LegacyGT.com

2.5i - dangerously slow?

Obviously, this poster has never driven a truly slow car. During the gas crisis' of the seventies, I was doing the NY to Atlanta commute about three times per month, and since gas availability was iffy at times, I bought a diesel Rabbit. This was a dangerously slow car, but regularly made it from Atl to Baltimore on one tank of fuel...

Maybe the floor mat is stuck under the gas peddle...

Like I said earlier in this thread.... the HP wars have become out of control when a 175hp family sedan is considered "dangerously slow". Come on. :rolleyes:

Try driving a 1980's Chevete automatic like I did in high school.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

I went from an 02 wrx to an 08 2.5i and I couldn't be happier w/ the switch. I am surprised at how much pick up it has b/c I was worried coming from the turbo engine. I opted for the manual tranny, but my mother has an 06 in auto and I drove it frequently on a week long trip to the cape this summer. No issues at all w/ merging into traffic.

If the corner has a speed limit of or 15 than the average Civic could probably do 20mph... the legacy should man handle it at 20 while speeding up.

is it just me or does the 2.5i have wayy to much lag on the bottom end? It feels like my car has trouble getting from 0 to 10 mph, it hesitates.

Yup. Some have attributed this to "drive by wire" and the ECU delay in responding to more throttle. Think of it as turbo lag in a NA car. Response is better if you manually shift but, I find the same delay if the transmission is also in "sport mode". Sport mode is not as bad as normal drive with manual mode being the most responsive. Still, not dangerously slow although you do need to pick your spots if driving on a hiway entrance ramp.

• I Donated

The 2010 Outback is slow. My dad has one with the 6MT, and 6th gear is useless on any degree of incline on the highway. I use 4th regularly driving in the foothills east of the Appalachians in the Mid-Atlantic area. The thing is too heavy and 170 hp doesn't really cut it in this day and age.

However, calling it "dangerously slow" is a big stretch. Go find an old Legacy wagon with a 4EAT and the EJ22, or an old Impreza with a 4EAT and the EJ18. You're getting closer to "dangerously slow" there, but not quite.

I'll second that^

After this last week's episode driving an M1097 HMMWV (the non-armored one) on the freeway, I've really learned to appreciate my "dangerously slow" 2.5i. I think 0-60 in that tan monster took well over 40 seconds.

But whose gonna cut you off? :lol: I passed one this summer that had a dummy in the gun turret. I'm sure such things are frowned upon, but it made me :lol:

Government does not solve problems; it subsidizes them

-Ronald Reagan

The 2.5i is definitely annoyingly slow, if not dangerously.

Around here the single-lane highways here, the passing opportunities are usually short and there is always oncoming traffic in the distance. So passing is something you want to do quickly, but especially with the 4EAT, is difficult.

A throttle controller is the easiest way to fix that bottom end responsiveness. If you keep the 2.5i wound up (above 3400 RPM) it will do what you ask on demand below that with a 5MT you get a little better get up. The new EJ engine wont be any better in fact it may suck worse as they are gearing all engines towards MPG and efficiency. The new EJ is rumored to have a better mid range b/c it is switching back to DOHC, yes SOHC down the drain again :lol:

just got my 2.0r road tune using unichip q piggyback. so much much better. and my 2.0r is 4eat. throttle controller on normal now. haven't got the time for a dyno yet

hurricane drop-in filter, removed water bottle from the airbox replaced with a piping to the foglight, zerosports lighten crank pulley & hks silent hi-power mufflers. stock cats & stock midpipe

• 2 weeks later...
But whose gonna cut you off? :lol: I passed one this summer that had a dummy in the gun turret. I'm sure such things are frowned upon, but it made me :lol:

True, if you cut me off or flip me off while driving that Hummer, you're cutting off and/or flipping off America--in which case, the terrorists win. :lol:

I test drove an '05 Outback 2.5i last week with the 4EAT (I think that's what its called) and it wasn't slow, but it wasn't fast either. It didn't have a whole lot of pickup. Today I drove an '05 legacy 2.5i 5MT and it's no sports car, but I wouldn't call it slow at all. Nice and fun to drive with enough power to get somewhere if you wanted to. Honestly, it was a lot better than expected after reading threads like this.

Current: 16 Crosstrek Premium w/ Eyesight & 05 Outback XT 5MT

Past Subies: 14 FXT Premium, 14 WRX hatch, 06 Legacy 2.5i SE 5MT, 98 Outback wagon

My 2.5i is pretty snappy for what it is. Also I think that smashing the accelerator is not in your best interest. The car is drive-by-wire, and the smashing may actually not be as responsive.

I have never had any problems getting to highway speeds at on ramps or anywhere else. Maybe there is something wrong with your car. The 2.5i should be enough to get you out of any problem. is not like it's a 1.5 honda engine with no torque.

X

^ this

I have a 5MT and the 2.5i has plenty of balls merging onto highways, going up mountain passes - even fully loaded with gear.

Would I love to have the GT? Sure. But I'm content with what the 2.5i offers

I have a 4EAT and the throttle controller does help quite a bit, especially in SP7. I just had a lightweight crank pulley installed last week, and it made a fairly big difference. There is less lag and the pedal feels more sensitive, I can coast longer/further on the highway, and now I have to keep the brakes pressed when stopped at a slight incline by my house. SP4-5 with the LWCP feels like SP7 with the stock pulley :D

2006 SWP 3.0R 5EAT VDC BBQ

2008 OBP 2.5i 4EAT BBQ [RIP]

had mine open source tuned by a well known tuner via a street tune with wide band, it's so responsive it's scary, sometime I think the engine just cut out but it was actually my foot letting off the gas ever so slightly, that was when I first got the tune, I'm used to it now...:spin::spin::spin::lol:

• 2 weeks later...

But, it can fly when necessary

Subaru-Powered, Jesus-Supporting Flying Car Gets FAA Approval

http://cache.gawkerassets.com/assets/images/12/2010/10/500x_oshkosh.jpgThe I-Tec Maverick, a roadworthy dune buggy powered by a Subaru engine, has won the first certification from the Federal Aviation Administration for a flying car. Its first mission: Saving the Third World.

Steve Saint runs i-Tec, which stands for "indigenous people's technology and education center." A Christian missionary, Saint started the firm to solve technological problems for remote tribes of Central and South America, and spent six years working on the Maverick.

With a 170-hp, 2.4 liter Subaru four-cylinder built into a canvas-covered frame, the Maverick can run up to 60 mph in less than 4 seconds. But its real trick comes when it deploys a cloth wing on a 22-foot mast and takes flight. After years of testing, the FAA in September certified the Maverick as a "powered parachute." That's different than the Terrafugia and similar vehicles which are classified as roadworthy planes.

Saint says since the Maverick needs just 100 yards to take off, it could help missionary pilots and jungle tribes become self-sufficient without having to abandon their way of life. His current estimated price for a production Maverick is $80,000, but hopes that sales to recreational pilots drive down the cost.

That's actually really awesome. I'm not sure many missionaries Could afford one, but the idea is stellar!

Current: 16 Crosstrek Premium w/ Eyesight & 05 Outback XT 5MT

Past Subies: 14 FXT Premium, 14 WRX hatch, 06 Legacy 2.5i SE 5MT, 98 Outback wagon

Archived