LegacyGT.com

Sparco Drift ?

TSiWRX

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes, they'll fit Sara's FXT - actually, the Xi2s fitted to her FXT now are the ones we carried over from her '05 WRX (215/50/17), which are fitted to my LGT's OEM 5-spokes.

She looses about 3/4 of an inch or so of ground-clearance (going from the factory 225/55/17 to the 215), but at nearly 9 inches from the factory, that's not much of a worry. It's only annoying that the height loss seems to be just right that I bump my forehead into the rear door frame when buckling-in Anna, every winter. :lol:

Two feet of fresh powder the length of our driveway should not be a problem at all, especially if I don't make any turns. :D

Now, whether she'll be able to break through the 5-ft. wall of packed snow that would, under such conditions, barricade our driveway from the neighborhood street?

Her car's a lease. What do I care!? :lol:

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

^ Sexy to you (and me) would be the stack of my 3Ds on top of my Xi2s on top of these studded beasts, no?

;)

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

Yes, they'll fit Sara's FXT - actually, the Xi2s fitted to her FXT now are the ones we carried over from her '05 WRX (215/50/17), which are fitted to my LGT's OEM 5-spokes.

She looses about 3/4 of an inch or so of ground-clearance (going from the factory 225/55/17 to the 215), but at nearly 9 inches from the factory, that's not much of a worry. It's only annoying that the height loss seems to be just right that I bump my forehead into the rear door frame when buckling-in Anna, every winter. :lol:............

And the Forester wiper blades also fit on your LGT, right? I saw a comment here that the Forester wipers looked a lot better than the Legacy wipers. I haven't seen the Forester blades, are they super cool?:lol:

P.S. My rubber fetish has spread from tires to wipers!!:eek::lol:

And the Forester wiper blades also fit on your LGT, right? I saw a comment here that the Forester wipers looked a lot better than the Legacy wipers. I haven't seen the Forester blades, are they super cool?:lol:

As long as it doesn't spread back from wipers to rubbers. :wub::eek::p

TSi-WRX, you need to take a pic of these wheels and tires! I want to see them!

^ Well....

The pix are going to come out exactly like the TireRack's. :p I won't mount them for the first time until November 1st....since they're now stacked away in my garage.

---

You know, I haven't even looked....

What I do know is that I've already replaced the SH's wiper blades once. I think it was right before the winter season, last year, so it's been just under a year. It's currently on a set of Bosch Icons up front (standard generic rear), and FWIW, the last I recall (probably some time two weeks ago?), the fronts were still working fine.

Now that you've sparked my interest, I'm gonna dig up her spares (the OEM, carried in the trunk), to see if they cross-fit.

I honestly have never had a complaint of our wipers - but then again, I do tend to replace them regularly: and yes, I'm a sucker for the PIAA SuperSilicone refill inserts. :redface:

^ And:

^ :lol::lol::lol: I agree with stevehecht - if it starts to spread back, you've gotta go see someone! :lol:

OK, no, seriously:

I've been using the PIAA refills for a while, now. Tending to replace every year, which means that I get to it before it's necessary. I've yet to note any problems with streaking or noise. I don't know if having kept the winglet on the driver's side helped or not, since I don't typically drive at hyperlegal speeds in the wet, anymore (my current set of summers compromises hydroplane resistance somewhat, so I've toned it down a bit, when it's wet out).

I've got at test set of RainX running on our nanny's Mariner and a set of Icons running on my father-in-law's (the set on Sara's FXT was bought because of a cool rebate-perk at the local Advance Auto - she needed it, and I liked the perk, so I decided, "why not") Camry. It's now been a year and a half, and either have yet to complain about them.

What I don't like about the Bosch units is the gigantic coupler between the blade and the wiper arm. When they're not being used, they look like little mountains. :lol:

............I've been using the PIAA refills for a while, now. Tending to replace every year, which means that I get to it before it's necessary. I've yet to note any problems with streaking or noise. I don't know if having kept the winglet on the driver's side helped or not, since I don't typically drive at hyperlegal speeds in the wet, anymore (my current set of summers compromises hydroplane resistance somewhat, so I've toned it down a bit, when it's wet out)...............

The PIAA refills are in your OEM wipers?

ADAC test of wipers.;):lol:

http://www.adac.de/infotestrat/tests/autozubehoer-technik/scheibenwischer/default.aspx

I am currently testing an el-cheapo pair of Anco wipers up front, and a Trico in the rear.

^ :lol: You know, I never looked, but I should've thought that they and the others would have tested wipers. I wonder what the CR data says. :lol:

Looks like they really liked the AeroTwin - cousin of the Bosch Icon here, Stateside? :confused:

No matter how good, I'm really hard-pressed to put a set on my car, though. The adapters really do look like icebergs.

And wouldn't you know it, they didn't test the PIAAs - which, I'm sure, I'm overpaying for. :redface:

FWIW, I truly think that the el-cheapo refills are just fine, as long as one's willing to keep up with the need to change them out more often.

Me? I'm lazy, and I find that the silicone ones like the PIAA tend to do quite will at least up until the 1 and 1/2 year mark, given my usage.

That gives me a lot of time to dick around, from when I think I may need a replacement, to the time I actually get to it. :lol:

^ Oops, sorry. I didn't mean that. What I meant was that I've had the PIAA SuperSporza wipers for a while now, and I simply go for the refills. Aside from the usual orange-colored residue that the RainX windshield washer/de-icer solution (I know, I could easily make my own, given my access to laboratory chemicals, but I like the orange :p) leaves on it, it's still rust-free and sturdy.

I assume the wing is for noise reduction and/or anti-lift. Does the Forester also have the wing?

The SH-Forester ('09+) does not have the wing on either the driver or the passenger front wiper - nor does it carry one for the rear.

I've always also thought that it was to either decrease lift or otherwise cut into the airstream to cut noise, too. Dunno. I don't see much high-speed travel in this car anymore, and from what I do remember of my longer-ago road-trips, I didn't see any untoward behavior of the driver's side wiper, either in-operation or not, even at definitely hyper-legal speeds.

But at the same time, I've also never had a driver's side without that device.

It may spread to belts, hoses, and grommets.:lol:

^ Oh noes...... :spin:

Just looked up my records - some time between the last week of June and the first couple of weeks of July, 2005, I switched over to the SuperSporza/SuperSilicone setup on the Legacy. Sara's WRX followed soon thereafter.

So, I'm grilling tonight, as-usual (I'm that crazy neighbor you'll see out grilling, when there's 5-ft. of snow piled up on either side of him; and yes, I make it a point of shoveling out a space in front of my grill, when we get our storms), and I was, like, "wow, it's actually beginning to feel like fall...."

I decide to come in and check out the extended 2011 winter predictions/forecasts, and it looks like the odds are split as to whether we'll get the usual amount of wintry precip. - or if we'll get pommeled.

:lol:

If the milder predictions are right, I could well see a winter completely without the need to run my new "deep winter" set! :lol:

Oh, the irony. :redface::p

^ :lol: You know, I never looked, but I should've thought that they and the others would have tested wipers. I wonder what the CR data says. :lol:..................:

CR:

"..............of wiper models we tested, three of the top four were among the least expensive. That includes the top-rated Valeo 600 Series, the Anco 31 Series, and the Michelin RainForce.............

We also found that all of the windshield wipers provided very good or excellent performance when new, but most quickly degrade after six to nine months of regular use. The RainX Latitude was the only wiper that began with very good performance and maintained that level through six months. All others dropped in performance after six months......................

Beam blades usually cost more than conventional wipers, but overall we didn’t see a notable advantage in regular use..............."

I like the beam blade style for winter use. I am trying the Valeo Ultimate again this winter, even though my previous experience with it a few years ago was not great. Yes, I know it's irrational.:lol:

^ Didn't Einstein say that insanity was "doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results," or something of the like? :lol:

You're not sucking me into your expanded rubber fetish!!! :p I'm gonna keep going with my PIAAs...even though I know that they were, at-best, mediocre in the CR tests (good start, weak finish). :p:);)

• 1 month later...

As everyone already knows, I suck at taking pictures, but here she is:

http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u259/TSi_WRX/120-2066_img.jpg

Sparco Drift, 17x8 +48, matte bronze w/black McGard spline-drives and an e-bay set of black-anodized valve stem caps that have the Subaru Pleiades in them.

And yes, those are Hella FF1000s, mounted to the Carr Light Wing. I very rarely get to use them, but over the last 3 years or so, there've been about two or three instances, per winter, where I've wanted more light. So that's why they're there, and only for the winter. They're hooked up to a trailer-type quick-disconnect on the other end, a nice and cheap way of getting a completely weatherproof connector.

Yes, I do wonder what they do in terms of wrecking my frontal LIDAR profile, even with the caps on.......

http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u259/TSi_WRX/120-2068_IMG.jpg

225/45/17 Pirelli Winter Carving, studded. Traditional "round" studs, sadly, but still, we'll see how they fare. :) If the reviews are anywhere near what I'll see, I'll be more than happy. I wish I could've gone with the Nokian Hakka 7s, but my then-pending trip to Dubai meant that I wanted to save as much of my "fun money" as I could. Turned out that Michelin really meant that they'd pay for *everything* on the trip :eek:. I spent only $300: souvenirs and meals/magazines at the airport only - if I'd known, I'd have splurged more for the Nokians, but as-is, I'm still pretty satisfied.

http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u259/TSi_WRX/120-2069_IMG.jpg

My sad attempt at re-creating the awesome pic from Auto Review. I need to wait 'till there's some snow on the ground. Hopefully we'll see some tonight and over the next few days, but it's actually warmed up throughout the day today. :(

As-usual, Winky is unwashed. :lol:

I've accumulated just north of about 20 miles on these new tires. No pushing on them yet, of course, but from what I can tell under very sedate driving, they seem very similar to my 3Ds.

More soon.

Please keep us informed. I am thinking about getting studded tired strinkly for washingtons random ash ice storms we get. We are soppose to have it pretty rough this year n I wnna be able to make it where ever I want to go so I'm debating studs or just winter dedicated tires.

Your Pirelli studliness will make you invincible.;)

Do your lights vibrate with that mounting?

I'm surprised your front lip hasn't been torn off by the snow. No problems with that?

We are getting 3 days of almost non-stop snow fall.:p:)

Please keep us informed. I am thinking about getting studded tired strinkly for washingtons random ash ice storms we get. We are soppose to have it pretty rough this year n I wnna be able to make it where ever I want to go so I'm debating studs or just winter dedicated tires.

Where I live, in the near-eastern suburbs of Cleveland, we see icing very rarely. Probably once or twice a season, and the worst of it can be avoided by simply staying home for an additional hour or two.

My local friends' thoughts - which I agree with most heartily - is that my enjoyment of these tires' true usefulness will probably be measured on the order of minutes per year: but that those might be very critical moments...cars sliding through side-street feeds onto major thoroughfares are something that most experienced NE-Ohio drivers watch out for, when the conditions are right.

While I hope to not need the capabilities of these tires (which should be a good match for our icing conditions, as-based on temperatures), I also, at the same time, hope to be able to report back with some honest experiences by the end of the winter.

-----

Your Pirelli studliness will make you invincible.;)

Hey, I thought that was *my* studliness! :p:lol: I'm too sexy for.... nevermind. :redface:

Do your lights vibrate with that mounting?

On our worst roadways (where there's actually a "Rough Road Ahead" sign), yes, I notice vibrations - but otherwise, no, they're surprisingly stable.

The caveat to that is that I've only used them once so far :lol: (like I said, I'm likely to truly need them twice a year, if that...but they do get the monster-truckers to give me the thumbs-up! :)), and with such short-duration experience, I don't know that I can say, for sure.

I'm surprised your front lip hasn't been torn off by the snow. No problems with that?

No problems at all, actually, and I'm just as surprised as you are that my lip survived last winter.

OK, so the garage-door rubber DIY lip was just fine for 2+ years, but that's expected.

My current lip is the RavSpec PU piece...I specifically waited for a poly piece because despite being a total CF freak, I knew that PU was going to have to be the way to go, living where I do (I used to drive slammed-to-the-ground DSMs), and that even the FRP ones were not going to make it.

I decided to just man-up last winter, not take the lip off, and see what would happen. Either I got really lucky, or it's really that durable. It's taken a number of hits (the main reason why I didn't get it painted or otherwise finished) and scrapes from off-kilter entrance-aprons and the like. Still good so far, knock-on-wood.

I'm going to continue with it this winter.

We are getting 3 days of almost non-stop snow fall.:p:)

It's raining outside - it's been raining on and off for most of the day. :(

Supposed to convert to snow some time in the early AM hours, but the precip. is also supposed to taper off. I wonder if there's going to be ice?

Sara's car was changed-over as soon as I got back from Dubai...I wanted the exercise, after having been cramped into the jet for 15+ hours. :spin:

Hope you had a good Thanksgiving, my friend. :)

...........I decided to just man-up last winter, not take the lip off, and see what would happen. Either I got really lucky, or it's really that durable. It's taken a number of hits (the main reason why I didn't get it painted or otherwise finished) and scrapes from off-kilter entrance-aprons and the like. Still good so far, knock-on-wood................

My neighbor down the street decided that directing his snow blower chute perpendicular to the street, and creating a 16" berm, is a good way to clear the snow off his driveway.:rolleyes::mad: Quite the speed bump, and difficult to see under some conditions. Lucky for me, it was fluffy snow.:)

My neighbor down the street decided that directing his snow blower chute perpendicular to the street, and creating a 16" berm, is a good way to clear the snow off his driveway.:rolleyes::mad: Quite the speed bump, and difficult to see under some conditions. Lucky for me, it was fluffy snow.:)

^ I'd have imagined that someone living in a snow-routine area would be more aware of snowblower-etiquette? :(

Maybe he didn't want y'all to get any of the good Black Friday deals?

Archived