LegacyGT.com

Synthetic Oil vs Conventional Oil.

As for denying warranty - they shouldn't be able to do that as long as you use oil within the recommended specification - regardless of oil brand or whatnot.

And if the oil isn't up to the specifications it claims then it's the oil manufacturer that is guilty for any problems.

453747.png

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply
As for denying warranty - they shouldn't be able to do that as long as you use oil within the recommended specification - regardless of oil brand or whatnot.

And if the oil isn't up to the specifications it claims then it's the oil manufacturer that is guilty for any problems.

Wouldn't it be nice if Subaru was more black and white...

[CENTER][B][I] Front Limited Slip Racing Differentials for the 5EAT now available for $1895 shipped, please inquire for details! [/I][/B][/CENTER]

your all ****** retarded!!!!! there is nothing wrong with using mobile1 oil. ive used it in every car ive ever owned. you dont see the real difference on how great there product is untill youve had to rebuild a motor caked with deposites that wasnt running mobile1! i went to UTI and that is the only oil we ever used on the cars except for royal purple.

your all ****** retarded!!!!! there is nothing wrong with using mobile1 oil. ive used it in every car ive ever owned. you dont see the real difference on how great there product is untill youve had to rebuild a motor caked with deposites that wasnt running mobile1! i went to UTI and that is the only oil we ever used on the cars except for royal purple.

The moment you say that everybody else is retarded you do not look that clever either.

Krzys

Could you quote your sources?

SOA oil specification says nothing about manufacturing process of the oil only the final product.

Krzys

You're right and you're wrong. Various dealerships will swear to you that synthetic voids your warranty. Warranties have been voided because of this. Some dealerships don't care. Many members of NASIOC and LGT have posted that they got scolded but not a voided warranty. Someone on NASIOC dug up a SOA publication saying that synthetic is okay.

So the moral of the story is don't necessarily walk into your dealer saying "I run synthetic," check to make sure if you're not, and that's it. If it came down to it, I'm sure you could raise hell with SOA and probably get them to overturn the dealer's decision. Well, that's enough wasted time for today...

So which part is wrong in my message?

Krzys

"Mobil 1 is not so good for Subaru" is a blanket statement that is plain and simple not accurate. I can't believe I still have the energy to still post this, but here it goes.

Those that have had higher than normal engine wear as noted in oil analyses on Mobil 1 were running 5w30 synthetic. The fact of the matter is other grades have done a lot better, such as the Extended Performance line or 0w40/5w40/European formula/etc.

"I ran Mobil 1 in car xyz" means jackshit, since car XYZ is not a Subaru, is it?

"Mobil 1 is so widely popular, it must be good". By that measure, McDonald's cooks the best food in the world

"Mobil 1 is used by NASCAR and other racing outfits". I don't think anyone here has seen an oil analysis on the wear of those engines which by the way are race engines that may or may not get rebuilt. Simply put, comparing OUR operating conditions to those of rally, NASCAR, whatever, is shortsighted, if not downright stupid.

Bottom line: there are oils out there that are cheaper and perform better than Mobil 1 5w30 synthetic and the proof is in the oil analysises that anyone with 5 minutes to spare can find and read. If you are a fan of Mobil 1, think it's the greatest thing since sliced bread, you had another car with 2 million miles on Mobil 1, by all means continue to run it. It's your car.

BTW, Fishbone hit the nail on the head. M1 makes many wonderful oils. M1 5w30 seems to be an oil that I would run if it were $1 a quart but I just can't justify based upon it's results in lots of used oil analyses and the fact that there are so many better choices out there for less money.

P.s. Rotella T 5w40 forever! :)

Link or it didn't happen :)

Your going to blow your engine. :lol:

http://www.passatworld.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-165097.html

11-01-2004, 01:36 PM

Shell Rotella T 5W-40 is formulated specifically for diesel engines. For gas engines, Shell offers Helix Ultra 5W-40, which meets all the VW’s requirements.

ce560Mike

11-01-2004, 06:24 PM

I used it for several oil changes and I began to have a puff of blue smoke at startup. Switched back to Mobil 1 (0w 40) and smoke disappeared. Not sure about the correlation but beware.

That's actually positive feedback. The Rotella was obviously cleaning out his combustion chambers, ring packs, and valves. Whereas Mobil One was just making things worse. Clearly.

Sorry, I'm going to require a better quote from a random guy on the internet before I believe it's going to blow my engine!

Joe

so is it just mobile 1 that causes potential problems or any full synthetic oils? what about Valvoline SynPower Full Synthetic or MaxLife Full Synthetic?

i just signed up for the valvoline engine guarantee, and they told me i have to change my oil every 3000 miles with either Valvoline SynPower Full Synthetic or MaxLife Full Synthetic. this has me worried about my engine if all full synthetics are like this

Honda doesn't care what type of oil it is as long as its EPA approved Motor oil, propper viscosity and meets API X Y Z. Whether it be dino, synthetic, soy, corn, baby snot.

Of course their stuff is all NA I think.

i know synthetic oils are thinner, thus causing less clearance between certain moving parts of the engine, and it has a better chance to find any oil leaks you have. this this it for the downside of using synthetic oils?

i have always used castrol gtx 5w30 in all my cars and never had problems. i have never had a car i felt was worthy of spending the extra money for full synthetic.

i believe if i participate in the valvoline engine gaurantee, i will be using the Valvoline SynPower Full Synthetic. it says its great for turbo and supercharged motors.

now the only question to answer is what weight synthetic oil is good for a turbo motor? im asking since i have never used synthetic, so im not sure if it changes.

also, my two best friends have an 06 and 07 wrx's, they get their oil changed at the dealership and they both get full synthetic oil from the Subaru City dealership in Milwaukee WI. anyone know what they use at the dealerships for synthetic?

Synthetic oil is usually thinner at lower temperatures, but not at higher. The viscosity rating is what determines how thick/thin the oil is.

And I have been using synthetic oil already in the Volvo B18 I had and it really helped the fuel consumption there. But on the other hand - a standard Volvo B18 engine is about as reliable (and boring) as it gets...

453747.png

Archived