LegacyGT.com

Running Mobil One 15w50 in my LGT - Just because I felt like it

Hey all,

On saturday morning I drained out my Rotella 5w40 synthetic (3700 miles and not a drop burned, woohoo) and put in 4.5 quarts of Mobil One 15w50 synthetic.

It was $22 for 5 quarts and our Legacy can handle it, so I figured I'd give it a try. Plus I was just dying to start another oil thread so I could piss in Rao's cheerios :) (nothing but love Rao! Besides, there haven't been enough oil threads which mean I haven't seen enough of you recently)

Anyway, I'll be running it through August and into September and will do an oil analysis to show any pertinent results.

Since I'll probably get the inevitable question of "Does it run any different" I'll say that it fires up instantly and exactly the same as 5w40, it sounds the same as 5w40, it probably revs a little smoother and a little slower (parasitic drag), and the car seems a bit happier at WOT and 5000 rpms. But who the heck knows. Feels fine though :)

I am running a stock LGT with no modifications and the normal ambient temperature right now is ranging from 70-90 degrees with strong humidity.

Joe

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd hate to enter into a gunfight with Rao. He'd have three shots off before I batted an eye.

:)

I'll run a Straight Weight 30 next and call it a day....ehehe...

Rao - Did you hear bad things about Mobil One, Mobil One 5w30, Mobil One 5w30 EP, Mobil One 5w30 AFE.....?

Joe

I have read bad things about Mobil 1

And most of that reading was done right here.

Your owners manual says you can run that heavier weight oil under extreme conditions and higher temperatures. I have been running 15-50 Mobil 1 between June and September for the past five years without issues. I wouldn't use a heavier oil in cold weather, but when it's 80-90 degrees outside, your engine is cooking.

Wish I had an oil temp gauge....

Yeah, after reading that the engine can use 20w50 or straight 30, 40, or 50 weights during extreme use, I kinda figured that summer time and the good flow properties of M1 15w50 would work great....I wanted to give it a feel while stock, during summer time, and while I'm still doing a few UOAs for the fun of it.

I gotta say one thing though: pour 15w50 at 70 degrees fahrenheit into the oil filter and watch how slowly it absorbs for the first time. Holy moly. :)

Read that guy's oil diatribe (not from this forum; I think Ferrari, but he knows his oil) and you'll find that all you gain by increasing the first number is more engine wear at cold startup. At normal operating temp it's exactly the same viscosity as any other Xw-50.

Read that guy's oil diatribe (not from this forum; I think Ferrari, but he knows his oil) and you'll find that all you gain by increasing the first number is more engine wear at cold startup. At normal operating temp it's exactly the same viscosity as any other Xw-50.

Aehaas is a smart guy. He recently posted a UOA of his ferrari running a renewable lube 0w30 for 1400 miles and he made sure to double-flush the oil beforehand. He's got more money than....well, than anyone I know personally :). But he's not an oil tribologist or lubrication engineer....he's a smart guy with a lot of automotive toys and alot of time on his hands, and a penchant for explaining oil technology is easier-to-understand terms.

And he's a big believer in running low viscosity oils in high revving engines. Great. That doesn't mean his recommendations are golden for every application.

Also, "you'll find that all you gain by increasing the first number is more engine wear at cold startup" is not true.

There are numerous benefits gained, and oil viscosity is not a linear progression as temperatures increase. For instance, some 5w30s are thicker than some 10w30s are 60 degrees fahrenheit, etc.

I'm doing this for fun, and I don't expect any accelerated wear. I have a baseline UOA running pennzoil platinum 5w30 to compare against, so I'll guess I'll find out :)

Joe

I heard used vegetable oil from Chinese restaurants works well!!
258k miles - Stock engine/minor suspension upgrades/original shocks/rear struts replaced at 222k/4 passenger side wheel bearings/3 clutches/1 radiator/3 turbos

No Amsoil Joe? :rolleyes: where's the LOVE:wub::lol::lol:

Running short intervals during warranty. I could run dino and be perfectly happy, but that's not me. AMSOIL is just too expensive for short runs, but I'm willing to throw away money on $4-5 a quart synthetic. Maybe one day I'll switch to AMSOIL....we'll see.

Btw, I ran SSO 0w30 in my 06 SI for 16,350 miles this last run. Still had a TBN of 2.8 and was within viscosity grade. It could've gone to 18-20k. Now I'm using the Pennzoil Platinum 5w30 I originally bought for my LGT. :)

I have read things about most oils, which is why I stopped using any in my engine :)

Rao,

I swear I was on a Civic forum and, when someone said "it's never too soon to change your oil", I started to type "That's right. I change mine everynight before I go to bed."

I then realized what you had done to me. I crawled under a boiling hot shower stream and rocked back and forth crying "I will not become Rao!".

damn you.

Joe

Running short intervals during warranty. I could run dino and be perfectly happy, but that's not me. AMSOIL is just too expensive for short runs, but I'm willing to throw away money on $4-5 a quart synthetic. Maybe one day I'll switch to AMSOIL....we'll see.

Btw, I ran SSO 0w30 in my 06 SI for 16,350 miles this last run. Still had a TBN of 2.8 and was within viscosity grade. It could've gone to 18-20k. Now I'm using the Pennzoil Platinum 5w30 I originally bought for my LGT. :)

I buy a year worth of oil & filters for the 3 cars I take care of. It work out to be $7.49 a qt. for 0w-30 Signature Series Oil. That go 15k OCI. Over 115k on stock motor (other then tune) & turbo. If I was doing short OCI, it would be Pennziol Platinum too.

Mike

Mileage:331487 Retired/Sold

Archived