LegacyGT.com

Top Mount Intake Project. Autodesk

Just my input, I have successfully disassembled the maf, so I have the sensor that I can put in a drilled hole. I will need to fabricate a cover for the plug and chip board. I will post pics soon. I bought the maf at a junk yard for 5 bucks, and it works great. The guy ashed me what it was, I said, thingy for the intake, and he said 5 bucks lol. I will attempt to make a creation of tubing similar to you all, and will give all credit.

Edit: I will most likely use pvc for a rough draft, to get an idea of how it's going to fit. So I will need:

Pvc

Dremmel

maybe my stock box filter, by cutting and remolding... Maybe

All in all, I will be very creative. If successful, I will post measurements and pics of the finishing product, along with links to videos of me making it.

• Replies 322
  • Created
  • Last Reply

in the legacy, there is no room at the front to do much of anything, but that doesnt hold true for all cars. and i think youre envisioning it sitting directly above the head light, which isnt correct either. take a look at a few other car models, im sure you will see plenty of space for an intake entry.

dont bash me for my sense of style/ utility based on what you like or think will work.

also, ive seen a couple subaru entry points that originated under the hood directly above the passenger side head light, piping to a custom box either over the head or up and next to the TB. no holes cut at all, which would be my ultimate goal anyway.

either way, cutting a scoop near the headlight for an intake?

no...

in the legacy, there is no room at the front to do much of anything, but that doesnt hold true for all cars. and i think youre envisioning it sitting directly above the head light, which isnt correct either. take a look at a few other car models, im sure you will see plenty of space for an intake entry.

dont bash me for my sense of style/ utility based on what you like or think will work.

also, ive seen a couple subaru entry points that originated under the hood directly above the passenger side head light, piping to a custom box either over the head or up and next to the TB. no holes cut at all, which would be my ultimate goal anyway.

Alot of peanut eye STI's take out thier drivers side highbeam and put a vent right there for the intake, my friend has it done of his track car but at the same time, it only looks good if you are going super aggressive imo.

http://i393.photobucket.com/albums/pp14/ripper434/headlightInsert.jpg

You can do the same on an legacy if you had the morrette headlights where you can take out the high beam and use that as a inlet for the intake.

i was thinking something along the hood line, no cutting involved. ive seen a few stock vent intakes i want to test airflow with when i have the time. its basically a collector of sorts, about 10" wide, 1' tall and angles to one side, opening up to a 3" tube for exit. pretty much perfect for what i want to do, if i can find the right one. the piping from there is the tricky part. well, its actually simple, but shedding moisture build up is the hard part. i just have to make sure i have enough air coming inside it to not have it be my choke point.

i could also do something like this

http://img.auctiva.com/imgdata/1/5/7/3/3/4/3/webimg/533356558_o.jpg

but id hide it in the lower area, painted the same color as the bumper.that might work better, especially for water. its not going to blow water up 15" of piping if youre not doing over 150 i bet.

• I Donated
not sure why i worry about water so much, i live in a place that gets 342 days a year average of sunshine...

So what part of Phoenix are you in?

-broknindarkagain

My Current Project - Click Here

COME AND TAKE IT

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

dont get butt hurt, im just saying there's not going to be a massive performance gain by doing this as opposed to putting it in the fender.. but to each his own, i dont care what you do, its your car

dont get butt hurt, im just saying there's not going to be a massive performance gain by doing this as opposed to putting it in the fender.. but to each his own, i dont care what you do, its your car

if there was no chance of any gain, there wouldnt be sri or cai designs all over the world for any kind of car. there is always room for improvement over the stock set up imo. im not getting butthurt, you just come off as a dickhead sometimes.

• I Donated

you're a dickhead sometimes

trololol

-broknindarkagain

COME AND TAKE IT

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

Time for my 2 cents! I don't have the time to go through 20 pages but I've seen most of it.

Imagine your hood being open and leaving around a 1 to 2 inch gap in the front. Now fill that space with a long flat funnel like intake cowl that heads to your MAF. You'd have the challenge of redesigning your hood latch and making this intake out of something so it won't melt on your rad.

It's too early now but I'll sit down and do some math later on. I just like this idea because my OCD kicked in and I wouldn't want these beautiful cars to be asymmetrical.

I also took the idea from the Bussard Ramjet which is the best vehicle concept for near light speed travel.

Geek powers deactivate!

Time for my 2 cents! I don't have the time to go through 20 pages but I've seen most of it.

Imagine your hood being open and leaving around a 1 to 2 inch gap in the front. Now fill that space with a long flat funnel like intake cowl that heads to your MAF. You'd have the challenge of redesigning your hood latch and making this intake out of something so it won't melt on your rad.

yeah, that has crossed my mind as well.

i dont mind the asymmetrical idea at all, i thrive on chaos. i also like to make changes to my car based on looks sometimes, but not at the cost of performance. even if it were a wash on performance upgrade, id likely do it if i thought it looked good to me.

How much extra power would we get if the alternator weren't being strained? Hypothetically you could install a braking system that goes along with the conventional brakes that generates electricity while stopping the car. If you could wire it correctly couldn't you recharge the battery and relieve some strain from the alternator?

Also I promise I know how grammar works. The comma on my keyboard doesn't work

• I Donated
How much extra power would we get if the alternator weren't being strained? Hypothetically you could install a braking system that goes along with the conventional brakes that generates electricity while stopping the car. If you could wire it correctly couldn't you recharge the battery and relieve some strain from the alternator?

Also I promise I know how grammar works. The comma on my keyboard doesn't work

They do this on newer hybrid cars...but it just simply does not provide enough electricity to recharge the batteries.

Not to mention....what about long highway drives

-broknindarkagain

COME AND TAKE IT

^^^Anyone that uses "butt hurt" to describe a feeling is just a queer! Sorry, it's just too too much. Grow up.

regenerative braking is a supplement to conventional charging. on hybrid and ev's they will use any energy spent to regenerate a charge of electricity. in the brakes case, heat. so by that theory, any source of heat could be used to recharge the battery. body heat (although minor in the electrical sense of the word) is an enormous source of energy. a ton of the energy expended by the body is done through heat. if you were to wear a heat inductive material suit and have it wired through a bridge w/ diodes, you could use your selve to partially relieve the strain on the alternator. however, alternators produce far more electricity than is generally needed. that is why they have voltage regulators, to dial that back. voltage is only the amount of force the electricity has. current output is what strains the alternator and charges the battery. since alternators are in series ckts, the amount of voltage can be regulated w/ the current output varying. if you were to wire your self in series, the amount of current would be so low that the energy it took to convert your body heat into electricity would supersede the amount being produced. but if you found a more energy efficient way to convert heat to current then you'ld be in business.
I'm a native of South Carolina. I am a dying breed.

Archived