LegacyGT.com

2.5i - dangerously slow?

Try not revving it to 6500 for normal driving. And if you are in the city ( stop/go driving) it will be hard to get the Avg MPG high.

besides your driving habits ahev you changed your fuel and air filters?

I was justing kidding I don't drive like this very often.:lol:

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

you need to keep in mind 1. the car is AWD 2. its an automatic 3. its drive by wire 4. its heavy.. we loose 25% of the "170"ish hp through our drivetrain wich would make it around a 42hp loss, which makes it 128hp to the wheels... remember the FWD cars you are comparing to or used to driving loose half of what we do through the drivetrain, and since drive by wire is kindof a new thing most people are not use to the lack of response, mashing the gas will get you no ware..

it is what it is.. its a nice car... but was not built for performance, if you wanted performance you should of bought a WRX or a LGT.. just remember that come winter time your going to be the one laughing at others sliding all over the road..

I had a fast car, its nothing special, just gets you into more trouble and makes your pokets less green... thats why i bought a 2.5i, yeah i regret it every once in a while but hey.. it is what it is.........

if you wanted fast you should have bought a leggy gt or spec-b. I went from an 04 sti modded to an 08 i legacy. I think the car is just right. It is not a speed demon by any means, and the car is great in the corners it it setup right. Also try stomping it to the ground while turning the corner, instead of turning and then hitting the car. Ahahhaha if tires are good then the awd should pull you should you through. Lol all in all the i is a great car.

wat?

Dude why did you do that ? cheaper ? wrecked? or worse wife? :lol:

naw, the 04 STI was having problems with the banjo bolt filter. I had fixed it once and then was having more problems. I sold the car and traded in my other car with it. Got the 2.5 I for a great deal and it was for my wife to drive. I now have her 98 BEAST corolla and a 96 mother driven taurus. LOL :lol:. I will be selling one for a WRX wagon and will be putting on the STI parts on the wagon and a few more with a 93 tune.

I talked to the kid who bought my old STi and the motor blew 5 months later. Cost was 7300 for repair. Also the car had a duck taped filter on the car :eek:. Oh yeah did i forget to mention the Winter Ipike snow tire were still on the car and it was 89 out side that day and it was summer. I:( cried

^^ i take it you dont drive on the highway with that? lol 33's are big meats for a 4 banger lol

i had it up to about 80 on the speedo once, im sure it was off a few miles an hour cause of the different tire sizes. it needed gears bad but i wasnt about to put 1500 into an 1100 beater rig

That's kinda surprising, considering it's a 2009. I was about to say maybe because the 2010 models are bigger and heavier?

Anyway I find that I merge faster than many of the cars out there... but then again I have a manual.

I don't know how the auto transmission works... I mean if I were going up a ramp at like 1k rpm, I guess it'd be really slow for me to accelerate to any decent speed but even being in first or second at 2k, I accelerate pretty well... I can only assume acceleration should be about the same for auto in the same gear.

Unfortunately I have 4eat, however I don't have any problems getting up to speed. If I can't get up to speed, it's never my or the cars fault, always because granny decided to slam on the breaks at the end of the on ramp.

Figure out how the legacy optimally responds to driver input. Input, defined here, being the combination of cornering, braking, accelerating, passing, decision making, etc. Once you get a strong sense of all these factors under your belt, there is no reason why your car should ever 'feel slow.' Remind yourself that you're driving on public roads. Dangerously slow cannot describe a 170 tq sedan; let alone a 170 tq AWD vehicle. If you're driving the Subie the way it should be driven, you will not get rear ended on-ramps. no pun intended.

I only say all this because I was sharing in your frustration since 4 years of driving our 05 2.5i 4eat. About 3 years in, I began to realize that the problems lie with the pilots, not so much the vehicle.

i drive my 2.5i on and off parkways everyday multiple times a day and never had a problem with almost getting rear ended. I have notice tho that if you put the pedal to the floor you dont move as face as if you just ease into it.

Step 1: Learn to ALWAYS drive in sport-shift mode in the kind of situations where which gear you're in matters and you NEED that optimal power/gearing.

Step 2: Upgrade your stock wheels/tires to something that can handle faster turns without squealing (this is what I did). Now i have lightweight 17s, wider patch, better all season tires than stock, it feels like a whole different car (by throwing on some running shoes) and that's all I did (plus this setup cost significantly CHEAPER than the dealer charging for OEM rims/tires). Meaning that turns that stock I could only take at 10-15mph, I can wing it at 20mph comfortably because my tires are nailed to the road. Thus with a faster turning/exiting speed you won't need to make up as many mphs when you're merging. Also tire traction/grip is everything when it comes to full throttle acceleration.

Here's my tire/rims set up with specs/costs http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=105143 they're kinda on the ricer side of things but they accomplish their function well.

If you're the kind of person that is strictly OEM (unless you leased it) well that sucks to be you and you're missing out on unlocking some potential in a decent car.

Step 2: Upgrade your stock wheels/tires to something that can handle faster turns without squealing (this is what I did). Now i have lightweight 17s, wider patch, better all season tires than stock, it feels like a whole different car (by throwing on some running shoes) and that's all I did (plus this setup cost significantly CHEAPER than the dealer charging for OEM rims/tires). Meaning that turns that stock I could only take at 10-15mph, I can wing it at 20mph comfortably because my tires are nailed to the road. Thus with a faster turning/exiting speed you won't need to make up as many mphs when you're merging. Also tire traction/grip is everything when it comes to full throttle acceleration.

I have to disagree with this. I don't think you should go out and waste your hard earned money on new wheels and tires. I'm not sure what the 06's came with, I think the yoko advan a82's that came on my '09 2.5i are pretty darn good, for an OEM tire. I did get a little tire squeal when turning if i ran them at what the placard recommended (32psi or so?), but once I bumped them up to 36psi all around the squeal went away. Unless you drive like a maniac or autox, i think the stock rubber is good enough.

To the OP, I'd suggest taking your car to subaru and telling them your concerns, something isn't normal.

That's kinda surprising, considering it's a 2009. I was about to say maybe because the 2010 models are bigger and heavier?

Anyway I find that I merge faster than many of the cars out there... but then again I have a manual.

I don't know how the auto transmission works... I mean if I were going up a ramp at like 1k rpm, I guess it'd be really slow for me to accelerate to any decent speed but even being in first or second at 2k, I accelerate pretty well... I can only assume acceleration should be about the same for auto in the same gear.

the 2010 only gained 50lb so that shouldnt really have any affect :D

+3 for the Yokohama A82 for being a decent OEM tire. I love how the OP has never responded, sounds like a 2.5i hater just decided to spark all this. I've never had an issue merging into traffic. If the OP is really having this issue, I guess the government needs to ban cars with 175hp or less? Either that or the OP's car is a lemon.

I get the impression the OP was not driving before the horsepower wars began.

I learned to drive in an Olds Cutlass, a large sedan with around 130hp, and a Datsun (yes, Datsun) B210 with maybe 80hp. My first two cars were a Chevy Cavalier with 90hp and a Mazda MX-3 with, again, 90hp. The 2.5i won't set any speed records, but I've certainly driven slower cars!

Archived