LegacyGT.com

2.5i Spark Plug tutorial

If it's the case I'll go and buy 2 x 3" extensions. I'd rather be prepared than be left cursing and having to put the car back together halfway to go to the shops! Thanks.

I would recommend just buying an assortment -- I got a 4-pk of various sizes for around $12USD when I was doing my plugs. I bet I used every one of them by the time I was done! ;) Oh, and a universal joint would be handy too!

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Thanks Gee-Otto for the walkthrough, it is most helpful as I was originally reading the guide for the LGTs and thought damn what a PITA! Luckily for the 2.5i it is a lot more straightforward. Before I get started, can you advise if having only a 6" extension is going to be a problem?

You explain that the rear pass. side is really tight, that the ratchet is against the ABS bracket when tightening up. In that case am I going to find it impossible to thread *just* the plug, socket, and 6" extension into the engine even before I fit the ratchet?

If it's the case I'll go and buy 2 x 3" extensions. I'd rather be prepared than be left cursing and having to put the car back together halfway to go to the shops! Thanks.

Yeah just a 6' alone wont be very helpful in those tight spots. I would get a combo pack if you can find one they are cheap and have several lengths. The rear pass side is the most tricky to get out I would try to thread the plug in with two 3" extensions then the ratchet or use a universal joint to get a good angle. Overall tho if you have the right extensions you wont have a problem

Thanks guys I have gone out and bought 2 x 3" extensions. Coupled with a 6" extension and the ratchet which has an adjustable angle head I'm good to go :) . By doing the plugs myself I have spent less in tools as I would have been charged in labor.

Thanks guys I have gone out and bought 2 x 3" extensions. Coupled with a 6" extension and the ratchet which has an adjustable angle head I'm good to go :) . By doing the plugs myself I have spent less in tools as I would have been charged in labor.

I got quoted the other day at the dealer $375 for installation of my $230 SPT STS:confused:. Of course I will install that myself but I needed a laugh after a long work week :lol:

OK finally the weather was good enough today to do the plugs! The walkthrough came in heaps useful, although I have made the following observations:

1. Removing the pop-it and bending the washer bottle neck out of the way was not necessary.

2. I removed the fusebox bolts (3) and swivelled it out of the way, but even with it in its original location there is still enough room to change the rear plug, so I will skip this step in future.

3. Did not need to remove breather hose on passenger side; plenty of space again.

Front driver's side plug easily removed using 6" and 3" extension.

Rear driver's side easily removed using 2 x 3" extension + ratchet with flexible head.

Front pass. side easily removed using 6" and 3" extension.

Rear pass. side tight fit using 2 x 3" extension + ratchet with flexible head.

If I was to try to do it using only a 6" it would NOT be possible!

Stock plugs in mine (NGK BKR6E-11 copper nickel type), had a fair bit of residue on them. Interestingly NGK's website specifies a "5" rating spark plug (hotter), so I ended up buying the BKR5EIX-11 Iridium IX which should also solve the problem of my plugs not burning off deposits properly.

Seat of pants reaction is the engine is now much more willing to rev! Doubt it is that much to do with Iridium, but moreso with having fresh plugs. Next change is due in 30,000Miles/50,000Kms :)

Seems like everyone is doing maintenance on their cars lately.

I just finished my 45k service on mine (oil filter, rotate tires, change differential fluids) and got lucky as a nail did not go all the way through in puncturing my tire. All that is left is to do an alignment at work. Looking to get another 10-15k out of the original tires.

[SIZE=1][URL="http://public.fotki.com/blackfang/"]Pics[/URL] [B]08 KawasakiZZR 600- exhaust and other mods 98 Camaro Z/28 HT- some mods......street/strip car 07 Legacy 2.5i- SPT exhaust...daily driver[/B][/SIZE]

OK finally the weather was good enough today to do the plugs! The walkthrough came in heaps useful, although I have made the following observations:

1. Removing the pop-it and bending the washer bottle neck out of the way was not necessary.

2. I removed the fusebox bolts (3) and swivelled it out of the way, but even with it in its original location there is still enough room to change the rear plug, so I will skip this step in future.

3. Did not need to remove breather hose on passenger side; plenty of space again.

Front driver's side plug easily removed using 6" and 3" extension.

Rear driver's side easily removed using 2 x 3" extension + ratchet with flexible head.

Front pass. side easily removed using 6" and 3" extension.

Rear pass. side tight fit using 2 x 3" extension + ratchet with flexible head.

If I was to try to do it using only a 6" it would NOT be possible!

Stock plugs in mine (NGK BKR6E-11 copper nickel type), had a fair bit of residue on them. Interestingly NGK's website specifies a "5" rating spark plug (hotter), so I ended up buying the BKR5EIX-11 Iridium IX which should also solve the problem of my plugs not burning off deposits properly.

Seat of pants reaction is the engine is now much more willing to rev! Doubt it is that much to do with Iridium, but moreso with having fresh plugs. Next change is due in 30,000Miles/50,000Kms :)

Nice yeah next time around I may swap in Iridium plugs

All walkthroughs will be for a 2008 Legacy 2.5i. 60K is a long time on plugs especially if you always run 87 :eek: I have only ever ran high test 93 octane in my legacy. You car will run fine up to 60IK on plugs but I wouldn't expect it to be a performer and you may take a cut in fuel mileage. I just wanted to show ppl that may have reservations about self maintenance that IT is possible and you learn a few things in the process and save $$$$$$$ because the dealer WILL hit you in the wallet for this maintenance.

hahah I run only 87 in the 2.5i, get good MPG. I run only 93 when I had my tuned STi. The 2.5I leggy gets simple stuff.

Excellent write up.

My hands are just the right size to do plugs on a horizontally opposed engine, perhaps I should make a career of it.

If anyone is interested in an alternative plug, I recently got platinum Champions as they are cheaper than NGKs and Subaru reccomends them. My NGKs fowled after 30k miles. At 112k miles, the engine in my '99 is running better than my first LGT did, which I got with 24k miles on the ticker.

Really.

WOW and Im not being negative :) My dealer said neer use anything but NGK but maybe that was the dealer talking :confused: Good you could provide a confirmed alternative to the more expensive NGK plugs for others to knows

WOW and Im not being negative :) My dealer said neer use anything but NGK but maybe that was the dealer talking :confused: Good you could provide a confirmed alternative to the more expensive NGK plugs for others to knows

Yeah, my dealer told me the same thing, but like I said, the plugs fowled so rather than spending $10 a plug, I spent $3. I must say I was skeptical at first, but the car feels peppier and my Hwy fuel economy went from 32 MPG to 34 MPG.

Yeah, my dealer told me the same thing, but like I said, the plugs fowled so rather than spending $10 a plug, I spent $3. I must say I was skeptical at first, but the car feels peppier and my Hwy fuel economy went from 32 MPG to 34 MPG.

Those motorboating sons of bitches :lol: Well i may take your advice and if it doesn't work I've only wasted the equivalent of one NGk plug :cool:

Champion= junk for Subaru's. I can't count how many times they things have fouled, or had carbon tracks on them, or just ran like crap before they needed to be changed.
[SIZE=1][URL="http://public.fotki.com/blackfang/"]Pics[/URL] [B]08 KawasakiZZR 600- exhaust and other mods 98 Camaro Z/28 HT- some mods......street/strip car 07 Legacy 2.5i- SPT exhaust...daily driver[/B][/SIZE]

Yes, you just described my NGK platinum plugs. Might as well save the money.

I have described the hundreds of champions we see on Subaru's. We have had great results with NGK (maybe that is why SOA went with them;) )

I think my Australian delivered model came with Champions from the factory.

Well that is what the replacement plug is listed as in the owner's handbook. When I went to change my plugs there were NGK copper nickels in there, most likely from when they were first changed at 15,000Miles/25,000Kms by the previous owner.

The car was always serviced by Subaru during previous ownership. I think the moral is that the NGKs are widely accepted to be more compatible with our cars.

SOA reccomends Champions as an alternative.

The vehicles now come with NGK unlike before when they used Champions but switched.

The older ones(pre -03) had Champion RC10YC4 in them. I know the forester and legacy had those.

• 8 months later...

Archived