LegacyGT.com

2.5i Spark Plug tutorial

I wanted NGK but would have had to wait for them and I needed them now. Went with the Autolite Iridium. I have 108k on the clock and I don't think anyone ever changed them. They were still burning clean but since I had them out, what the hell. Hopefully my HC ppm will go down now. It was kind of high I think at 160ppm.
BE committed to DO what it takes to HAVE more of what you want in your life!!!

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just replaced my plugs for the first time in my 2007 2.5i SE...(97,000 miles) I went with the stock NGKs. This job was a breeze compared to my old '99 LGT which was nearly impossible to get your hand between the heads and the frame. I saw the tutorial above but I only had to remove the air intake of the left and the A/C sensor plug on the right. Plenty of room using a 3" extension and a 1" connected to it.

Plugs were clean but two of them had the elements worn down pretty good. Purrs now, well, as much as a Subaru can...lol Wires were clean and showed no corrosion so I reused them.

So I saw this last friday and it made me go out and try it. Looks like the previous owner of the leggy never changed plugs, well the plugs were really badly burnt. So i was flying through it pretty easily and on the last plug, i tried to pull the wire out and when i did the inside of the wire stayed on the plug while the rest of it came out in my hand :(

went to schucks and asked if they had any wires in stock, no luck. turns out no one in a 50 mile radius had wires in stock so I ordered them through schucks, after being told they would arrive the next day(saturday).

I go pick up the wires on saturday, come home and try to install them when I notice, they're not the right wires, not even the right length, go back to schucks and they tell me that those are the ones the computer told them were right. and now im waiting to see when im going to be able to get the right set. Schucks says they will know price/shipping date on monday.

It is an easy DIY project, I would have finished in 45 minutes if it wasn't for that wire. :)

yea I gave them a piece of my mind. :) judging by the way you said it, I take it you've never heard of schucks? they're the same as a checker, kragen or O'reily auto parts.

It is an easy DIY project, I would have finished in 45 minutes if it wasn't for that wire. :)

yea I gave them a piece of my mind. :) judging by the way you said it, I take it you've never heard of schucks? they're the same as a checker, kragen or O'reily auto parts.

In SWVA there are only AutoZone Advanced Autoparts NAPA and Federated :lol:

you can also buy new wires from rallitek, which is what I am using

if nothing else works I will end up doing this.

so what schucks is telling me is that my car may have an 05 motor in it, because it was built in late 05. But the title of the car says 06.

How can I tell whether my car has 06 or 05 components?

If my car does have 05 parts, does that mean I can bolt-on UEL headers?

so what schucks is telling me is that my car may have an 05 motor in it, because it was built in late 05. But the title of the car says 06.

I didn't think that the wires would change between years, since its still an ej253. But if it looks like this you can bolt on.

The wires are the same from 05 forward i swapped out some 09 Impreza 2.5i Wires for the Rallitek ones and that year range 05+ still fits. The difference btwn 05 and 06 would water pump, exht manifold, internals not wires.

No wonder we have never heard of shucks here in shadetree mechanic land LOL :lol:

The wires are the same from 05 forward i swapped out some 09 Impreza 2.5i Wires for the Rallitek ones and that year range 05+ still fits. The difference btwn 05 and 06 would water pump, exht manifold, internals not wires.

No wonder we have never heard of shucks here in shadetree mechanic land LOL :lol:

I ordered spark plug wires for an 05 through this "schucks place" lol yesterday, they arrived today, and I installed them no problems and they work fine. So you say that 05-09 wires are the same but schucks had different part numbers for 05 than for 06-09. However i believe you more:lol: they probly have it wrong.

Yeah the 2005 EJ253 changed internally from the 06+ hence the 5whp gain btwn those years but the ignition system still remains the same i.e. same voltage, spark length and impedance thresholds not to mention same plug boots.

Point being you got the job done Aw Shucks! :lol:

Please rate my thread so they will sticky :)

• 1 month later...

can anyone confirl that this is the correct part number for V powers?

BKR5E-11

it says it only goes up to 2006 2.5i but im assuming its all the same as the platnums you listed say they are only good for 2005 and you have an 08. just need confirmation that all..

ah, i did not notice that, I have heard around here that people have used v-power plugs, dose anyone have a partnumber for the ej253? I love these plugs even in boosted applications i have had better results then iridium or platnum. not trying to say they are better, just stating a personal opinion in case some one askes why im so set on these plugs..

any info would be great!

ah, i did not notice that, I have heard around here that people have used v-power plugs, dose anyone have a partnumber for the ej253? I love these plugs even in boosted applications i have had better results then iridium or platnum. not trying to say they are better, just stating a personal opinion in case some one askes why im so set on these plugs..

any info would be great!

4 NGK FR5AP-11 Double Platinum Spark Plugs or which ever plug you decide to use

Nubbie (my first Subaru) question here...what is Extra-S fluid?

Subaru Extra s is differential fluid for Manual Subaru transmissions it is good stuff costly. However I switch to Super Tech 75w-90 fluid 20K miles ago and it works wayyy better in my 2008 Legacy ( Yes SUPER TECH ) :)

Archived