LegacyGT.com

Synthetic Oil vs Conventional Oil.

I know what the viscosity rating is for, but my question is, since the synthetic is thinner, do you need a heavier weight synthetic to make up for it?

It was just explained that syn oil is not thinner than dino, so obviously you don't. Reading comprehension... u needz it.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply
There were rumors when synthetic first hit the market that it wasn't good for cold starts and was excessively thick when cold but held up to heat better. If that was even true, it's been fixed long ago. I have never heard complaints of it acting thinner.

It was just explained that syn oil is not thinner than dino, so obviously you don't. Reading comprehension... u needz it.

If you want to split hairs, synthetic does supposedly flow better than dyno oil when cold, grades being the same.

:hide:

Not saying it's thinner!!!

[CENTER][B][I] Front Limited Slip Racing Differentials for the 5EAT now available for $1895 shipped, please inquire for details! [/I][/B][/CENTER]

Yeah...ok, just to complicate things:

Flow does not equal viscosity. They are two distinct characteristics.

For instance, cold jello might be the same viscosity as cold pancake batter. However, one flows, the other maintains it's shape.

I know this introduces an element which many people on here can't handle....but it is an important element. Two things termed 10w30 do not indicate they have the same flow under the same cirumstances.

Joe

Let's look at the rated viscosity of M1 5w30 syn and PP 10w30, just for fun.

M1 5w30

cSt @40*C - 64.8

cSt @100*C - 11.3

PP 10w30

cSt @40*C - 63.4

cSt @100*C - 10.5

As you can see, even though Pennzoil is a 10w oil, it's close to a 5w30, at least when compared to M1 5w30 syn. However, the "cold" vis is still measured at 40 deg. celsius. 10w WILL be thicker at cold, but it is not an issue as long as temps in your area don't dip significantly below zero *F.

M1's 10w30 is slightly thinner than PP 10w30

cSt @40*C - 62

cSt @100*C - 10.0

M1's 0w40 is already significantly thicker at 40*C

cSt @40*C - 78

cSt @100*C - 14.0

Not entirely sure why I'm posting this, but here it is nevertheless :D

Later edit: here is something that I don't entirely understand, and this is kinda off-topic. BMW has a somewhat specific list of oils that they "approve of" for use in their 1.6-litre Mini engine. On that list they have, amongst others, Valvoline SynPower 5w30 and Pennzoil Platinum 5w30 European formula, but not their "regular" 10w30. When looking at viscosities, Valvoline 5w30 is comparative to PP 10w30 which is not on the list. It's something that I don't fully understand but I suspect it has something to do with the additive package related to the extended drain intervals of 15K miles or more as recommended by BMW, Mini and the on-board service system. It's not something I plan to adhere to, but made me curious nonetheless.

M1 0w40 is also on that list but that one I can easily see why (thicker oil, just like German Castrol 0w30)

Fish - The approved lists also come from what the manufacturers themselves put forth for testing against the standard. Those manufacturer approved lists don't test every oil from every manufacturer against their test.

Usually, a VW/BMW etc. approved oil will be a synthetic with a heavy dose of group IV basestock, have positive cold flow properties, have a higher TBN for longer drains, and be the choice oils for the extremes (i.e. -30 C starts and high RPM extended duration operation).

Alot of those european countries have cold, cold winters, after all :)

I used Motul 8100 5W40 for my first oil change at 1000 miles. Used it in my wifes 09 N/A at her second oil change at 7000 miles.
[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

Archived