LegacyGT.com

Synthetic Oil vs Conventional Oil.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What team, platnium? Bentley Warren?

No but I helped them out a couple times as well as Chris Perly (The Rowley Rocket) and Dunnigan Racing. I live in Rowley, where Bently Warren and Chris Perly are based out of. Also, I helped out Dunnigan Racing a great number of times. I actually helped on the Bentley Warren team, the Chris Perly team, and the Dunnigan team before we got our car in 2004 or 2005.

The team I was a part of was a less-than-stellar team that never finished in good standing due to a sub-par driver. We were number 56 at the time. The car owner (My cousin) and the driver (My cousin's son) bought the car used from a team who replaced that car with a newer chassis and engine. We ran a practice race one time and blew a con rod out of the oil pan. One of the Dunnigan guys offered us his shop and a spare engine so we could race the following night, but we refused since it would be too much work with not enough sleep. We sat out a few races till we got our new engine. No engine troubles (Except fuel mixture issues and incorrect cam issues) after that. We were getting peak torque way to early for the short North East tracks we were running due to the cam selection our engine builder chose.

And yes, I forgot, synthetic oil does make the audio system louder, as it increases the amount of watts an aftermarket amp puts out... ;)

Wow, this thread is really holding together! Paging Rao.

So you go to a Subaru dealership that truly gives you synthetic oil? That's strange considering SOA has a policy of using NO synthetic. Engines have been denied warranty replacement because of the use of synthetic prior to going pop.

I use synthetic. Not saying anything about whether it is good or bad. Just saying your dealer is certainly not like the ones I use to visit, or the ones people post about on here.

[CENTER][B][I] Front Limited Slip Racing Differentials for the 5EAT now available for $1895 shipped, please inquire for details! [/I][/B][/CENTER]

I used mobil 1 for many years in highly modified DSMs, a highly modified supra, a mildly modifed A4 and in my current tastefully modified LGT.

2 oil changes ago I switched to Castrol Syntec, and last change I used German Castrol 0w30. My car with 52k miles was starting to use oil, and the switch to Castrol stopped that.

$0.02 worth.

I have read bad things about synthetic oil; I have also read bad things about non-synthetic oil. :confused:

Who cares about oil, I have heard bag things about fast cars! Apparently some people crash them sometimes causing really bad things to happen. Everyone should have slow cars only. The movement can start with us...

[CENTER][B][I] Front Limited Slip Racing Differentials for the 5EAT now available for $1895 shipped, please inquire for details! [/I][/B][/CENTER]

Who cares about oil, I have heard bag things about fast cars! Apparently some people crash them sometimes causing really bad things to happen. Everyone should have slow cars only. The movement can start with us...

Umm... how about, no... haha, just playin.

Wow, this thread is really holding together! Paging Rao.

So you go to a Subaru dealership that truly gives you synthetic oil? That's strange considering SOA has a policy of using NO synthetic. Engines have been denied warranty replacement because of the use of synthetic prior to going pop.

I use synthetic. Not saying anything about whether it is good or bad. Just saying your dealer is certainly not like the ones I use to visit, or the ones people post about on here.

Could you quote your sources?

SOA oil specification says nothing about manufacturing process of the oil only the final product.

Krzys

I always appreciate the contingent of people who like to bait these threads instead of trying to kill them or provide relevant future searchable material.

OP - You are fine using regular ol' dino oil for a 3k mile interval.

Platinum - For many decades, all race teams and race engines used dino oils all season every season. Your anecdote has no bearing on what is best for the engine of a modern daily driven car.

Everyone else - There is a recent UOA of a LGT owner running Pennzoil 5w30 (yellow bottle, a good dino oil) and at 3400 miles it was solidly sheared to a 20 weight oil with no signs of fuel dilution or other abnormalities which would mitigate a sheared oil. The oil was breaking down, even though it was still protecting. Now that car will probably last 200k running Pennzoil 5w30 YB and beyond. But the point is that the oil was comprised within it's usual oil change interval during normal driving habits on a stock LGT. What would have happened if he was modified? How about if he was heavily fuel-diluted and running the car in Phoenix in the summer? What happens if he has to do a sudden 1000 mile each-way road trip towards the equator during a heat wave? Can he trust it?

The point is simple: Use an oil that is fully capable of NOT being compromised during your chose oil change interval. There are some heavy-duty dino oils that can do it, and there are a good amount of synthetics that can too.

Pick one that makes you feel warm and fuzzy and doesn't break your wallet, and then drive hard with confidence.

Joe

Could you quote your sources?

SOA oil specification says nothing about manufacturing process of the oil only the final product.

Krzys

You're right and you're wrong. Various dealerships will swear to you that synthetic voids your warranty. Warranties have been voided because of this. Some dealerships don't care. Many members of NASIOC and LGT have posted that they got scolded but not a voided warranty. Someone on NASIOC dug up a SOA publication saying that synthetic is okay.

So the moral of the story is don't necessarily walk into your dealer saying "I run synthetic," check to make sure if you're not, and that's it. If it came down to it, I'm sure you could raise hell with SOA and probably get them to overturn the dealer's decision. Well, that's enough wasted time for today...

1. MetroWest Subaru, Natick, MA 508-651-2000 - told me Synthetic will void the warranty, and it flips the check engine light (F%ING HORRIBLE PLACE, except for Ed and Karl)
  2. http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=113713
  3. http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=115345
  4. http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2546800
  5. http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=752097&page=2

It's amazing no one gets product licensing... Many manufacturers clearly pick Mobil 1 because it is a superior oil, not at all because M1's licensing department/representation negotiated for the title of recommended oil.

People on here might want to familiarize themselves with the concept of:

Corelation does not equal causation

It would be EXTREMELY unlikely that a brand of oil, especially one as highly regarded, tested, and popular as Mobil1 would cause engine failures. Unbelievable level of hysteria on this board about Mobil1, and all completely unfounded.

+1

I have used Mobil 1 full synthetic and not a drop of oil has burned.

Not a Mobil 1 fan anymore...used it in my Mach 1 and start up noise was significantly more than it currently has with Amsoil XL series. Next oil change is going to Pennzoil Platinum in the Mustang. Legacy is getting Pennzoil yellow bottle and Tribeca currenly has Pennzoil Platinum. Tribeca seems noticeably quiter with the Platinum compared to Mobil clean 5000 oil. Check out bob is the oil guy forums and see how much love Mobil 1 gets there.

Archived