LegacyGT.com

Synthetic oil question?

I'm about to do my 2nd oil change since switching over to synthetic (redline 5w-30) and just had a question about the change interval.

I know that i can go up to 7-7.5k miles between changes on it (when i do it this weekend it's going to be just under 6k miles) but what about the month time-interval. On conventional oil its 3months/3,000 miles, but what is the month-interval for synthetic.

The reason i ask is because i'm keeping detailed records everytime i do an oil change in case there's any reason, knock on wood, that something bad happens and my warranty is in question because i change my own oil.

It's not 3 months/3000 miles on conventional. That was old school conventionals, that have become far better in modern times.

Just figure if it's been in a year, it's time to change no matter what. Synthetic or conventional.

It's not 3 months/3000 miles on conventional. That was old school conventionals, that have become far better in modern times.

Just figure if it's been in a year, it's time to change no matter what. Synthetic or conventional.

a year? what?

There is no "timing" condition to the durability of oil. It will start to degrade over time, but it's extremely dependant on ambient conditions.

3 months/3000 miles was the broad-based recommendation back in the olden days (seriously).

You don't need to time-limit your oil changes. I recommend one-year as an easy way to remember if you haven't exceeded a certain number of miles. But even then, people have shown oils lasting 2-3 years easily when under good ambient conditions.

For a broad recommendation (which is what you are looking for) run your oil to the mileage you are seeking (whatever number that is) or one year, whichever comes first.

Does that clear it up?

I'm about to do my 2nd oil change since switching over to synthetic (redline 5w-30) and just had a question about the change interval.

I know that i can go up to 7-7.5k miles between changes on it (when i do it this weekend it's going to be just under 6k miles) but what about the month time-interval. On conventional oil its 3months/3,000 miles, but what is the month-interval for synthetic.

The reason i ask is because i'm keeping detailed records everytime i do an oil change in case there's any reason, knock on wood, that something bad happens and my warranty is in question because i change my own oil.

do a search on these forums... this has been covered already... and our owners manual says 3700 miles... i change mine every 5-6 thousand... im running amsoil full synthetic 5w30... but then my motor doesnt burn oil like some of these other guys.... it all comes down to your oil... theres actually a tool that can tell you how much has changed in the oil.... if your oil is still clean and good after 5000 miles i dont see why u cant go to 6000... though i wouldnt recommend it.... like i said i change mine every 5-6k miles even though the oil i use says 25k miles or 1 year.. whichever comes first.... so i guess in the end it comes down to your setup... and lets just say anywhere from 3000-10000 miles... but oil levels should be checked every time u fill your gas....

There is no "timing" condition to the durability of oil. It will start to degrade over time, but it's extremely dependant on ambient conditions.

3 months/3000 miles was the broad-based recommendation back in the olden days (seriously).

You don't need to time-limit your oil changes. I recommend one-year as an easy way to remember if you haven't exceeded a certain number of miles. But even then, people have shown oils lasting 2-3 years easily when under good ambient conditions.

For a broad recommendation (which is what you are looking for) run your oil to the mileage you are seeking (whatever number that is) or one year, whichever comes first.

Does that clear it up?

ah alright, gotcha ;)

Archived