LegacyGT.com

Wagon CBE Options

need bb

Just installed the OBX a few days ago...and yes, it is loud, and yes, there is drone. Going to install a magnaflow muffler on the midpipe tomorrow. I'll post up some pics when the blizzard here is over. The fit is pretty good, really beefy flanges and 3" pipes all the way to the back to the mufflers. The y-pipe does hang pretty low, but no problem for me to clear speedbumps (lowest part is right under rear axle), I am sitting on eibachs.

Lets see how it sounds after the magnaflow install, if it sounds good, this exhaust was worth it.

btw: I had a problem properly sealing the slip-on joint on the midpipe - as it sits now, it is leaking. It doesn't matter much to me now since I'm going to cut that section out for the Magnaflow muffler install.

In for details on the magnaflow surgery. Can't justify 1k for a catback.

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply

But spending $600 on a hack job is acceptable?

$400 for CBE that does not fit and DRONES. Then $100 for a muffler to use as a resonator (Magnaflow is a bad choice for this as they are loud mufflers to begin with). Then $100 more for install of resonator and fixing leaky slip joints. Then you have to deal with the "is it real 304 s/s" question. Many eBay CBE's require coating to withstand the elements.

Just a thought. Stromung is ISO9001 certified. No returns in 5 years of their products. Hmmm. Plus buying a Stromung means all the money stays in America and puts Americans to work while keeping a roof over their heads and food on the table. Tax paying Americans.

i've got an "Invidia up pipe, painted with VHT ceramic paint, and wrapped with DEI exhaust heat wrap" sitting in my garage. just need to decide on a DP for installation in the spring.

CNT Racing from infamousperformance.net for sure. Catted for about $300.

But spending $600 on a hack job is acceptable?

$400 for CBE that does not fit and DRONES. Then $100 for a muffler to use as a resonator (Magnaflow is a bad choice for this as they are loud mufflers to begin with). Then $100 more for install of resonator and fixing leaky slip joints. Then you have to deal with the "is it real 304 s/s" question. Many eBay CBE's require coating to withstand the elements.

Just a thought. Stromung is ISO9001 certified. No returns in 5 years of their products. Hmmm. Plus buying a Stromung means all the money stays in America and puts Americans to work while keeping a roof over their heads and food on the table. Tax paying Americans.

I am all about promoting your product but don't knock something you ahven't used before. I have the OBX exhaust and it is much better constructed than the CXlighting/ebay exhaust systems that I had tested. The piping is thicker and the construction is much better and it fits perfectly. Slip joints are always prone to leaking but can be easily fixed with a $5 tube of muffler bond paste at any auto parts store. For me the $300-$400 was worth every penny on the OBX system. I knew it was going to be loud but I wanted the flow. This exhaust system is not for everyone and neither is the one you are pimping. I love the stromung but the 2.25 after the Y section is a deal breaker for me.

I too have tested the CX and agree that OBX is better quality overall. But the member did say the cbe had drone, his slip joint was leaking and the y-pipe sat low. The comment about price to repair was based on his comment about buying a Magnaflow muffler and having it installed as a resonator.

Exhaust notes are a personal preference. No the Stromung is not for everyone. It is also no longer available. GB is closed.

On the flow point. I have a Cobb. 2.5" restriction at the CBE is cut out and it is 3" flat flange and 3" piping to the "Y". At which point it is 2.5" piping to the cans. Guess what? Already tested on a 400whp car. No difference in power. Maybe 1whp but that could be a lot of things. Not too many members going over 400whp. I dont see it holding me back on my quest to hit 450whp.

My Cobb is being sold this weekend. I am sticking with the Stromung.

Like I said, I was specifically looking for a full 3" exhaust and the OBX was everything I was looking for. If I was only planning on making 400-450whp I would have gone with the Stromung as well. My goal is mid 600whp so I need as much flow as I can get out of the exhuast.

My point is that you are bashing the OBX exhaust for no good reason. Yeah there are flaws with it but it fits the bill for some people...not all. Same goes for the product you sell but none of us were sitting there bashing it.

[/rant]

I stood up for it. The comment was that it is not justifiable to spend $1k on a CBE. I was justifying it. OBX just happened to be the brand mentioned.

For the record I have nothing against OBX.

My point was not directed solely at OBX. My point was that any lower cost CBE will have its quirks. If someone buys it thinking it will be the same quality overall as something that sells for twice the price they are most likely mistaken. even eBay CBE's can be modified and adjusted to suit the taste of almost anyone. but if the end cost is only a few hundred less than getting what you might have really wanted to begin with,it makes little sense. the savings is not really there. Not when you look at quality of materials used and hassle to modify.

Lets use the XO2/CXLighting for instance. Leave poor OBX out of it. Sure CBE could be had for sub $400. But to make it fit, add anywhere from $50 to $100. If it came with no resonator (XO2) add at least $100 for that. So, now its at $550. Might as well have bought a Magnaflow CBE. Chances are it has the same type of sound you were looking for and it is better quality with less fit hassle. Plus you get support.

Sorry to OBX. I was trying to make a point about price/quality/value (read Made in America). Not trying to knock OBX.

I thought Borla and Magnaflow used slip joints as well? :lol:

I get what you are saying and I will be the first to tell you the CXlighting/Xo2 exhaust systems are horrible. That was my main concern when I first ordered the OBX system but once I got it and saw that it actually fits, I was really shocked and like to stand by it now. FOr me I got it for under $400 shipped and didnt have to spend a dime to get it to fit right. It is everything I was looking for and dont care about how loud it is. I mean come on, a car making 600+ WHP is not going to be quiet.

Your points are well taken and I have sent plenty of people your way for the $150 EWG kit that is made in Asia somewhere. Great product for a great price. I like to try and help people save money especially when I find a great product for a great price like the OBX system and the CNT EWG kit you sell.

I too have no problem recommending something made elsewhere if it fits and works. Thomas at CNT does a good job of QC once the product gets here. Plus he stands by it with a no hassle guarentee.

CNT sells the OBX so I would think it is probably of higher quality than many of the "eBay" CBE's out there.

In general you get what you pay for. But there are a few diamonds in the rough.

For under $400, if it fits and does not rust off in 6 months (Xo2) I would try it too. With your power goals you are certainly limited with off the shelf product offerings.

Could somebody fill me In on how loud this exhaust really is. I could pick itup real quick at $380 shipped but the exhaust I truely want is the agency power burnt tip set up but it looks like its not wagon specific. Would it still work with a wagon?

Could somebody fill me In on how loud this exhaust really is. I could pick itup real quick at $380 shipped but the exhaust I truely want is the agency power burnt tip set up but it looks like its not wagon specific. Would it still work with a wagon?

Unfortunately I cant tell you how loud it is... but judging by the style, a full 3" with straight through canister mufflers, its gonna be loud. My Greddy Evo2 is very similar (full 3" and canister style mufflers) and its loud. At idle its pretty quiet but once you get going its there.

I was looking at the agency power one as well, and almost ended up with it until i found the Greddy used at a price I couldnt pass up. The agency power is going to be loud too, as if I remember correctly its a full 3" with the canister style mufflers.

As for the wagon specific... I personally dont think it matters all that much, depending on the exhaust. I happen to really like the sedan version on my wagon as it tucks the tips a bit plenty of photos here http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/brilliant-silver-stage-2-wagon-and-then-some-141369.html . Also if I remember the agency power exhaust has longer tips (they stick out on a sedan) so that even on a Wagon it should be a decent look. But too each his own. I definitely thought about the OBX and if I had not found the Greddy, which was the exhaust I really wanted I probably would have ended up with it. And if integroid is happy with it on his set up, I feel it has to be pretty decent.

I believe the Agency Power exhaust is a JDM Wagon exhaust. So the tips are a little longer for the USDM Sedan but not long enough for the USDM Wagon. It will bolt on and fit but the tips might not extend all the way to the end of the bumper.

For under $400, if it fits and does not rust off in 6 months (Xo2) I would try it too. With your power goals you are certainly limited with off the shelf product offerings.

Yup and I was just going to go with a custom single outlet 3" or 3 1/2" exhaust until I came across the OBX.

Thank you demo243 I kno the agency power will be.loud but with the silenced option it has I know I could shut it up when it is needed most so that will help. any possible way I could out a silenced on the obx? Im thinkin I could jut save my pennys for that AP exhaust because I think it is a gorgous exhaust and I do think the fitment would be great if thy cans do tuck in just a little.

I have always questioned how well the silencers actually work, never heard one so idk... but as for silencing the OBX i dont see why you couldnt, it might just be a bit of trial and error. I did a quick google for "universal exhaust silencer" and came up with a bunch of options, so if you know your tip diameter and dont mind drilling a hole, I dont see why it couldnt be done. would probably be something you would want to do with the exhaust in hand so there could be the risk of you having an exhaust you cant silence.

Why do you want to be able to silence it?

It really comes down to what you want... It's your car, so make it yours and put what you want on it. If you like the agency power and dont mind putting the money out for it, go for it. You don't hear or see a ton of them so it would set your car apart from the others, and it comes set up with a silencer option so that just makes your life easier there.

Yesterday the weld on my stock Y pipe failed. However, I think the sound/volume is pretty much what I would want in an aftermarket CBE...lol...so what ones should I be considering?

Did it fail on the weld just ahead of where the split into the Y happens? That happened to me a couple weeks ago. Sound was nice, but the loud hissing sound got annoying as did the drone. I had it re-welded at a Midas Muffler for $40. I still have a tiny water leak from the mouth of the Y that I have had for about 2 years.

Did it fail on the weld just ahead of where the split into the Y happens? That happened to me a couple weeks ago. Sound was nice, but the loud hissing sound got annoying as did the drone. I had it re-welded at a Midas Muffler for $40. I still have a tiny water leak from the mouth of the Y that I have had for about 2 years.

That's the spot. I was going to take it today to see how much it was going to cost to repair, I figured if it was over $100, I would probably replace it, but for a $40 repair, I really should wait, as I just laid out cash last week on my Conti DWSs.

Lehigh Valley Subaru Enthusiasts http://alturl.com/o4org

Because Station Wagon

Archived