LegacyGT.com

Sparco Drift ?

TSiWRX

Thank you for the translations - that will help, indeed, as Google's translator, the last time I tried, wasn't completely cooperative. :)

Well, in the 2009 NAF test the Nokian scored 8.4 overall, and the Pirelli scored 8.3. From my quick look at the test data summaries, they score like close twins. You may want to look at that data to see if there are any big differences that can help with your choice.

That's pretty much what I mean (although I have yet to examine the data in-detail, which I will need to do [away from work, that is, as you can see by the WS70 thread how easily I can screw up numbers, when I'm already looking at other charts of data :lol::lol::redface:])...it was the same in last year's Swedish test, which I'd cross-cited on the NASIOC thread, when we were discussing the Xi2/WS60 concern with Luke.

For an older tire (unless they updated things recently?), it's dong very well.....

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 4 weeks later...

Cooper has a new winter tire, the studdable Weather Master WSC.

http://www.coopertires.com/html/products/tires_suv.aspx?page=weather_master_wsc

It had a favorable subjective test here:

http://www.canadiandriver.com/2010/08/25/auto-tech-cooper-winter-tires.htm

I've never had a set of Coopers, but they have a large presence here in north Idaho.

^ Very interesting - thank you. :)

Man, if I delay any longer, the winter-tire purchasing season is gonna start! :redface:

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

http://www.discounttiredirect.com/direct/searchWinterTiresByVehicleAndSize.do?yr=2004&ar=45&rd=17&vid=008401&sw=true&cs=225

^ Does that direct-link work for you?

Is Discount Tire Direct actually responding to members' suggestions on SubaruForester.org?

I like those Cooper tires. Many people run Cooper tires up here in North Idaho. The weather-master tires have a huge presence in the winter as well as the Toyo Observe (Any verison of it) and the Hankook iPikes. Les Schwab sells the Toyo's and Hankook's and Perfection tire sells the Coopers. Those are the only two places we have up here in Sandpoint so that is what the majority of the people go. I live in a ski resort town also so that might have some meaning on how all those tires do.

I've never had snow tires before so I can't comment on any of them personally. For the last 3 winters I have ran my sipped Toyo Proxes TPT and they have been great.

^ Yep, people bred and born where there's the white stuff on the ground typically inherently "know" how to drive in the stuff. :)

Interesting note on the Coopers. Thanks!

Here in NE-Ohio, the Firestone Winterforce and Bridgestone Blizzak WS and LM series seem to be the overwhelming favorites, when looking at the entire population.

I had never heard of either of those tires (Winterforce and Blizzak) until I got on here. No one uses those in my area. I honestly would never get Blizzaks because I don't like the name Blizzak. I know it is weird but that's just the way I am. I also just don't care for the tread patterns on Blizzaks. I like winter tread patterns like the iPikes, winter carving, and altimax arctic. They just seem more aggressive to me. I also will never use Firestone after their big ordeal with tires a few years back. My grandpa runs Cooper CS4's on his Outback year round and those are awesome.

I had never heard of either of those tires (Winterforce and Blizzak) until I got on here. No one uses those in my area.

It's indeed very interesting how geography plays in all of this. As you've observed, different areas' population will have different perceptions of what a winter tire "should be."

I honestly would never get Blizzaks because I don't like the name Blizzak. I know it is weird but that's just the way I am.

That's not weird at all. :lol: My wife refuses to buy Mazdas because she doesn't like the way their current symbol/crest looks, Toyotas because she thinks they should be named "Toyodas" (or else, Fords, "Forts"), and Nissans/Infinitis because of the way they smell.

So, no, I don't think you're weird, at all.

I also just don't care for the tread patterns on Blizzaks. I like winter tread patterns like the iPikes, winter carving, and altimax arctic. They just seem more aggressive to me.

Subjectivity can figure into tire purchases. Look at how the upstart Asian brands cater to the younger "Tuner" crowd, with their aggressive tread-pattern styled tires.

Know, however, that this could unduly influence your purchase decision - yes, tread does matter, when it comes to performance, but you don't want to just look at the cover of the book.

I also will never use Firestone after their big ordeal with tires a few years back.

If you're going to use this criteria, before soon, you'll stop using all tires. :p Virtually every major maker or its sub-brand has had some form of mishap or embarrassment.

Be careful to not draw sweeping conclusions. :)

I would buy a Mazda, I like how the new 3's smile haha

I'm getting the Bridgestone G019 Grid before winter this year. I'm getting them 50 miles away from town and I'm not telling my dad I'm getting them because he believes I should get Toyo's but since Les Schwab has the market corned up here I'm going somewhere when I can get tires for the GT in the $500 range instead of the $600 and $700 range.

I'll also get to test out the Toyo Observe snow tires this year because the wagon came with them lol So I am kinda excited to try them out because they are something different than what I'm used to.

I think my mom's Yukon XL had Firestone tires on it when we first bought it... But I can't say for sure it had those because I was only 9 when we got it. All the GM SUV's came with Firestone Wilderness tires back then though.

For what its worth…

I’ve been using the previous version of the Coopers (Weathermaster S/T2) studless, for quite a few years now and really like them. I live in central Washington and drive a lot, my commute to work amounts to 30,000+ miles a year. For 11 years it was back and forth over the Cascades 5 days a week and now to north Idaho weekly… lots of snow miles.

I’ve tried the stud experiment and for me a good studless snow tire with a sipped design is best, specially with a commute that can range through dry, wet, slush, snow and ice all in the same day.

Gary

^ Thank you for weighing-in. :)

Hummmm.....maybe I should search up the Coopers.....

• Mega Users
What do you guys think about the General Tire Altimax Arctic? Very high ratings on tirerack with both reviews and test results...also very cheap comparable to the others. In their tests, it does considerably better on ice and snow than the pirelli winter carving.

What do you guys think about the General Tire Altimax Arctic? Very high ratings on tirerack with both reviews and test results...also very cheap comparable to the others. In their tests, it does considerably better on ice and snow than the pirelli winter carving.

Highlighted. ;)

While the Pirelli Winter Carving/EDGE models have undergone progressive improvements/refinements, the Altimax Arctic is an older tire.

Look at:

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1608459&page=32

^ which references to an early reply that Luke, from TireRack, made, on page 31 (my screen-name on NASIOC is "LGT+WRX" - in that thread, when Luke posts replies within the OP's field, he edits them so that his replies are in RED lettering).

The TireRack testing of the Altimax Arctic does not mesh, in terms of data, at all whatsoever, with virtually any of the European tests of the last several years, in which the Pirelli has overtaken even the Gislaved NordFrost 5 - which is a more advanced variant than the Altimax Arctic, a "rebadged" NordFrost 3.

Overall, however, if your end-needs mesh well with the strengths of the Altimax Arctic - notably deeper-powder moving as well as, if you're using the studded variant, its ability to chew into hardpack snow and ice, then, particularly given its price, it would definitely be a viable option.

Here is a little review I stumbled upon while looking up some tire reviews, it is for the Cooper Weather Master WSC.

^ Check a few posts higher up, on the previous page, and you'll find:

Cooper has a new winter tire, the studdable Weather Master WSC.

http://www.coopertires.com/html/products/tires_suv.aspx?page=weather_master_wsc

It had a favorable subjective test here:

:)

What kind of rims do y'all think I'm gonna need, to run the Nokian Hakka W106?

:lol:

Goodyear has a new, studdable tire for the North American market.

".........The Ultra Grip Ice WRT offers Goodyear’s “Winter Reactive Technology,” a combination of features that work together to help provide a balance of starting, stopping and turning action in a variety of weather conditions, according to the tiremaker. The tire features 2- and 3-dimensional tread blades, a directional tread design, rim protector, optional studs and a winter grip compound. There are two distinct tread designs – one for light-truck applications, and one for SUV/crossover vehicle applications......"

http://www.tirereview.com/Article/79303/goodyear_heads_south_for_winter_tire_rollout.aspx

^ Do you have a subscription to tyrepress? :redface: Should I sign-up for the free trial?

If they brought the A4 over here, that would, I think, be an even better bet for me, for my "transitional season" tires, than my wearing 3Ds.....

Nifty! Thanks! :)

No, I don't subscribe. I scan their main page for anything of interest, and if I want to read a full article, I access it via a google search. To read the article in full from their main page, you have to be a subscriber. But they have left a google loophole for us non-subscribers.

Archived