LegacyGT.com

LGT project: matte black vinyl wrap

ArcTec34

Can you recommend a good place to buy this vinyl? Also how does it stand up to cleaning etc? does it scratch easily? Special treatments needed?

Was going to do my car in the Carbon DiNoc vinyl but thought it might be a bit rice, the matt black is very gdm! :cool:

• Replies 456
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

as far as "reversible" goes...there's no residue left when you peel that off?

more or less, yes.

the less: some parts where you had to stretch it, or just over time, there will be some adhesive residue, but it willl come off with a good wash and maybe a little isopropyl alch

Can you recommend a good place to buy this vinyl? Also how does it stand up to cleaning etc? does it scratch easily? Special treatments needed?

Was going to do my car in the Carbon DiNoc vinyl but thought it might be a bit rice, the matt black is very gdm! :cool:

I'll comment on good places to buy vinyl in about one week.. I just need to see howe my "stiped" vinyl situation plays out..haha

It cleans really well, I parked under a tree the other day and sap came off easily. It does scratch easily, moreso than paint, and because its matte its more visible.

While applying it, its very important to "stretch" (you don't really want to stretch it much at all though) evenly, or the differences in the sections will be obvious (normal matte->getting glossier).

I've used diNoc vinyl..its a lot different to work with and a lot thicker..makes it better and worse. The thing to watch out with that though is over large surfaces, if it isn't uniformly stretched, it will be really obvious in the "CF" lines..they won't be straight

Perhaps I'm stuck in 2008, but from where I'm standing, that's really looking stunning. Good job.

RE: LIDAR

^ There's noted - and by this, I don't just mean quantitative data, which definitely shows the difference, but also real-world noticeable - differences between even light-colored to dark-colored paint. We're talking things like red versus blue, white/silver versus black.

It's widely speculated that "matte" paintwork will further decrease a vehicle's LIDAR profile, but there's been no hard data: it's been observed that dirtier/dustier vehicles tend to register PTs at closer ranges than the same/similar vehicle, clean, but again, this is a poor approximation for "matte."

So yep, if you can arrange a cross-comparison to either an ABP or even NBP, this will definitely prove to be of-interest! :)

This is why I've got a black bra up front (far less IR reflective than BSM) and why I generally don't wash my car unless I've encountered road salt. I'm halfway to matte black myself...

If you'd be willing to do an afternoon of testing along with another Legacy of any stock color (no particular reason why it must match your OEM paint color/range, and I imagine that a color on either extreme of the spectrum would be most diagnostic in terms of drawing meaningful conclusions--having both black and white cars to use as comparisons would be ideal, though black versus black matte would be the most useful) I'm sure that there are plenty of countermeasure enthusiasts that would be glad to help determine the extent to which a matte vinyl wrap provides protection from LIDAR punch-through.

I don't know anyone off the top of my head that lives in your area and has access to the necessary guns, but perhaps Allen might have a better idea of folks you're relatively close to. If not, I'd be glad to help try to find someone.

I don't know anyone off the top of my head that lives in your area and has access to the necessary guns, but perhaps Allen might have a better idea of folks you're relatively close to. If not, I'd be glad to help try to find someone.

^ Sadly, I did not know anyone in PA. :( I've also been rather out-of-touch lately, in terms of the countermeasures community :redface: (no time...), so I haven't been able to interact with the new host of newcomers, either. :(

This is why I've got a black bra up front (far less IR reflective than BSM) and why I generally don't wash my car unless I've encountered road salt. I'm halfway to matte black myself...

Yep, both proven tactics. :)

If you'd be willing to do an afternoon of testing along with another Legacy of any stock color (no particular reason why it must match your OEM paint color/range, and I imagine that a color on either extreme of the spectrum would be most diagnostic in terms of drawing meaningful conclusions--having both black and white cars to use as comparisons would be ideal, though black versus black matte would be the most useful).

That's a good point - as an absolute, the color shouldn't matter, and indeed, even more illustrative of the improvements would be a match against a OBP LGT.

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

I've thought about using this stuff to cover my whole front end since my paint is toast up there anyway. So basically create a bra of sorts out of it. Maybe put a couple "coats" of it for extra protection. Interested to hear about yours holds up over time up front.

Car looks great btw.

Haha sadly no, I just am usually up at odd hours vinyling. Ill take some daytime pics tomorrow. Sadly I'm not going to finish or attempt the front bumper until I figure out if these marks in the vinyl come out or that I. Need it replaced...meh

so i can just use this stuff to cover up all the rock chips i have in my hood?

but shoot, it does look awesome. i'm dreaming about repainting the lgt. but this may be a viable option.

We have wrapped Subaru's before which have had some pretty pitted hoods and it was a great solution all in all. It does also provide protection for further pitting and UV damage (clearcoat damage from sun)...

I was given a go by the vinyl distributor and the lines will come out over time..another week ish. I finished up the doors tonight..bumper sometime soon ish. I'll take pics tomorrow, its dark already and I don't wanna be batman again..

Any updates with the car? Did you finish the bumper?

Not to thread jack, but I finished with mine. Not even having it for a week, makes me think I should have went with black. This will be a chore to keep clean. Also I should have had it laminated.

http://i936.photobucket.com/albums/ad210/jamago99/My%20car/EditDSC_0001.jpg

Oh, wow - that looks great! Very unique. I'd rock that! :)

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

Any updates with the car? Did you finish the bumper?

Not to thread jack, but I finished with mine. Not even having it for a week, makes me think I should have went with black. This will be a chore to keep clean. Also I should have had it laminated.

http://i936.photobucket.com/albums/ad210/jamago99/My%20car/EditDSC_0001.jpg

what color was your car before?

and is that a RavSpec lip?