LegacyGT.com

2.5i Spark Plug tutorial

Thanks for the tutorial. I didn't really follow it because I saw it after I replaced my spark plugs. I bought NGK BRK5EIX-11 Iridium plugs. I installed them in an hour with a buddy. Car started right up with check engine light on. However, my intake wasn't completely connected so could I have screwed up my MAF sensor? We cleared the check engine and turned the car off. Starting it back on was trouble but it turned on. No check engine light. We took the plugs out again and cleaned them. I do have oil in the boots. I will be replacing the tube seals and valve covers soon. But now when I'm in drive the rpm's drop to around 400, it almost stalls out. When in park it idles at 800-900rpm's. What do I do??

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Sounds like you might have had the same problem I had recently that I mention here http://legacygt.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4901539&postcount=15. Did you disconnect the battery at all? What was the check engine light code? I would try resetting the ecu. Our cars drive funny after you reset the ecu so the problem won't be fixed instantly, but it's a start. And when you say the intake wasn't completely connected, was the maf sensor plugged in?

Thanks for the tutorial. I didn't really follow it because I saw it after I replaced my spark plugs. I bought NGK BRK5EIX-11 Iridium plugs. I installed them in an hour with a buddy. Car started right up with check engine light on. However, my intake wasn't completely connected so could I have screwed up my MAF sensor? We cleared the check engine and turned the car off. Starting it back on was trouble but it turned on. No check engine light. We took the plugs out again and cleaned them. I do have oil in the boots. I will be replacing the tube seals and valve covers soon. But now when I'm in drive the rpm's drop to around 400, it almost stalls out. When in park it idles at 800-900rpm's. What do I do??

The low RPMS are due to the ECU reset so no problem there it will improve over the next few miles as it learns.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...
Great article. I used a 3" extension with an swivel. It was the perfect depth for all plugs. Only had to remove the air cleaner stuff on the passenger side. I never touched anything on the battery side to eliminate the computer reset.

Archived