LegacyGT.com

2.5i Spark Plug tutorial

alright so I successfully changed my plugs yesterday. I noticed on my 06, the black ground wire is fastened to the fuse box, and it was impossible to get off, so i just slide the wire around a bit for some more room.

When i removed the ignition wires on the passenger side, there was quite a bit of oil around that outer ring of the spark plug hole, but no oil on the plugs. The driver side plug holes had no oil at all. Does this mean the passenger side valve cover gaskets are leaking?

I do have some oil collecting on the bottom of my block on the passenger side also, hmm. It seems like the valve cover gaskets are pretty simple, if this is the case.

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have been searching around the internet and the forums and am having trouble finding the replacement wires between the ignition coils and boots. Does anyone have any ideas on where to purchase?

Thanks and sorry if this is not the right place for the post.

I have been searching around the internet and the forums and am having trouble finding the replacement wires between the ignition coils and boots. Does anyone have any ideas on where to purchase?

Thanks and sorry if this is not the right place for the post.

If your wires are bad you can pick up replacements from http://www.rockauto.com if you cant find them for a Legacy 2.5i look for a Impreza or Forester or OutBack we all have the same wire specs for the EJ253. no need for expensive "performance" wires either ;)

Oh and you can always go to the dealer for a set :(

• 4 weeks later...

so i have done a ton of reaserch on these plugs and found out this is the correct V power plug. if anyone is interested this is the v power plug for the 2.5i

http://sparkplugs.com/results_cross.asp?pid=BKR5E-11&x=51&y=6

not sure why it does not list it when you search by car, but im almost 100% positive this is the correct one. the race mart plugs are the correct ones as well but the part number is wrong.

• 1 month later...

I should add... after 60k the plugs were still in great condition. The gap was still right on, there was obviously some slight wear. The 30k suggested in the manual is complete and utter overkill.

For anyone with a 2.5i, don't bother at 30k it's a waste of time. The platinum plugs are designed for 60 and can easily go longer than that.

I should add... after 60k the plugs were still in great condition. The gap was still right on, there was obviously some slight wear. The 30k suggested in the manual is complete and utter overkill.

For anyone with a 2.5i, don't bother at 30k it's a waste of time. The platinum plugs are designed for 60 and can easily go longer than that.

Speak for yourself :eek: and your particular EJ253 different engines, people, driving habits etc change plug life. I swap at 30k b/c I do all my maintenance ahead of schedule b/c i love my car and I want to minimize the change of mechanical failure.

• 3 weeks later...
Speak for yourself :eek: and your particular EJ253 different engines, people, driving habits etc change plug life. I swap at 30k b/c I do all my maintenance ahead of schedule b/c i love my car and I want to minimize the change of mechanical failure.

If you're doing the plugs or any of the other maintenance procedures yourself it's also not a big deal. But for the poor schmo paying dealer prices for maintenance, you are wasting an aweful lot of money by performing a lot of the suggested tasks at or ahead of schedule.

Dealers love time/usage based maintenance programs. For certain things (highly predictable) like engine oil, the schedules are designed well. For most things? Overkill. Plan and Simple. I drive my car fairly hard, and in the northeast we see all extremes of weather, hot and cold. Not to mention the salt.

My point about the plugs was a suggestion, just like yours, and just like the recommended maintenance. Believe it or not, it's also a suggestion. I changed my plugs at 60k, I also love my car and want to minimize failure. It's all about drawing the line at the right place.

Do you replace your cabin air filter every other oil change too?

Nice How-to. Thanks.

Been doing my own for years, but nice to see what you went thru to prepare myself and pick up pointers on areas that may have given you trouble. Helps me avoid falling into the same dilemma.

Thanks Gee

And fellas...each to his own...change 'em when you feel is the right time. No need to poke the bear here...

This site is an amazing place. There is more help here than many will find anywhere on the web. Let's not turn it into a pissing match...

• 3 weeks later...
Changed the plugs on mine tonight, took about an hour, thanks for the DIY! 2 of the plugs were badly worn, the other two looked fine, 110,000kms on the car. I'll be watching for the diff fluid swap DIY as that's next on my list of maintenance stuff to knock off.

Changed the plugs on mine tonight, took about an hour, thanks for the DIY! 2 of the plugs were badly worn, the other two looked fine, 110,000kms on the car. I'll be watching for the diff fluid swap DIY as that's next on my list of maintenance stuff to knock off.

Check it out bro:

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2-5i-5mt-front-differential-fluid-change-tutorial-143891.html?t=143891&highlight=Diff+fluid:)

• 6 months later...

Thanks for the good info. It is a self explanatory job but nice to have some recon like this.

I did everything w a 6" extension. Only removed battery for driver's side. Removed snorkel and half of the air box for passenger side.

Everything went smoothly. Fired up and runs well. No misfiring cylinders. Will keep an eye on increasing MPG after 48K on original plugs.

While I had things opened up I put in new headlights, replacing the damaged originals.

Just read the whole DIY, thanks! Did anybody check the gap of the plugs? If so what is the correct gap? I just got my 4 NGK from the dealership and need to change them soon.

Thanks,

X

---

• 2 weeks later...

I changed mine at 67k this past weekend. One was burned more thatn the other three. The driver's side back one. I also saw oil leaking on the passenger side in the plug opening. I guess Iw il lneed to change the valve cover gasket at some point. I know I saw a thread about that somehere here not long ago.

In al lit took about an hour to change them. Not bad. I also checked the gap on all and set it to .044 They were a little off.

X

---

I changed mine at 67k this past weekend. One was burned more thatn the other three. The driver's side back one. I also saw oil leaking on the passenger side in the plug opening. I guess Iw il lneed to change the valve cover gasket at some point. I know I saw a thread about that somehere here not long ago.

In al lit took about an hour to change them. Not bad. I also checked the gap on all and set it to .044 They were a little off.

X

Buy oEM gaskets. The Feloro gaskets do not fit... Found out the hard way!

Current: 16 Crosstrek Premium w/ Eyesight & 05 Outback XT 5MT

Past Subies: 14 FXT Premium, 14 WRX hatch, 06 Legacy 2.5i SE 5MT, 98 Outback wagon

Archived