LegacyGT.com

Good times with a BMW 335i ... (95% of americans shouldn't be allowed to drive this).

I think it's fing stupid that someone thinks that if you cut off horsepower to the idiots that it will make things safer.

HP+Immaturity+ego= BAD

not

HP+Old lady who drives like an old lady even with all the power+old= No big deal.

There is nothing wrong with people who aren't "trained" having 300+ hp. For all you know they just like the little rush of getting from 0-45mph and then "it's too much for them".

I frankly find the unaware, slow reaction time, no turn signal, overly defensive protecting follow every fing rule 39 year old woman in a toyota camry or 65 year old guy in a 17 second cadillac to be DANGEROUS.

HP is not an on and off switch. BMW did not design this car to behave like a Fox Body Mustang with a built 355 cleveland and a blower at the drag strip.

If you are not a stupid kid who thinks he's invincible and wants to pull some fast and furious shit, or the stupid parent that LET their 17 year old kid have a GT30r EVO VIII then there is nothing to worry about.

Risk factor:

Woman age 42

Car: Subaru Legacy Wagon

HP: 155hp

Driving style: Shes a flake, doesn't know what's around her or how to be swift in reaction to what may happen and she does the speed limit

GET OFF THE ROAD LADY!!!

Geeky male age 42

Car: BMW E60 M5

HP: 500hp

Driving style: Steps on it to get to the speed limit, is not Ken block but is aware of what's going on. He never goes to the track, and is far from a top notch driver but enjoys brisk acceleration.

NOBODY NOTICES HIM!!!

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The truth is, for straight up power and acceleration, if you think about it, last gen M3 is now uncomfortably close to the likes of V6 Accords, Altimas, Camrys. So the truth is grocery getters are packing a punch without being sports cars. However, big difference RWD vs FWD.

Legacy, you're kinda looking at it from a pretty narrow point. Take your lady behind 155hp and put her with 300. Then tell me it's the same thing. As a matter of fact that one first time she's at a light and knows she needs to be in the lane over, she will punch that sucker like she's in her Corolla. And it won't be pretty :D

The truth is, for straight up power and acceleration, if you think about it, last gen M3 is now uncomfortably close to the likes of V6 Accords, Altimas, Camrys. So the truth is grocery getters are packing a punch without being sports cars. However, big difference RWD vs FWD.

Legacy, you're kinda looking at it from a pretty narrow point. Take your lady behind 155hp and put her with 300. Then tell me it's the same thing. As a matter of fact that one first time she's at a light and knows she needs to be in the lane over, she will punch that sucker like she's in her Corolla. And it won't be pretty :D

Truth. I don't think people are saying that bad drivers don't exist regardless of how much HP. We are saying that these same bad drivers, when given more HP that they aren't used to can really be dangerous. Of course anyone with alot of HP can do stupid things but alot of HP in the hands of individuals who don't realize it... can be scary.

Most accidents happen below 30 MPH. HP figure dangers are being blown out of context. It's not that big of a deal. "Training" lol...

With the safety features of todays cars, traction control, stability control, ABS etc etc it is all off-set. There are older 250hp cars that are more dangerous then say a C63 AMG @ 451hp...

Hell I drove an E60 M5 6 Speed once, a rev up to 5k then dump didn't even so much as chirp the tires and a mash of the gas in 2nd going INTO a turn didn't even so much as chirp the tires. I drove a C63 like a bat out of hell in the rain and it behaved like it was on hot tarmac with sticky tires. This is an endless arguement.

Regulate who buys what? No, that is stupid and unfair for those who DO know how to drive. Plenty of people recieve formal "training" in all kinds of different things, and guess what... they are STILL retarded on the topic of what they where trained to know or whatever it is they had to perform.

/fread

...I don't think anyone is suggesting regulation

although I am in an area where a good chunk of 16 year old drivers are getting new/slightly used BMWs/Mercedes/Lexuses and driving them like idiots.

Hell I knew a girl in high school who crashed her brand new 325i, it was completely her fault, and her dad bought her a new 330ci

*sigh*

I want to be stupid rich

I have heard a theory that men end up being better drivers than women because all the stupid things they did when they were teenagers and early 20's gave them experience (assuming they did not kill themselves), while girls are not pressured to 'prove' themselves in the same way, so they do not get to learn high speed driving skills. 'If it doesn't kill me it makes me stronger'.... :spin:

True or not, I think it is beyond stupid to give some high school kid a 335 or some other fast car. Good God, why?

And even for someone experienced, a powerful rwd car with little weight in the back is so easy to fishtail, I almost lost it one time accelerating onto the interstate in a 5.0 Mustang I had, me having well over 20 years behind the wheel at the time. :spin:

I have heard a theory that men end up being better drivers than women because all the stupid things they did when they were teenagers and early 20's gave them experience (assuming they did not kill themselves), while girls are not pressured to 'prove' themselves in the same way, so they do not get to learn high speed driving skills. 'If it doesn't kill me it makes me stronger'...

Are men better drivers than women?

http://editorial.autos.msn.com/article.aspx?cp-documentid=788126

I would argue that they are at least safer and I feel that makes them better drivers.

^And to please you even further, I'll just go ahead and say it that a 335 running Mobil 1 is a catastrophe right there. The Spec.B would take it though, granted it did not have any soap on the intercooler to cause corrosion.

Did I cover it all?

Are men better drivers than women?

http://editorial.autos.msn.com/article.aspx?cp-documentid=788126

I would argue that they are at least safer and I feel that makes them better drivers.

Interesting statistics. Men are more aggressive and take more risks, to age 60 anyway. Thus the higher rate of fatal crashes. Rates above age 30 are pretty close tho.

Women have more lower-speed accidents. Seems to follow from stupid things that women seem to do more than men, such as blab on their cellphones,text or do their make-up while they oblivioiusly blast around in the 3 ton family Suburban, tots in back.

True or not, I think it is beyond stupid to give some high school kid a 335 or some other fast car. Good God, why?

:spin:

Wasn't there a thread here or on nabisco about a 16yo that daddy bought him a new M5 and he and his friends got killed trying to go top speed down a private runway?

We've had all sort of customers doing stupid things for their kids. Case in point we had a customer buy their son a brand new RS4 for a high school graduation gift.

Hp is like an on off switch, that's what the accelerator pedal is for isn't it?

RS4 for graduation gift? Holy crap!

There was a kid who went to our school, parents owned lines of laundry mats(yeah right) he got a NSX for his 16th b-day and some sort of vert ferrari right after graduation. Think it was a late 90s f355 spider

My graduation gift was a pat on the back from my dad and him telling me "I would have kicked your ass if you were to fail". Then they got in the car and drove home, but I had to walk in knee-deep snow, uphill.

my graduation gift from my parents was "stop complaining you're enrolling at the local university tomorrow."

then.. my uncle gave me my 57 belair for graduation.. said he wasn't using it and was hoping that I would.

yea.. I haven't really. :( Its 230 miles away.

"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." - Plato

I got um... a couple of $40 checks and a bunch of key chains from people for my highschool graduation... and then for college graduation I got nothing for one month and then my 2006 subaru Legacy GT.

up until I got the car, I was like "man, my family must hate me. I graduated from college and didn't get anything..."

Can someone confirm again how a 135i trumps a sweet Legacy GT Stage 2 goodness? I was hoping that it would at least be a fair fight with an up/down and EL header and Cobb Stage 2 flash. Have not dyno'ed my car with this setup, but I was at least optimistic that I could take a 135i on a good day.

You've crushed my dreams. I hope you're happy.

just put someone in the backseat thast larger than an infant.. and get beside him after he wins the race and laugh in his face.
"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." - Plato

Can someone confirm again how a 135i trumps a sweet Legacy GT Stage 2 goodness? I was hoping that it would at least be a fair fight with an up/down and EL header and Cobb Stage 2 flash. Have not dyno'ed my car with this setup, but I was at least optimistic that I could take a 135i on a good day.

Maybe if he's completely stock, and you get him from a dig.. Stock they're putting down similar power to most stage 2 lgt setups. With just a tune, they're making mid 300hp/tq at the wheels.

Archived