LegacyGT.com

What cars should I be looking at?

I've been toying with the idea of an RWD coupe just for fun. My budget is around $5000, I don't have to spend it all, or I could spend a bit more. Cars I'm looking at:

* MR2

* RX7

* 200SX or 240SX

* 300ZX

* Mustang

* Trans Am (no mullet, I promise)

* Camaro

* AE86

What else should be on that list?

I've been toying with the idea of an RWD coupe just for fun. My budget is around $5000, I don't have to spend it all, or I could spend a bit more. Cars I'm looking at:

* MR2

* RX7

* 200SX or 240SX

* 300ZX

* Mustang

* Camaro

* AE86

MR2 - Toyota... Plain and simple. RWD, rear engine performance without the horsepower...

RX7 - Performance, reliability without the longevity. Expect an engine rebuild every 60K miles if you want to maintain performance. These cars don't hold compression for shi*...

200SX or 240 SX - If you get the straight 6 you're looking at true RWD performance with the added benefit of the smoothness and performance of an I6. Good car IMHO...

300ZX - Regardless of which engine you choose you're going to get a powerful car...

Mustang - V8 torque, sound, and performance. The only downside is you can't get good gas mileage no matter how hard you try...

Trans-Am - Same as above, only a little slower. Don't expect power past 4K RPM...

Camaro - This is open ended. Depending on what year you get you can enjoy either good performance or dismal performance. Either way, expect good torque at low RPM's like the Mustang or Trans-Am. The Camaro, much like the Trans-Am, doesn't make decent torque past 4K RPM. Depending on your gearing this can either be a good thing or a bad thing. A more specific year would help tremendously...

AE86 - Great handling, great custom fabricating potential, but poor power compared to the other cars you listed. Probably the slowest "Off-The-Shelf" car you listed, yet enough potential to beat all of them if built right...

*NOTE: These are Opinions........ Not Fact.....

BMW 3-series Coupe.

Mercedes 200/230 CL(K).

Jaguar XKR.

If you are REALLY lucky (or not) you may also find a Lotus Elise.

Chevrolet Corvette.

Bentley Continental GT :p

VW Karmann Ghia

Holden Commodore Coupe

Mazda MX5 with a hard top. (Not really a coupe, but whatever it may fit your budget)

Mitsubishi 3000GT Coupe: http://sandiego.olx.com/1995-mitsubishi-3000gt-coupe-iid-3533047 (Right on the budget)

453747.png

Guest heightsgtltd
BMW 3-series Coupe.

Mercedes 200/230 CL(K).

Jaguar XKR.

Chevrolet Corvette.

VW Karmann Ghia

Holden Commodore Coupe

Mazda MX5 with a hard top. (Not really a coupe, but whatever it may fit your budget)

Mitsubishi 3000GT Coupe: http://sandiego.olx.com/1995-mitsubishi-3000gt-coupe-iid-3533047 (Right on the budget)

What planet do you live on?

$5000 MR2 = turbo MR

$5000 RX7 = loads more work needed

200SX/240SX = KA24 motor is okay I guess, okay till you dump another 5g into the car with a SR20 front clip changeover.

300zx = suprise you how slow they are, it sure is no supra

Mustang/TransAM = No comment.

AE86 = You are only going to find a POS for $5. You will not score a decent running GTS for 5 large. No chance and a SR5 is not even in the ballpark of a GTS. Would cost 5 large just to turn a SR5 into a GTS to get started going fast.

Why arent you considering a older BMW?

* MR2

* RX7

* 200SX or 240SX

* 300ZX

* Mustang

* Camaro

* AE86

It's sad how much people can get for the AE86. Drifting is stupid and it's ruined the market for people who just like the damn car for how it is.

I can't think of any year where a TransAm would be slower than a Mustang. I want an 89ish TA GTA one day just because I have since high school. The TurboTA would be amazing but it'd be twice the price.

For the love of God, do NOT consider a non-turbo 3000GT/Stealth. They aren't fast and they can't go fast without spending big dollars. The turbo cars can go as fast as you want but as with any turbo vehicle, mods and maintenance make them never-ending money pits.

We need more information. Do you want the car to be fast? Do you want to modify it? etc.

Near-term, I want a backup for when my LGT needs work. Fast is nice but not required.

After a couple years, when the LGT is done, I'd like to make this other car at least as fast as my LGT. Maybe a lot faster, depending on the cost, ease, availability, whatever.

Miata, 5.0 1991-1993 Mustang. Some older Camaro. All good choices depending on what you want to do with them.

**** the 240 suggestion. We all don't live in SoCal where SR20 swaps are plentiful and pull a real premium a week before Race Wars.

And the KA24 is a dog.

If you want to go fast for cheap, buy something with a V8. But you know that already.;)

Miata, 5.0 1991-1993 Mustang. Some older Camaro. All good choices depending on what you want to do with them.

[...]

If you want to go fast for cheap, buy something with a V8. But you know that already.;)

I am leaning somewhat toward V8s for that reason... are there any years / generations of Camaros should I give extra consideration, or avoid completely? I always liked the looks of the 3rd-gen.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/f/f6/Camaro1.jpg/200px-Camaro1.jpg

MR2 - Toyota... Plain and simple. RWD, rear engine performance without the horsepower...

RX7 - Performance, reliability without the longevity. Expect an engine rebuild every 60K miles if you want to maintain performance. These cars don't hold compression for shi*...

200SX or 240 SX - If you get the straight 6 you're looking at true RWD performance with the added benefit of the smoothness and performance of an I6. Good car IMHO...

300ZX - Regardless of which engine you choose you're going to get a powerful car...

Mustang - V8 torque, sound, and performance. The only downside is you can't get good gas mileage no matter how hard you try...

Trans-Am - Same as above, only a little slower. Don't expect power past 4K RPM...

Camaro - This is open ended. Depending on what year you get you can enjoy either good performance or dismal performance. Either way, expect good torque at low RPM's like the Mustang or Trans-Am. The Camaro, much like the Trans-Am, doesn't make decent torque past 4K RPM. Depending on your gearing this can either be a good thing or a bad thing. A more specific year would help tremendously...

AE86 - Great handling, great custom fabricating potential, but poor power compared to the other cars you listed. Probably the slowest "Off-The-Shelf" car you listed, yet enough potential to beat all of them if built right...

*NOTE: These are Opinions........ Not Fact.....

These are opinions full of completely false information.

MR2 is mid engined car, not rear engined.

200SX or 240SX (completely different cars - I am referring to USDM designations) were not available with 6-cylinders engines.

300ZX (even Z32) with N/A engine is a DOG, can be easily spanked by late 90s Accord.

* MR2

* RX7

* 200SX or 240SX

* 300ZX

* Mustang

* Camaro

* AE86

91 Supra should be on there. Good list, my vote is for the MR2.

♪Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery;

None but ourselves can free our minds.♫ -Bob Marley, Redemption Song

To the op. I'd not buy any of the cars on the list, not with the budget you stated. Buy a Miata. Still, allocate like $10k for the car, repairs and basic mods. Otherwise don't bother.

Near-term, I want a backup for when my LGT needs work. Fast is nice but not required.

After a couple years, when the LGT is done, I'd like to make this other car at least as fast as my LGT. Maybe a lot faster, depending on the cost, ease, availability, whatever.

Nothing is as fast as a Legacy, we all know that, and a built Legacy :eek:

You can be happy with any of the cars listed, except for the Nissans :lol:

The real question is what condition can you get for $5k.

Nothing is as fast as a Legacy, we all know that, and a built Legacy :eek:

You can be happy with any of the cars listed, except for the Nissans :lol:

The real question is what condition can you get for $5k.

There's plenty of good deals, you just have to keep any eye out. A friend of mine bought a 91 Supra from a Grandma, garaged it's whole life, it had 110K mi on it for under 5K. The body was near perfect, the only thing mechanically wrong was the Turbo was blown. He had the stock Tubo rebuilt. The cool thing about those Supras is the adjustable Dampers, you can set it to Sport mode, or Cruise and make the shocks all kushy feeling with the touch of a button. Plus, even stock, they're still pretty quick.

♪Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery;

None but ourselves can free our minds.♫ -Bob Marley, Redemption Song

Hard to say kepping it around the 5k mark you may get the vehicle for that price but hard to say what condition its in. so that may be a key when your searching finding the best taken care of vehicle. IE you might find a great trubo powered 300z but if the owner has beat it up and it on it last leg,no sense in buying something you have to spend big bucks to restore/repair.

BMW 3-series Coupe.

Mercedes 200/230 CL(K).

Jaguar XKR.

Chevrolet Corvette.

VW Karmann Ghia

Holden Commodore Coupe

The guy has a $5000 budjet :rolleyes: Bentley Continential Gt :lol: Jaguar XKR :lol:

Archived