LegacyGT.com

Racer X (itsme) FMIC install

itsme

I'm hoping someone can satisfy the engineer in me for why the cold side piping is larger diameter than the hot side. Putting on my thermodynamics hat, colder air is more dense, and thus needs less volume to maintain the same pressure. Seems that larger cold side piping would just result in a larger pressure drop, thus resulting in the classic decreased throttle response... Am I missing something? If the cold side was a smaller diameter pipe, it would also resolve the tight fit with the stock battery.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The pipe size has a lot to do with turbo outlet(2" lgt flange, 1 7/8" sti style turbo),the size of the outlets on the intercooler(2.5") , and the throttle body(2.75").

I was worried that reducing the pipe after the 2.5" intercooler outlet would reduce flow. Once the air hits the core the original stream is diffused as it fills the 23"x2.5"x9" core and then brought back together at the 2.5" outlet. So I kept the pipe at 2.5 on the cold side and added a 2.75" to 2.5" at the throttle body. That is the reason for the pipe size.

Racer X FMIC for '05-'09 LGTs, '08+ WRX and '10+ LGT,'14+ FXT, and '15+ WRX TMIC Racerxengineering.com

I'm having a little issue with my throttle body to fmic hose connection. I have taken it off and put it back on three times now and I can't get rid of a leak that I have there. Does anyone else have this problem (I have a WRX so it might be different for you legacy guys? ) [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BH-R6fVTN8Q]Boost Leak? - YouTube[/ame] that is the sound that I have. I've been told my a few other wrx guys that that noise is caused by the tbody hose. Any ideas on how to fix it or any help?

The best way to do it is to put the 2.75" to 2.5" hose included with the kit on the throttle body first. You push it all of the way till it hits the raised section on the TB and clamp it down securely. Then, you add the pipe for the throttle body and clamp that. That is the best way to do it. Bryan
Racer X FMIC for '05-'09 LGTs, '08+ WRX and '10+ LGT,'14+ FXT, and '15+ WRX TMIC Racerxengineering.com

The pipe size has a lot to do with turbo outlet(2" lgt flange, 1 7/8" sti style turbo),the size of the outlets on the intercooler(2.5") , and the throttle body(2.75").

I was worried that reducing the pipe after the 2.5" intercooler outlet would reduce flow. Once the air hits the core the original stream is diffused as it fills the 23"x2.5"x9" core and then brought back together at the 2.5" outlet. So I kept the pipe at 2.5 on the cold side and added a 2.75" to 2.5" at the throttle body. That is the reason for the pipe size.

Thanks for the explanation! It still doesn't fit from a thermodynamics standpoint, but I understand why you went that direction. But, the stock intercooler inlet / outlet sizes don't make sense either, so who am I to complain.

^^ hmm I tried this exact way and I could of bet 100 dollars that I made sure it was seated perfectly and all the way to the raised section. So I'm not sure is it possible that it could be leaking from maybe the bpv or something?

definitely sounds like a leak. it should be pretty obvious once you find the loose part. what i did with the throttle body was pull the pipe towards the TB by the bpv and tighten the clamps at the same time. Be mindful of your positioning with the clamp, and the clamp itself....make sure the belts are flat against the coupler. Another idea would be to remove the whole intake pipe and just tighten the coupler to the tb alone, then install the pipe. You may actually have a leak somewhere else though, so don't rule out other connections. make sure all the pipes are pulled close together inside the couplers.

I made a FMIC tester, which I had 2 other leaks which were fixed, the only area where it could be leaking is the Tbody or bpv. (The tester I made I just disconnected both sides of the IC, plugged both sides n shot air into it)

I'm so frustrated with my car :( It's really annoying, almost makes me want to go back to stock.

Got a lot of pics. of the RacerX FMIC with a Moshimoto radiator. 1" wider than Stock. Which causes you to ditch the OE air box & coolant over flow tank. I replacing the OEM air box with K&N Typhoon Intake (that I just order from FBP) & OEM coolant over flow tank with a small universal over flow tank from Advance Auto Parts. Which will be relocated on the back of the fire wall. Where the TMIC use to be. Additional trimming of bottom coolant over flow tank mount & moving the PS radiator fan plug below it's original mounting place.

http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l293/HAMMERDOWNGT/Subaru/th_0924111508.jpg http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l293/HAMMERDOWNGT/Subaru/th_0924111510.jpghttp://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l293/HAMMERDOWNGT/Subaru/th_0925112050.jpg

No room for stock air box. Switch to K&N Typhoon Intake

http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l293/HAMMERDOWNGT/Subaru/th_0925112347.jpg http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l293/HAMMERDOWNGT/Subaru/th_0929112255a.jpg http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l293/HAMMERDOWNGT/Subaru/th_0929112255.jpg

Mike

Mileage:331487 Retired/Sold

I made a FMIC tester, which I had 2 other leaks which were fixed, the only area where it could be leaking is the Tbody or bpv. (The tester I made I just disconnected both sides of the IC, plugged both sides n shot air into it)

I'm so frustrated with my car :( It's really annoying, almost makes me want to go back to stock.

Step back and take a deep breath. It's not as bad as it seem. You are almost there. Have you made sure the BPV valve gasket is sealing to the flange? Have you check all of your vacuum lines?

After spending about 9 hours checking vacuum lines, checking all connections and re-doing the tbody hose twice and trying everything I could think of, I've decided it's time to go back to the stock tmic :( Nothing bad to say about the actual FMIC, the kit is very nice, I just think maybe in the future for the WRX kits if its possible to send the J-pipe with a thicker end which connects to the coupler by the throttle body, so you could use the OEM t-body hose. I know a few other FMIC kits have a 1-2" thicker 2.75" pipe that goes into the normal 2.5", that connects directly to the OEM hose(the oem hose design seems to be the best sadly), but then again that might throw off the routing of the piping, not sure. anyways thanks for the help, Bryan keep doing what your doing.

After spending about 9 hours checking vacuum lines, checking all connections and re-doing the tbody hose twice and trying everything I could think of, I've decided it's time to go back to the stock tmic :( Nothing bad to say about the actual FMIC, the kit is very nice, I just think maybe in the future for the WRX kits if its possible to send the J-pipe with a thicker end which connects to the coupler by the throttle body, so you could use the OEM t-body hose. I know a few other FMIC kits have a 1-2" thicker 2.75" pipe that goes into the normal 2.5", that connects directly to the OEM hose(the oem hose design seems to be the best sadly), but then again that might throw off the routing of the piping, not sure. anyways thanks for the help, Bryan keep doing what your doing.

Before you do that call me. I will pm you my number. I think we can figure it out. Bryan

Wish I had the cash for one of these. I <3 FMIC's. :wub:

-Steve

I'm out again but, I will have more next month. I plan on being around for awhile so, I'll be here when your ready.

Just to let you guys know:

First day and first time at SEMA. All I can say is wow. So many amazing cars and so many booths. :) Had a long talk with a guy from Subaru's SPT. They have no plan for performance parts for the '10+ LGT except maybe a few braces and suspension. He said that thay are moving away from engine modds because of problems with covering it under warranty.

So, I was on a mission to see what manufacturers would have the parts we needed for our Subarus. I spoke with a well know manufacturer about a true drop in performance fuel pump for '08+ Wrx/Sti, '05-'11+ Lgts with no modifying of the fuel pump basket. No more cores to return for refunds. No more waiting and they are compatible with e85. It will even come with a install kit that include o-rings and it should be able to get them around January.

I talked to air cleaner manufacturers to find a filter for the intake I may make for '10+LGTs. I even talked to a turbo manufacturer about making a turbo for Subarus. Their turbos are different than any of the turbos we have that it doesn't even have wastegate. Also Some new brake rotor options for all Subaru's. Some of the stuff there was so new that we could take pictures. I'm look for parts that will be the natural progression if you upgrade your car. I thank all of you for your support to get me to SEMA. I'm out here as a buyer to find new products for Subaru owners. It's been a long day so I will update you guys more after I go back tomorrow. Later, Bryan

Just to let you guys know:

First day and first time at SEMA. All I can say is wow. So many amazing cars and so many booths. :) Had a long talk with a guy from Subaru's SPT. They have no plan for performance parts for the '10+ LGT except maybe a few braces and suspension. He said that thay are moving away from engine modds because of problems with covering it under warranty.

So, I was on a mission to see what manufacturers would have the parts we needed for our Subarus. I spoke with a well know manufacturer about a true drop in performance fuel pump for '08+ Wrx/Sti, '05-'11+ Lgts with no modifying of the fuel pump basket. No more cores to return for refunds. No more waiting and they are compatible with e85. It will even come with a install kit that include o-rings and it should be able to get them around January.

I talked to air cleaner manufacturers to find a filter for the intake I may make for '10+LGTs. I even talked to a turbo manufacturer about making a turbo for Subarus. Their turbos are different than any of the turbos we have that it doesn't even have wastegate. Also Some new brake rotor options for all Subaru's. Some of the stuff there was so new that we could take pictures. I'm look for parts that will be the natural progression if you upgrade your car. I thank all of you for your support to get me to SEMA. I'm out here as a buyer to find new products for Subaru owners. It's been a long day so I will update you guys more after I go back tomorrow. Later, Bryan

no wastegate?! say whaaaa.

i feel like you're spying for us :spin:

i just wanted to make it known to bryan and the people interested in buying his kit that i recently made 312awhp/326awtq on a dynojet @IAGperformance.

i would have made up to 30+ more if i was catless and did TGV deletes.

im in no way bragging about my numbers, they seem fairly low to me, but thats on a conservative 20psi, stock block, and avo420 turbo.i just wanted to show the potential that this kit really holds and that it indeed does flow better than a aftermarket tmic. after a full 2 hrs of tuning i could still hold my hand on the front of it and it was ice cold.

Archived