LegacyGT.com

New Subaru variant of Subyota Coupe will not get AWD

MarcusDubya77

I don't know if this would find it's way into the BRZ. I know the new WRX/STi is supposed to get this 1.6 liter for homologation into the WRC again.

In a video from Tokyo, a Subaru rep said the WRX/STi would be getting a turbo FB...so who knows what engine is going where.

It looks like the 1.6 would just need a FMIC to fit into the BRZ. That should be easy enough.

• Replies 715
  • Created
  • Last Reply

^ good stuff.

Seems weird that there's not photo of the proper side of strut bolts to really spot the absence of the eccentric bolts (I can't believe there aren't any).

And wow, those control arms look paper-thin. Interesting endlinks as well.

From pictures it looks like the third taillight is in the bottom of the rear windshield. I'm guessing the red triangle at the bottom of the bumper is just a reflector similar to that of the 07-09 Legacy.

It's the rear fog light. On each side of it you have the reverse lights.

And the third brake light is in the window - it has to be high to get high visibility. The idea is that not only the first car behind your car shall see that you are braking, also the second car shall be able to see.

453747.png

Subaru BRZ pricing starts at $24,000 (Jalopnik)

BRZ Premium (base) ~$24k

Standard features:

• navigation
  • eight-speaker audio
  • soft touch dash
  • limited-slip diff
  • leather-wrapped wheel, shifter, e-brake lever
  • tilt/telescoping steering wheel
  • six-speed manual
  • aluminum pedal covers
  • cruise control

BRZ Limited ~$27k

Adds:

• leather seats - Alcantara trim
  • fog lamps
  • rear deck spoiler
  • 17" wheels
  • vented discs front and rear

A few recent first drives:

About rear/cargo room:

The rear seats technically hold an adult but would be better for kids--a rear-facing child seat fits back there, too. It's not as practical as a sedan but it's still functional for four. Rather than say the trunk can hold two golf bags, which it can, Subaru prefers to point out that you can carry a complete set of wheels and tires for track days.

On exhaust note, torque curve:

The 2.0-liter flat-four engine produces 100 hp per liter, but it does so in a way unlike any other normally aspirated four-cylinder. It doesn’t rev to 8000 or even 7500 -- it’s not high-strung at all. Redlined at 7400 rpm, the flat-four soundtrack is mellow, and since the intake resonance tube pipes intake noise from only two cylinders into the cabin, it’s deep, staccato, and almost bi-plane in its exhaust note. There’s no screaming or wailing -- and once the tach needle moves past 2500 rpm, where there’s a big valve timing change, the torque curve remains effectively flat until just before 7000 rpm. It’s the flattest, broadest torque curve this side of an electric motor.

And here's Motor Trend's article on the price & specs. Has a chart of trim features. Some highlights:

• HIDs standard
  • Seat & mirror heater standard on Limited
  • Dual zone auto climate on Limited
  • smart keyless entry and start standard on Limited
  • Paddle shifters standard w/ auto on both trims
  • Wheel, tires, brakes:
    • 16" steelies standard on Premium, 17" alloy option
    • 17" standard on limited
    • 17" tires (optional Premium, standard Limited) are summer tires
    • 16" tires (standard Premium) are all seasons
    • 11.6"/11.4" vented discs front/rear

"Fits a rear facing child seat" according to Auto Week...

MeThinks I may hold onto the Hyundai for another year or two and jump on a slightly used BRZ...... after all my car is only used for daily commuting a back seat big enough to hold a kid for short commutes will do fine :D

On power:
For all the Internet armchair warriors complaining about the meager power output, let us be the first to say: the BRZ doesn’t need a turbo. It doesn’t WANT a turbo. And anyone who says the car should have a turbo is missing the point. Like the Mazda RX-8 and Miata, the Porsche 944 and original Boxster -- and all of those cars from decades ago -- the BRZ is fun because of handling, not because of a sledgehammer that hits when you mash the gas pedal.

And yet Miatas seem to sell alright even though they only manage to get 167hp from a 2-liter 4...

The power level is fine. If you want to convert it to FI, you can. DI might make the job more involved once you get past what the stock fuel system can handle, but trust me, there will be a market for it, and it will be available for a price.

sorry...this forum practically blows goat nuts so im not always on here.
Team Pony Express

POSTED FROM MY COMPUTER USING A WEB BROWSER

Stole this from Autoblog the other day. Low weight, low center of gravity, weight centered within the wheelbase... this car should be amazing to drive.

Weight to Power (lower is better)

09.77 370z

10.63 Elise

11.06 Cayman

11.24 G37 Sport

12.08 S2000

12.11 WRX

12.12 Camaro

12.30 Mustang V6

12.48 Mazdaspeed3

12.83 Mini JCW

12.99 Mini Coupe JCW

13.42 BRZ

13.83 RX-8

13.95 128i

14.03 2008 WRX

14.10 C30

14.61 Lancer Ralliart

14.62 328i

14.65 Miata

14.70 Civic Si

14.74 Mini S

14.80 Mini Coupe S

15.17 GTI

15.69 Genesis Coupe 2.0T (current)

15.80 Juke

16.10 A3

16.92 TSX

17.00 tC

18.32 RSX

18.72 Veloster

20.20 Eclipse

21.61 CR-Z

23.36 CT Hybrid

Once again in case you missed it.

http://toyobaru.net/gallery/data/502/FT_IIvsGenCvsStangvsMX5.png

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I'll still keep my 07 Pontiac Solstice GXP, 5MT, convertible. Weight to Power is 10.2 with GM Performance tune & 11.4 stock tune. With near 50/50 weight distribution. And paid less then 27k. I was thinking of trading in my GXP for the BRZ. But not for this one. I feel I'll be down grading in over all package. But will take another look at the BRZ if & when it comes with a turbo charged motor.

Mike

Mileage:331487 Retired/Sold

I haven't heard any 10+ LGT owners have any issues with ground clearance yet.

It's not like you'd be taking this car off roading anyways. lol

True, I just ASSume this car is going to start off w/ lower ground clearance and they people will be lowering the cars more. Also that they might have situated the motor lower down than normal. Who knows, all speculation.

First drives of the BRZ and GT 86 from evo.

on first impressions, the BRZ feels more than capable of taking the fight to rivals like the Audi TT, BMW 1-Coupe and even – power deficit withstanding – the Porsche Cayman.

http://www.evo.co.uk/carreviews/evocarreviews/276025/driven_subaru_brz.html

It restores your faith in cars. No excuses, no unsaid undercurrent that makes the best of the fact that cars are generally becoming more synthetic and less involving to drive. The GT 86 is a complete cracker.

[...]

It makes a Scirocco seem synthetic, an RCZ anaesthetised, a 3-series Coupé over-complicated. This is a pure driving device like an Elise or an MX-5 with sharpened sinews. This is how a proper sporting coupé should be. Toyota intended it to embody elements of the 1960s 2000GT and the 1980s rear-drive Corolla Twin-Cam (AE86), and it does.

http://www.evo.co.uk/carreviews/evocarreviews/276016/driven_toyota_gt_86.html

sorry...this forum practically blows goat nuts so im not always on here.
Team Pony Express

POSTED FROM MY COMPUTER USING A WEB BROWSER

Some details from the Motor Trend First Drive:

The 2013 Subaru BRZ will be available in seven colors (black, pearl white, silver, dark grey, dark blue, world rally blue, and red) when it goes on sale in May 2012. Expected volume for the BRZ is in the neighborhood of 3600-4000 per year and the cars will be built alongside the Toyota GT86 and Scion FR-S at Subaru's Gunma Main Plant.

True, I just ASSume this car is going to start off w/ lower ground clearance and they people will be lowering the cars more. Also that they might have situated the motor lower down than normal. Who knows, all speculation.

From Autoblog's review, they're saying that the BRZ has 4.9" of ground clearance.

http://www.autoblog.com/2011/12/05/2013-subaru-brz-first-drive-review/

Also from Autoblog:
And that's why there's no turbo, and no plans to include one – the engine occupies the space where Subaru would normally bolt one on. They moved so many things around, we don't know why they couldn't have been just as creative with some forced induction, but the company's traditional placement of the intercooler atop the engine simply wouldn't have worked. Subaru plans a longer life-cycle for the car, six to seven years instead of four to five, and it was strongly hinted that we would see a power bump during a mid-cycle refresh – but not a turbocharged bump. We were told as well, though, that this engine will be the base of Subaru's next-generation turbocharged engine.
The lightweight aluminum wheels are about the only visual cue that strikes us as a little off, or rather, the 245/45 R 17 tires: They're so skinny. Other markets will be offered 16-inch wheels, but we'll only get the 17s. We were told that the BRZ can handle 18-inch, 45-aspect-ratio tires, and we won't be surprised to see them quickly bolted on.
(Other articles specify 16" wheels for the Premium. Though Motor Trend changed their specs article, which now says 17" alloy for both.)

Honestly, with all the talk in this thread, i will wait till i see it in person and test drive it before i write it off. sure, on paper, it could use more power or maybe have this or that, but it could be just a brilliantly simple fun car to drive.

Archived