is crazy in my opinion but their choice.

If you lock the door when you leave then it's obvious that you aren't home instead of taking a nap - and then the crowbar comes in handy to take down the door, which will take a week to get fixed.

I think that's the way of their thinking. And it probably works there.

453747.png

• 4 weeks later...
Alignment done after a few trips here and there. Car feels very nimble now. Kinda wish I had spent the cash and done the springs sways and better struts, but it is fun and the ride is comfortable. Looking at a Harddog roll bar. I like everything about the M2 hardcore except the $500 pricetag.

Alignment done after a few trips here and there. Car feels very nimble now. Kinda wish I had spent the cash and done the springs sways and better struts, but it is fun and the ride is comfortable. Looking at a Harddog roll bar. I like everything about the M2 hardcore except the $500 pricetag.

why get the hardcore unless you need a solo 1 approved bar for road racing? you cant use a soft top with glass window with it and less room from the bar to your head. i'm going with their double diagonal braced ace bar with harness bar instead.

MAYHEM

#122/22 STS NNJR SCCA

AUTOX4U.COM

XENON RETRO GUIDE

Archived