LegacyGT.com

What cars should I be looking at?

I am leaning somewhat toward V8s for that reason... are there any years / generations of Camaros should I give extra consideration, or avoid completely? I always liked the looks of the 3rd-gen.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/f/f6/Camaro1.jpg/200px-Camaro1.jpg

Looks is all up to you but the 3rd gen have horrible performance. The RS 305 has 170hp, the 1984 350 has 165hp. The TPI 350s had 245hp but they were still slow.

This was the only good 3rd gen IMO, 1989 turbo trans am. It has the GN 3.8 turbo.

http://image.highperformancepontiac.com/f/8789036/0610_hppp_01z+1989_pontiac_trans_am+full.jpg

IMO i would get a 93-97 f-body. There are a coupel head/cam lt1 cars with low to mid 12 second slips for sale in the 4-6k range.

If you want power, ignore what I'm about to say, but otherwise:

Late 80s BMW e30 325is are alot of fun and will have a hard time leaving you stranded. Great cars.

If you want a 2-seater, go Miata. Insideline just bought a beat-up 94 miata for like $1700 as a project car. Might want to read up there....

Budget cars are all about cars that won't break the bank. Don't go exotic like a Porsche (a 944 would be a great car for this, but it will cost you several thousand in the first year unless it was pampered).

Just my .02

Looks is all up to you but the 3rd gen have horrible performance. The RS 305 has 170hp, the 1984 350 has 165hp. The TPI 350s had 245hp but they were still slow. IMO i would get a 93-97 f-body. There are a couple head/cam lt1 cars with low to mid 12 second slips for sale in the 4-6k range.
Sheesh, it never ceases to amaze me how gutless Detroit could make their cars. The LT-1 F-body is intriguing though. Thanks for the tip.

Sheesh, it never ceases to amaze me how gutless Detroit could make their cars. The LT-1 F-body is intriguing though. Thanks for the tip.

It was due to emissions and the "gas shortage" lol. In the late 60s early 70s they had engines from factory that made 450-490hp and some drag packages that could churn out 600hp.

JoefromPA beat me to what I was thinking just now...

A Porsche 944 NA, maybe even an S2 might be possible at 5000$ purchase price.

The 86+ Turbo and 88Turbo S/89Turbo are faster, but more expensive to buy and support.

The rule tends to be, with porsche... don't buy one if you can't afford two. If a nice 89 944S2 costs 5000 in decent shape... budget as if it were a $10k car, for service and maintenance.

I have occasionally thought about an FC-3S RX7. Rotaries are interesting... but even with an engine swap to something more traditional, the car still looks good. FDs look better, but are $$$$$.

I've also though of resto-modding a fox-body mustang, but that is somewhat nostalgic for me, since my dad had a 79 Capri, and my first purchased car was an 88 Mustang.

I like Z32 300ZXs, but reportedly they are a nightmare to work on the engine, and the non-turbo isn't all that lively... but I have no experience with it.

I still like 2nd Generation MR2s, too. I'd seriously consider a nice example of one of those.

My brother in law just bought a 93-ish V6 Firebird with the TA appearance pack applied to it, and a family friend from the same area just bought a 92 Camaro that needed some modest bodywork, but runs fine, as well. I think those are getting quite cheap to pick up and work on, if they are in any kind of solid shape at the core.

Archived