LegacyGT.com

New Subaru variant of Subyota Coupe will not get AWD

MarcusDubya77

Truecar says I could buy either a base Mustang or Genisis 2.0T for less than 20k right now.

That's interesting because Hyundai USA says you can get them in the $22k range. Even with skillful negotiation, that's not less than $20k by any means.....

http://www.hyundaiusa.com/genesis-coupe/

Of course, that's still much better than a NA $28k RWD Subaru :spin:

• Replies 715
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It's right below the 20k mark, like $19,950 for the Genesis and $19,500 for the base Mustang. The best deal I can get to seem on a current MY Subaru is roughly $2500 below sticker, depending on package. When I bought my wife's forester I was able to get the truecar price, which was right below invoice. The only incentives at the time was the financing deal.
All I need now is a hill holder and a center passing light...

It's right below the 20k mark, like $19,950 for the Genesis and $19,500 for the base Mustang. The best deal I can get to seem on a current MY Subaru is roughly $2500 below sticker, depending on package. When I bought my wife's forester I was able to get the truecar price, which was right below invoice. The only incentives at the time was the financing deal.

Which Subarus are getting that kind of discount?

Wow, night and day from C&D. They also guesstimate 200 hp/170 tq, but 25-27/30-32 mpg and 2500 lbs.. And $25K. 25 mpg city would be very nice. For $25K, that might actually work..

Of course, they also said: "It only takes a few miles along your favorite canyon road to start wishing you had 100 more horses to play with."

"They admit the BRZ structure has been engineered from the get-go to allow for a convertible version, so you can bet we'll see a softtop model within the next few years."

Which Subarus are getting that kind of discount?

Best Subaru Legacy Price near Warsaw, VA $28,984 YOU SAVE $3,136 (10%)

That's a Legacy GT limited. Sorry to take this OT.

"They admit the BRZ structure has been engineered from the get-go to allow for a convertible version, so you can bet we'll see a softtop model within the next few years."

I'm more interested in the "the wheelbase can be stretched - could we see a 4-door based on this platform" speculation.

Anyone note that in order for subaru to meet the new CAFE standards, this car makes sense? It will boost subaru's overall mpg. Its either that or get another justy with like a .8 liter motor. I'm all for AWD, but if subaru doesn't meet the numbers, it'll go the way of HKS... just saying.

What is done now, can be undone by the aftermarket (just please, please, please don't integrate the stereo and a/c controls. If there i's one thing I hate, that is it.) besides, it'll give Cobb and Rallitek something to do before they get complacent lol

They already make a convertible version:

http://www.mazdausa.com/MusaWeb/displayPage.action?pageParameter=modelsMain&vehicleCode=MX5#/home

$23k, under 2500lbs, more than 25mpg.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

But a trailer hitch so that you can have a trailer with your racing slicks on when going on a track day...

I think I read somewhere that Subaru kept track day enthusiasts in mind and developed folding rear seats which, when used in conjunction with an empty trunk, will allow for 4 full size tires

• Mega Users

no AWD. I feel as though this is an answer to the Miata, which is one of the most practical, balanced, and well built rear wheel drive sports cars ever. Take it out when the weather's nice, otherwise keep it in the garage. Its a sportscar to the japanese automaker enthusiasts, just like most on this forum.

Drive your Legacy or your Outback, Highlander or 4runner if you need your all wheel drive, or to pick up groceries and cart the kids to soccer practice. Otherwise, on nice days, open up the other garage and take out the BRZ and have some fun.

"Remember Danny - Two wrongs don't make a right but three rights make a left."

no AWD. I feel as though this is an answer to the Miata, which is one of the most practical, balanced, and well built rear wheel drive sports cars ever. Take it out when the weather's nice, otherwise keep it in the garage. Its a sportscar to the japanese automaker enthusiasts, just like most on this forum.

Drive your Legacy or your Outback, Highlander or 4runner if you need your all wheel drive, or to pick up groceries and cart the kids to soccer practice. Otherwise, on nice days, open up the other garage and take out the BRZ and have some fun.

This makes sense, but I think a truly drive-it-on-nice-days-car-for-some-fun really needs to be a convertible to achieve any commercial success. Assuming a topless version is indeed coming, THEN we'll see what's what. From where I sit, none of the entrants into that segment has managed to dethrone the miata, even those that managed to stick around for a good bunch of years.

The coupe version would be up against the altima coupe, tC, genesis coupe, 370z, g coupe, etc. I realize those I mentioned are potentially at very different price points, but ALL of them are a totally different market from the miata crowd.

Anyone note that in order for subaru to meet the new CAFE standards, this car makes sense? It will boost subaru's overall mpg. Its either that or get another justy with like a .8 liter motor. I'm all for AWD, but if subaru doesn't meet the numbers, it'll go the way of HKS... just saying.

What is done now, can be undone by the aftermarket (just please, please, please don't integrate the stereo and a/c controls. If there i's one thing I hate, that is it.) besides, it'll give Cobb and Rallitek something to do before they get complacent lol

That's what I've been saying all along. They'll introduce it with a smaller, less powerful engine. Hope to sell a lot of them as the new cute little car, then introduce a turbo model for the people who hold out and want something more powerful. All along hoping the weaker engine outsells by a large margin, keeping fuel efficiency up there. And I truly think they'll put a 2.0 Turbo in it to help keep the fuel efficiency good.

Hyundai is doing the same thing with their Veloster. It's a good looking, a bit quirky, coupe that has 130 hp, but gets 40mpg... they already have a turbo model in the works.

And I think they learned their lesson with the 4th Gen Legacy's Stereo. All the new models have Double Din stereos. The first thing I looked for in my new Outback. Already planning my upgrade.

• Mega Users
This makes sense, but I think a truly drive-it-on-nice-days-car-for-some-fun really needs to be a convertible to achieve any commercial success. Assuming a topless version is indeed coming, THEN we'll see what's what. From where I sit, none of the entrants into that segment has managed to dethrone the miata, even those that managed to stick around for a good bunch of years.

The coupe version would be up against the altima coupe, tC, genesis coupe, 370z, g coupe, etc. I realize those I mentioned are potentially at very different price points, but ALL of them are a totally different market from the miata crowd.

Yes, only will it compare when a soft top is available. I also agree with the fact that it unfortunately could fall into the crowd of the altima coupe, tC gensis, etc. That market is saturated, and it'd be a shame if subaru went in that direction. I'm not too optimistic that it will go in another direction....

But I think Subaru/Toyota has huge potential here. I've heard rumors here and there that they are designing the rear seats to fold down to make enough space for 4 sets of wheels/tires. I mean how perfect is that? I know it's highly unlikely, but if they could design a soft top that still had the cargo capability for that....Where do I sign?

Keep the BRZ light, nimble, balanced, simple, and well built. No fancy auto climate control, in-dash bluetooth nav, heavy power options. Subaru could tap into the Miata market big-time.

"Remember Danny - Two wrongs don't make a right but three rights make a left."

The "answer" to the Miata? 20 years late...

If they make it look cool, they'll sell a few. If they want it to catch on, it had better be EXTRAORDINARY in stock form. With just 200hp, why buy this over a Miata? The Miata has 20 years of drivers making them go faster and handle better. The knowledge base of the Miata world is hardly paralleled.

Drop the creature comforts, and you'll lose sales to people who don't auto-x the car or want to track it.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

The "answer" to the Miata? 20 years late...

If they make it look cool, they'll sell a few. If they want it to catch on, it had better be EXTRAORDINARY in stock form. With just 200hp, why buy this over a Miata? The Miata has 20 years of drivers making them go faster and handle better. The knowledge base of the Miata world is hardly paralleled.

Drop the creature comforts, and you'll lose sales to people who don't auto-x the car or want to track it.

lower center of gravity than a miata, more power than a miata, better weight to power than a miata, more room than a miata, larger and possibly roomier than a miata, 2 more seats than a miata, more aggressive styling than a miata, no chick car stigma like the miata, probably much better fuel economy than the miata. At least to me, the BRZ seems like more of an everyday car, and less like a toy like the miata.

This car is meant to be a modern interpretation of the Celica.

The last gen Celica sold a ton of cars, but was axed to allow Scion to handle the younger segment. It was sporty looking, light weight and had good fuel economy for the time. The difference will be that the BRZ will actually be sporty RWD car and not just a sporty looking FWD car. It's probably a good time for this with the horsepower wars slowing down and huge CAFE targets looming.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 2 weeks later...

Archived