LegacyGT.com

my Subaru will beat with a Buick heart!

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

its good, i upgraded to megasquirt 3 witch has the ability for sequential injection.

sequential injection makes a big diffrence on this engine because the intake runners are like 2" long, with batch fire fuel from a cupple cylinders get bounced back and sent down the valve that is just opening.

other than that i'm up to 8 lbs boost, i have a weird ignition problem at 5500 where the rpm in the data log starts jumping around once i get past 5700 its fine again. i suspect its just em noise from the subau vr crank sensor that runs in the same batch of wires. all of these wires are un shielded so i'm gonna shield them and that should be fine. i didn't have this problem in my sunbird.

how ever the sunbird i never pulled past 5000 rpm down the drag strip ! and with this cam it pulls to 7000 !

i also had a little race with my neighbours 99 regal gs super charged running 13 lbs

i launched with out bring up the boost and just pulled ahead but if it wasn't for that ignition problem i would of creamed him. he just barely got ahead and my torque converter was too loose to be able to let me shift early and stay below that problematic point in the rpm range.

Now that's thinking out of the boxer!:lol:

fyi all 05 + legacy's have built in code reader

Why this thread has attracted all this attention is beyond me.

My 1st question would be ,WHY do this swap???

I think Frankster has tooooo much time on his hands or has an extreme case of Canuck ADD.

• Mega Users

I think Frankster has tooooo much time on his hands or has an extreme case of Canuck ADD.

And do a quick search on what people are doing with that engine.

You missed the part about how the EJ25 engine requires a huge amount of money to accomplish a little, while this engine requires a small amount of cash to get where he is now. One man 's impossible project is another's fun side hobby.
[CENTER][B][I] Front Limited Slip Racing Differentials for the 5EAT now available for $1895 shipped, please inquire for details! [/I][/B][/CENTER]

FrankenSubie,,,"It's alive!!!"" :spin:

:rolleyes:

OP,,You must have alot of time and money on your hands.

This thread has :rolleyes::rolleyes: written all over it.

All of your posts in this thread. Real question is why does this project bother you so much? If you don't understand it or don't like, why do you keep clicking on it?

He answered this in the very first post of the thread. Go back and read it, it's quite clear.

He has a problem with the fact that the 3.8 doesn't have the low center of gravity of the boxer or the badass AVCS technology.

the avcs that does pretty much nothing ! well maybe 5 ft lbs more torque at idle ?

just think 250 ft lbs of torque at idle !

If you knew David Spade drove one....is it still as appealing...:lol::lol::lol:. Just caught TMZ tonight...and apparently he does. I don't even think it was the the full GSX, just a regular GN.

It's called a GNX.

Good swap. The Buick 3.8 is one of the most stout motors ever made. I have a Grand Prix GTP (Buick 3.8 S/Cd) and the bottom ends will take SERIOUS power. More then a Subie motor could ever hope on stock internals. ZZP was running 8 second passes on a stock L26/32 (newer 3.8 variation) long block.

There are other ways...

http://www.wheelpics.co.cc/images/porsche-911-engine.jpg

Not actually sure whether it would fit, and I don't really care.

[CENTER][B][I] Front Limited Slip Racing Differentials for the 5EAT now available for $1895 shipped, please inquire for details! [/I][/B][/CENTER]

There are other ways...

http://www.wheelpics.co.cc/images/porsche-911-engine.jpg

Not actually sure whether it would fit, and I don't really care.

looks like the turbo(s) would be jamed against the front tire(s)

I had to register just to tell you that this project is awesome. I owned a 1999 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP with the 3800 Supercharged motor for about 4 years, it was my first car nd I love it to this day. I did a lot of basic modding/tuning and in the spring of 09 put down 245HP and 326 ft-lbs at the front wheels. The car had headers, 1.9 rockers, 3.4" supercharger pulley and all the "supporting mods" as we like to call them on the GP forums. I demodded it in October of 2010 and sold it to a friend on mine, it had 165K on it and other than the LIM gaskets needing to be replaced I never had to do anything to keep it running except put gas in it and change the oil. The Buick 3800 is a fantastic motor and they love turbos :D

Now I have a 2005 STi and while I love it, I sometimes wish it was as simple as the 3800 was to work on.

Anyhow, congrats on getting this awesome swap running! You've taken two things that are awesome on their own and made something epic out of them.

Its threads like this that make me glad to be a part of this community! That is an impressive job you did there!

2008 6mt Legacy Gt Spec B DGM - Not so Stock/Work in progress

2006 5mt Legacy Gt OBP - Sold

2005 5eat Legacy Gt OBP - RIP

R.I.P Coxx

Obviously you would fabricate a Subaru-style header. Where... um... the exhaust primaries go under the car... Where is the imagination? Next thing you know people will be saying you can't fit a V6 under the hood of a Subaru. Edited by ClimberD@HexMods

yea .. 1 car with no lag but traction problems and crappy handling

combine with car that has to much lag no traction issues and amazing handling !

= car with no/little lag lots of traction and amazing handling :D