LegacyGT.com

2.5i Spark Plug tutorial

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From what I remember I think it's possible to just use a 6" extension, I think I ended up doing that myself on the rear passenger side plug. You just can't snap the extension on the ratchet, you just put the tip of the ratchet into the 6" extension, if you snap the extension on it won't reach.

Also, on my car subaru lists the gap at .039"-.043". I'd shoot for the low end of that range since the gap could possibly get slightly bigger as the plugs get older and more worn. I think my oem subaru plugs came pregapped at .041" or so

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I finally got around on doing it. All set now. I had to follow OP's instruction to and lift the fuse box up around 90°. I used a short bungee cord to hold it by hooking it up to the wheel.

The front two definitely requires nothing but 6" extension. The driver rear, since I lifted the fuse box, I was able to slide it the 6" extension from right where the fuse would normally sit. The only one that requires combination of extension would be the passenger rear plug. I had to insert the spark plug socket and 3" extension, followed by another 3" extension.

I used by handy Craftsman torque wrench and tighten each plug to 15.5 ft/lb.

I took me around 3 hours to do everything. Probably 2+ hours for the plugs and the rest to take out and put back the air box, battery and fuse box. I got slowed down when replacing the plugs because I found traces of engine oil around the neck of the hole that leads to the plug. I had to carefully clean them up and also use a lot of paper towel to clean the cylinder from any traces of oil.

I hope the presence of oil there won't be a sign of bigger problem to come (i.e. head gasket). :(

The traces of oil as shown in the attached picture means your spark plug tube seals are leaking. I had the same problem, and ended up replacing the spark plug tube seals and valve cover gaskets. Subaru redesigned the spark plug tube seals, and I haven't had any problems with the new ones leaking. I posted some pictures of the tube seals in the link below

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/felpro-50561-vc-gasket-advance-auto-202755.html?t=202755

leakytubeseals.thumb.jpg.57c3244179fd019aa64c230d6444af44.jpg

^That's exactly what it was. :(

Thanks for the link to your thread, one sentence definitely stood out:

I regret doing this myself, and in hindsight I would've gladly paid the dealer $530 to do the job, keeping in mind $70 of that is for parts.

Yeah, I'll definitely not make any attempt to do this myself. The amount of oil wasn't that bad. I made sure I cleaned it up nicely before putting the new plugs in. I hope it won't get any worse in the next couple years or so.

I was thinking, maybe I should do this along with changing the timing belt and water pump. By making it a combo, probably will incur less labor charged by the local shop that specializes on Subaru. But, that's still 40,000 miles away. I just hit 60K miles on my 2005 2.5i 4 EAT.

^That's exactly what it was. :(

I was thinking, maybe I should do this along with changing the timing belt and water pump. By making it a combo, probably will incur less labor charged by the local shop that specializes on Subaru. But, that's still 40,000 miles away. I just hit 60K miles on my 2005 2.5i 4 EAT.

It can wait till then my tube seals were spotty around 40K and at 70K they were pretty much gone I replaced them just recently and never had a problem with premature spark plug failure.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Thanks for this tutorial.After I replaced my plugs, my rpm was dropping to 400-500 when coming to a halt or on an incline and the car would stall, or was about to, unless I gave it some gas. Replaced the cables as I thought I may have damaged them but the same problem occurred.

Finally, reset the ecu following this procedure found elsewhere-

1 Disconnect the battery negative

2. Pump brakes for 1 minute

3 Reconnect cable

4.Start up and let idle for 15 minutes ( no less) without touching the gas during the time

5. Took it for a drive and everything is back to normal

The car is a 2009 legacy 2.5i.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

Thanks for the great tutorial. Since I found this site a few weeks ago it seems that all I've been doing is putting tutorials like this to good use on my 08 Legacy! I plan on doing plugs and wires tomorrow, and have the NGK-FR5AP-11 plugs and a new NGK wire set.

My only question is if the NGK plugs are pre-gapped - Last time I used NGK plugs (toyota tacoma) the plugs were pregapped. Anyone know if the NGK plugs come .044 out of the box?

Thanks and thanks for all the great info!

I just measured 4 NGK FR5AP-11's I have on hand, and all four measured .040". I have no plans to regap them since the subaru factory service manual says to have a gap between .039"-.043".

Thanks!

I just measured 4 NGK FR5AP-11's I have on hand, and all four measured .040". I have no plans to regap them since the subaru factory service manual says to have a gap between .039"-.043".

Also, while I have the hood up - should I take the time to clean the throttle body with some seafoam (before I replace the plugs) and replace the PCV valve?

Here is a little more info on my Legacy - '08 2.5 Special Edition, MT, non-turbo. 120k miles - and no regular maintenance beyond oil changes up to this point - (was my wife's before we met). Just had the timing belt, water pump, and thermostat changed last week.

Opinions?

I would wipe the residue out of the TB if it is present and use carb or brake cleaner to clean the PCV if you find that it is sticking.

When get to the plugs if they are covered in oil dont panic but plan on a valve cover and tube seal replacement in the near future.

A buddy of mine asked me for help with his plugs, so I made him buy me one of these:

http://www.harborfreight.com/http-www-harborfreight-com-3-8-eighth-inch-drive-speed-socket-wrench-4432-html.html

You won't regret buying one

It's a 3/8" drive socket with a tee handle. The tee can spin the ratchet without having to swing the handle. AWESOME tool to have for this job, or anywhere space for a normal ratchet or wrench is tight.

$30 before coupon (never pay full price for anything @HF, coupons are everywhere). It saved so much time, that we had time to go play 9 holes afterwards! The road to the course is great for a test drive anyway (fast and curvy:))

First off, THANKS for the tutorial, with this, I was able to complete the whole thing in under 2 hours from start to finish.

Think it needed it? Yikes!!:eek:

Also, there was quite a bit of oil in every cylinder, especially #2 (see pic) - my question is, how much is too much?! Do I need to do a valve cover and tube seal replacement now? Or can it wait?

Thanks again for all the help with this!!

image.thumb.jpg.317b3f0ecefdc5a89e372e76b6a4032a.jpg

image-2.thumb.jpg.447bbf51b27c05c37263dc209b8458f0.jpg

image-1.thumb.jpg.719f89281ff37e7915f286f06852e15b.jpg

Wow, I've never seen a spark plug that worn. Do you know if the car was driving and idling ok with those old plugs? As far as spark plug tube seals go, to me it's one of those things you should do, but definitely don't have to do.

Wow, I've never seen a spark plug that worn. Do you know if the car was driving and idling ok with those old plugs? As far as spark plug tube seals go, to me it's one of those things you should do, but definitely don't have to do.

Yes, actually the car was driving and idling just fine. That was the worst of the 4, but they were all bad. She was getting about 24mpg according to the on board computer. The wires were just as bad, two of them basically fell apart in my hands.

Good thing you got those plugs changed, goes to show how little one can maintain the car and she'll still purr like a kitten!

I changed my plugs on my GT on both cars the same plug is an ASS HOLE lol that rear driver side :lol:

• 1 month later...

I just changed my plugs and wires at 122,000 miles.My check engine light came on and it was hesitating in first gear. I changed the plugs to an autolite .44 gap. Now the check engine is off but car almost stalls when taking off from a dead stop, or backing up. I know NGK come stock I wanted to save some money. Do I need to swap these plugs out for NGK to make it run like normal? We pushed in all the wires, we heard it click and if you tug on the wires they don't budge.

My car is a 2007 Subaru legacy 2.5i. Also not sure if it is a SOHC or DOHC. I tried looking it up by vin it didn't answer my question. Does it make a difference?

Tomorrow if I need to I will buy the NGK's.

Thank you for any help.

Did you disconnect either of the battery cables before replacing the spark plugs and wires? If so, stalling and almost stalling is completely normal. The car should slowly start to get better day by day, and be back to normal in 4-7 days, depending on how much driving you do. I've found that if I let the car sit, and idle for around 5-10 minutes after I reconnect the battery, this accelerates the process a bit. Basically the car/ecu has to relearn and perfect the air/fuel ratio at various rpm's.

You should be fine with the autolite plugs, and our non-turbo cars are SOHC, turbo's are DOHC.

Archived