LegacyGT.com

Parts from other models/years that fit our 5th gen.

The one recently in this thread isn't even a GT, just a pep boys hoodscoop probably stuck on with double sided tape. A 2.5i faking the funk. :lol:

Oh thanks. I didn't notice the severity of the rice factor!

I can't tell you which brands the add-ons were as I didn't ask the owners. The problem ones had some additional plastic inside the throat area which made the 'throat' narrower. Despite the cooler area on the 5th gen being much larger than the 4th / GH8, the scoop is much smaller. Tidy and subtle, but not efficient.

Edited by fahr_side
Obligatory '[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2008-gh8-238668.html?t=238668"]build thread[/URL]' Increased capacity to 2.7 liters, still turbo, but no longer need spark plugs.

• Replies 639
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 3 weeks later...

Seriously...think about it for a second. An STi and a Legacy are different chassis, with different weight distribution, width, length and other subtle suspension geometry differences, not to mention, different handling characteristics that require unique spring rates front and back, for each chassis. You could put them on, and they would likely fit, but you are going to get all sorts of unwanted and unanticipated results in handling, ride height and ride dynamics.

Although on the surface, I agree that to the layperson, it would seem that springs were interchangeable if most other suspension parts are. That may have been somewhat true with the early GC/GD and BC/BD chassis of the Impreza and Legacy, but that was mostly due to the fact that the GC's development was largely based on the BC chassis and as time passed the BD and GD chassis's did not "grow" in size compared to their predecessors. Now the Legacy BM is significantly bigger than the GR chassis which makes a bigger difference in the few unshared components such as springs.

For example, most coilover manufacturers spec 5k/5k (f/r) or 6k/6k springs front and rear for the 5th Gen Legacy. Whereas those same manufacturers spec 8k/6k or 8k/7k or even 9k/8k for an STi. Translate from race springs to OEM style (or aftermarket) progressive lowering springs, and that tells us that the Legacy needs almost the same spring rate on all four corners, whereas the STi uses softer rears. For further comparison, because of the completely different rear suspension geometry of the 4th Gen Legacy (BL chassis), those same coilover manufacturer specs 6k/8k for that chassis, which is completely different to achieve the same balance.

In short...stick with lowering springs designed for your chassis and you will have something that works well and gets you the results that are claimed by the product.

Edited by GTEASER

As I recall, GR springs on BR has been tried. They fit, but are too short and too soft. If you're talking about the pink springs for the tS, good luck finding them!

Not at all sure these are the tS springs... https://www.japanparts.com/parts/list.php?dl=1&cm=157&md_sm=3:9

Edited by fahr_side
Obligatory '[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2008-gh8-238668.html?t=238668"]build thread[/URL]' Increased capacity to 2.7 liters, still turbo, but no longer need spark plugs.

This guy recently got STi pink Legacy Wagon springs for his Outback that he was lowering. These are going to have higher rear spring rates than the sedan... because wagon. Check out his thread.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4966528&postcount=5

• 1 month later...
Legacy noob here. After reading through this entire thread last night, I'm not sure if I missed it, but can you chime in to correct me if I'm wrong? So are Coilovers from an '08+ Wrx a direct fit? I thought I saw something about the front top hats from the Legacy being different, yet I thought some people posted you can swap? Then I thought I read that the spring rates may or may not be ideal since most '08+ WRX Coilovers come with same spring rates front and rear? Is it one of those deals where it can swap, but may not be ideal?

First of all, welcome and thank you for reading!! So many new members don't read or search first.

What brand of coilover are you considering? I am asking because many of the coilover manufacturers make 5th Gen Legacy specific units.

First of all, welcome and thank you for reading!! So many new members don't read or search first.

What brand of coilover are you considering? I am asking because many of the coilover manufacturers make 5th Gen Legacy specific units.

Haha thanks for the welcome! I'm a Legacy noob, but lived on Nasioc daily when I had my '04Sti and '04 WRX wagon.

I'm considering BC's with the Swift upgrade because I have those on my GS and love them. They're fairly inexpensive and do a good enough job for my daily driving needs with that car, so I figured they'd work for the Legacy. Too. I had Fortune's on my LS430 with the standard Fortune Auto springs and wasn't as impressed as I was with the BC's.

However with that being said I was thinking of possibly looking into the Feal 441's. Odi has a fantastic reputation and strong following on Nasioc, so that alone made me feel a little more comfortable. I've only started researching Legacy stuff for a few days now and am still trying to read through all the stickies. Realistically, I want to stay under $1500 for coilovers, so even though I know Kw's would be awesome.....they're not in the budget with 3 kids and living out in Hawaii. Ideally a set it and forget set up would be ideal (not big on messing with dampening too much) but I know I will not get the ride height I want with a set of springs and fixed perch struts. I'm a self professed wheel whore and fitment junkie :cool:;) so I need height adjustment. Tough choice to make on such an important component. I just need to read a little more and get some feedback from guys that have worked with this platform for a while. Thanks in advance for any suggestions or feedback, I always appreciate those who take the time to help others.

You probably know, but BC makes a direct fit for our cars. If you go with the Feal 441's for GR chassis, the rears will bolt right in to ours but IIRC you will need them to supply the front coilovers with camber plates for a GD chassis because I think those are the same as ours. Also, you want the spring rates to be the same front and rear for our chassis.

You probably know, but BC makes a direct fit for our cars. If you go with the Feal 441's for GR chassis, the rears will bolt right in to ours but IIRC you will need them to supply the front coilovers with camber plates for a GD chassis because I think those are the same as ours. Also, you want the spring rates to be the same front and rear for our chassis.

Thanks for confirming that because I wasn't conpletely sure the differences. I tried emailing Odi this afternoon to ask some questions, but a vendor had mentioned to me that he can do a Legacy specific coilover, but that it just wasn't listed on their site. Once I hear back I should be able to make a decision. The Feals are just a touch more costly than the BC/Swift combo, but his reputation is pushing me a little more in their direction. Has anybody here tried the Feals on their Legacy's?

A few guys here are ranting over them on the new 15wrxs. Never even heard of the brand until a few weeks ago.

Apparently BC and FortuneAuto are produced by the same manufacturer (don't quote me on that) and the Feals are better quality. We shall see if any of them actually pull the trigger and buy a set. I helped a friend out Ohlins on his EVO a few days ago and all I can say when you ride on a car with quality coilovers it is a DRASTIC difference especially when pushing it and really beginning to see them shine as they're suppose to.

A few guys here are ranting over them on the new 15wrxs. Never even heard of the brand until a few weeks ago.

Apparently BC and FortuneAuto are produced by the same manufacturer (don't quote me on that) and the Feals are better quality. We shall see if any of them actually pull the trigger and buy a set. I helped a friend out Ohlins on his EVO a few days ago and all I can say when you ride on a car with quality coilovers it is a DRASTIC difference especially when pushing it and really beginning to see them shine as they're suppose to.

Really? I've heard Fortune's are made and serviced in the USA? Either way though BC's are still in the running.....somewhat. The hard thing is that I've had good (well, still have good feedback with my GS) experiences with the BC/Swift combo and unfortunately don't have any first hand experience with the Feal's. Reviews are good, but like with anything else you gotta' take it for what it's worth, right. Either way, research is my friend.

So would a 2006 BOV fit a 2010?

No.

Why do you ask this in this thread? Why not ask this here.... in the thread you created about BOVs?

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/bov-yes-noi-237603.html?t=237603

This is a thread for parts that are PROVEN to fit our cars from other models.

Really? I've heard Fortune's are made and serviced in the USA? Either way though BC's are still in the running.....somewhat. The hard thing is that I've had good (well, still have good feedback with my GS) experiences with the BC/Swift combo and unfortunately don't have any first hand experience with the Feal's. Reviews are good, but like with anything else you gotta' take it for what it's worth, right. Either way, research is my friend.

fortunes are ASSEMBLED and serviced in the USA. Parts are still manufactured overseas and imported here.

FEALs are sick and Odi is a suspension master. FEAL is a southern california company and their suspensions are absolutely RAMPANT out here. They use the same bodies as the big $1000 coilover companies, but they are custom valved and shimmed. In this sense FEAL is similar to Fortune, but having ridden in the same car with both suspensions back to back, the FEALs... feel better. more compliant, more controlled and less peaky.

you can always get BC and ship them to FEAL to have them reworked.

fortunes are ASSEMBLED and serviced in the USA. Parts are still manufactured overseas and imported here.

FEALs are sick and Odi is a suspension master. FEAL is a southern california company and their suspensions are absolutely RAMPANT out here. They use the same bodies as the big $1000 coilover companies, but they are custom valved and shimmed. In this sense FEAL is similar to Fortune, but having ridden in the same car with both suspensions back to back, the FEALs... feel better. more compliant, more controlled and less peaky.

you can always get BC and ship them to FEAL to have them reworked.

lol, exactly right. I went back and checked Fortune's website and they are in fact only put together here in the US. Thanks for the info on the Feals, that's exavtly the kind of feedback I was looking for. I'm just looking for a smooth and comfortable way to lower the car and minimize a bit of body roll. Not looking for a track monster at all.

lol, exactly right. I went back and checked Fortune's website and they are in fact only put together here in the US. Thanks for the info on the Feals, that's exavtly the kind of feedback I was looking for. I'm just looking for a smooth and comfortable way to lower the car and minimize a bit of body roll. Not looking for a track monster at all.

Don't expect a massive difference though, i don't want to build them up to something they are not. They are better, but not night and day better. in the end, you still have a value oriented suspension. as far as value oriented, height adjustable suspensions, FEAL is a good choice.

If you aren't going to be using all the adjustments that a coilover provides semi regularly, i would just go with something like a Swift/koni setup.

Don't expect a massive difference though, i don't want to build them up to something they are not. They are better, but not night and day better. in the end, you still have a value oriented suspension. as far as value oriented, height adjustable suspensions, FEAL is a good choice.

If you aren't going to be using all the adjustments that a coilover provides semi regularly, i would just go with something like a Swift/koni setup.

Agreed. I'm just happy to know that there are reasonably priced options out there. I'm not super well versed in suspension set ups, but I know what works/feels good enough for me. I've personally had a standard BC set up and then a BC/Swift set up in my GS300 and was able to feel a nice difference just with how the Swifts helped to control and absorb bumps better. Not night and day, but noticeable nonetheless. I would imagine that being that this was only with the standard BC damper, that the Swifts paired with either the Feals or Fortune dampers would be another noticeable gain as well. That in itself will likely be right where I want to be. The main thing is that it passes the "wife and kids" test. Both will likely work well, I just need to pick one already! I'm going to try and call Odi this morning and ask a few more questions and hopefully order my coilovers by the end of the week. Thanks again for the honest feedback and setting of expectations. I appreciate it...

choose your rates wisely. it can be an expensive ($$ and time) proposition to change them out.

Agreed. In any case, I spoke with Odi this morning (great guy, very informative and answered all my questions without being biased....which I can truly appreciate.) He mentioned that they typically set these up with ride comfort more as a priority than performance. I'm guessing this is likely because if tracking the car or auto-x'ing, the owner would likely already come in with specific spring rate requests anyways. There must be a large market for "guys like me" that want to lower more than the standard inch or inch and a quarter that the majority of the quality springs lower the car. While at the same time want to keep somewhat "stock like" ride comfort without running the risk of getting beaten by their significant others. Looks like Feal is in the lead right now. Just waiting on some price quotes before I pull the trigger. I'm fairly certain that I'll be happy with either choice. The real fun is in the hunt!