LegacyGT.com

2.5i - dangerously slow?

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Meh.. We have my 05 GT and an 03 L Wagon.....

I get in the wagon and start driving, everytime thinking at around 3k rpm this beast is gonna wake up and... no.. she just chugs along...eventually getting up to speed. It's kind of torture.

If you can safely do it take the corner a bit faster, try to drop as little speed as possible so you're not trying to get going again after you make the turn.. and you'll probably get better gas mileage :)

Whatever our cars lack in power can be made up in cornering, and suspension. I live in the suburbs, and try to Vermont every weekend, the roads are ******* rad to drive on in my car because I can take them going 30+ over the speed limit (even more once I get coilovers).

A friend of mine had a stock LGT, and couldn't keep up with me without getting immense understeer and sliding in the corners. Who cares about straightline speed, taking corners is more fun anyway.

Plus, STis and LGTs scramble once they hit snow, traction is totally gone.

I really love my car.

What makes your car so special and have all these abilitiez?

What makes your car so special and have all these abilitiez?

http://www.ratfinktshirts.com/Images/HugeHaaay.jpg

It must be because the 2.5i's have a lower center of gravity w/o the intercooler and the rear is lighter because of the differential and the rear brakes aren't as robust so they don't slow down as much around corners.

i describe my 09 2.5i SE as an acura integra gs-r sedan

in an awd version...it has about the same power

to me...our cars weigh more of course but still zips through

nicely when you step on it...and with the cost of gas these

days...i cant complain much

Follow me on IG @chefodiycarguy

and @chefo.soriano

• 4 weeks later...

Keep in mind this car only has 3000 miles on it.

This.

The car will definitely feel faster by about 10-15k miles...

The cold idle stuff is normal, and the sport mode does shift somewhat awkwardly, and at higher rpms. Ease up on the gas before it shifts. A good shift should reduce the rpm by a lesser amount. If it bothers you that much wait for the car to warm up before going.

Use the sport shift when taking this ramp to maximize acceleration (somewhat) manually.

Consider a high performance air filter (AVO, K&N, Blitz, and Whiteline make them for this car), a small and nearly unrecognizable difference until you use it for a couple thousand miles and try switching back to the OEM.

If all this does not work, there is a problem with your car.

Also, you have AWD so take the ramp a bit faster.

• 4 weeks later...

Dangerously slow? 170 horse is plenty of power to be safe. Will it snap your neck with

acceleration? Probably not. Does it have enough power to keep up with the flow of traffic? Yes.

Either there is something wrong with your car or you have no clue as to what you are talking about.

Even with my 2.5i 5MT, sometimes in first and second gear I feel a little annoyed... not a lot of low end torque, nothing to do with hp.

but i have to say, i feel no problem getting up to highway speeds. The on ramp should be enough time for you to get into 3rd gear anyway, so shouldn't be a problem.

personally, i take that "sharp right turn" a little faster :lol: maybe around 30mph so i have no trouble at all

I have no issue with the 2.5i auto.

Shift it over to manual mode so you can speed through the corner while holding higher RPM. My passengers can confirm that this car has some sweet cornering abilities.

Faster through the corners means less ground to make up on the straights.

• 4 months later...

I keep thinking about this thread... in January we bought a 1998 Outback 2.5 to complement our 2005 LGT... The engine had bent valves and was disassembled. I had the head decked to make sure it was straight (which I'm sure slightly raised compression) and also polished the ports before reassembly (which I doubt did anything).

I'm amazed at the power this car has.. it's 165hp, which I think the 2.5i still is.. around town at partial throttle it's really peppy, and even on the highway it merges nicely... it's no LGT, but it's not a slouch either... we "raced" a new Outback up a hill off of a red light, we were barely faster, and I mean barely, maybe a car length after two blocks...

I think there is something wrong with your car if it's that bad... the 2.5i is no turbo, but it's not bad either...

• 4 weeks later...
My '09 2.5i has some good rip, it's not super fast. Using sport mode and manually shifting up/down improves the response a lot so that you don't have to wait for it to downshift, and you can stay in a gear with some good RPM for a snappy takeoff.

The Achilles heel of the 2.5i is not the engine but the archaic 4 speed auto transmission. It is a stout, reliable, cheap unit, but is really out of place in the age of modern 6speed + transmissions. It is by far my biggest gripe with the car and I have considered getting rid of the car solely for the crappy tranny.

The Achilles heel of the 2.5i is not the engine but the archaic 4 speed auto transmission. It is a stout, reliable, cheap unit, but is really out of place in the age of modern 6speed + transmissions. It is by far my biggest gripe with the car and I have considered getting rid of the car solely for the crappy tranny.

Sport mode or manual mode makes it a LOT better, but an extra gear would be really nice, agreed.

Obviously, this poster has never driven a truly slow car. During the gas crisis' of the seventies, I was doing the NY to Atlanta commute about three times per month, and since gas availability was iffy at times, I bought a diesel Rabbit. This was a dangerously slow car, but regularly made it from Atl to Baltimore on one tank of fuel...

Maybe the floor mat is stuck under the gas peddle...

Archived