LegacyGT.com

New Subaru variant of Subyota Coupe will not get AWD

MarcusDubya77

looks nice. i wonder if the wing and front lip will be added back for the turbo'ed STI model that will most likely come after the release of the BRZ.

although i wish they didn't have to raise the damn car to near truck status. i mean it is a sports car, people will understand if it is lower than usual cars.

Engineers stated the exterior of the car was designed around thee hard points for the suspension and chassis. Subaru made the car first, then Toyota skinned it.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• Replies 715
  • Created
  • Last Reply
although i wish they didn't have to raise the damn car to near truck status. i mean it is a sports car, people will understand if it is lower than usual cars.

Don't worry - park this next to a 2010+ Legacy, and the BRZ will look like a GT40.

52in v 59.3in :eek:

sorry...this forum practically blows goat nuts so im not always on here.
Team Pony Express

POSTED FROM MY COMPUTER USING A WEB BROWSER

Engineers stated the exterior of the car was designed around thee hard points for the suspension and chassis. Subaru made the car first, then Toyota skinned it.

not sure how that relates to my post? but i meant that maybe subaru will keep the concept styling for a potential STI model, like the wing and the CF front lip, quad exhaust tips(although not really that important and would rather keep the two single tips), and the different rear diffuser

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IPeHaDb36PM]ã€ä¸–ç•Œåˆã€‘TOYOTA 86 TESTDRIVEï¼ãƒˆãƒ¨ã‚¿86世界åˆè©¦ä¹— - YouTube[/ame]

found a japanese test drive of final production version of the toyota's ft86 (i'm guessing the brz will be similar with just more power?)

I still don't really know what to make of this thing. All I can think is...it's going to have to be very, VERY good considering where it slots into the market. Not sure it can work as a DD for most people - look how much smaller it is than a genesis coupe. Also, considering its low weight and (relatively) low power, it seems more of a miata rival than anything else. The handling better be nothing short of mind-blowing. And a convertible seems even more necessary than I'd thought. I just hope it doesn't become nothing more than modify-me-for-a-track-toy-or-to-compete-in-drift-competitions model.

...or a ricer magnet, for that matter.

Well, I think it can become many things. It certainly needs a higher-powered variant. I think a turbo version with ~280hp is inevitable in 1-2 years. Although I think I'd prefer a supercharger. I think the car will become great platform for engine swaps (LSx).

The only think I am not super happy about is the stock weight distribution (53/47). Not too great and I wish the engine was moved further behind the wheels, even if it meant losing the rear seats (impractical anyway). With bigger engines the ratio can only become worse.

horsepower per ton (U.S.), starting price, fuel economy:

Genesis Coupe 2.0T: 127.5, $23.1k, 21/30

Miata (hard top): 128.8, $28.7k, 21/28

Miata (soft top): 134.7, $25.1k, 22/28

Cooper S (coupe): 135.1, $25.3k, 27/35

Civic Si (coupe): 139.7, $23k, 22/31

128i (coupe): 143.4, $31.9k, 18/28

BRZ: 148.8, $28k?, ?

Legacy 2.5GT Limited: 152.2, $32,3k, 18/25

WRX (sedan): 165.2, $26.3k, 19/25

Legacy 2.5i: 103.9, $20.7k, 19/27 (manual)

Impreza 2.0i (sedan): 101.7, $18.2k, 25/34 (manual)

That's a nice simple way of summing things up, though. Everyone is complaining about how "underpowered" these cars will be, but the simple fact of the matter is that it has a LOT of power for the size. The problem today is that we are in the middle of another horsepower war, between all the exotic cars getting 600+ HP and all the regular sedans having 300+ HP models, this 200 HP doesn't sound like a lot. HOWEVER, people have to remember that EVERYTHING these days weighs nineteen-bajillion tonnes. This car weighs like 600 lbs LESS than a Genesis Coupe. That's more than 1/6th the weight shaved off. That's a HUGE difference. Stop looking at the raw numbers, and start looking at how those numbers add up.

horsepower per ton (U.S.), starting price, fuel economy:

Genesis Coupe 2.0T: 127.5, $23.1k, 21/30

BRZ: 148.8, $28k?, ?

Genesis Coupe 2.0T w/ new 274 hp Sonata engine (announced for 2013):

166.4, $23-24K(?)

Genesis Coupe 3.8 w/ existing 306 hp engine: 180.6, $27-28K

Genesis Coupe 3.8 w/ announced 345 hp engine: 203.6, $28-29K(?)

370z base: 204.6, $31K

(assumptions: changing the genesis engines won't affect weight by much, so I used existing weights)

Sure, the Genesis is one year further from availability than the BRZ in theory. But, when do you think you'll actually be able to buy a new BRZ? End of next year? At that point, the 2013 Genesis coupes should be here..

I like the back end... is the 3rd taillight in between the exhaust tips? Behind that mesh? If so that would be pretty nice, although I think US law requires a 3rd tail to be above the taillights....

From pictures it looks like the third taillight is in the bottom of the rear windshield. I'm guessing the red triangle at the bottom of the bumper is just a reflector similar to that of the 07-09 Legacy.

it looks like the car will really benefit from a proper set of headers.

http://www.ft86club.com/wallpapers/brztokyolive/IMG_5938.JPG

Looking at the engine bay, I'm not sure where a turbo would fit. Looks pretty tight in there.

I'd say a 10+ LGT style turbo setup would work with the right engine specs

Was considering it, but looks like itll have the same amt of power as the Scion version. I'll wait for the turbo version if it ever comes out, if they could put AWD on it at the same time it would be perfect. :)

And looking at that motor, I dont know if I like the upside down oil filter, cant prefill it and looks like it might make a mess.

DIT - 1.6

Could that stand for a 1.6L direct injected turbo? Oh boy... I was planning on test driving the BRZ when it comes out and then waiting a year for some to pop up on the used market but if there's a turbo in the works then I'm all sorts of thrown off now.

At least with my planned time frame of about 1.5 years until I would possible swap from the LGT (given that the test drive goes well), I can see what develops in the meantime.

Archived