LegacyGT.com

Lets help Subaru redesign the Legacy (2012?)

• Replies 430
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So what you are saying is, as of 2010, you do not like the looks of any car Subaru makes. I think this is a reasonable statement but it also shows a problem with what Subaru is dealing with. The Gen 4 Legacy was designed in 2003; the Generation 2 Impreza was designed in 2001. I look at those cars and see 90s generic Japanese sedan styling (with more rounded sheetmetal).

One of the things that is going to make cars not look the same is the european pedestrian safety standards. This is making the hoods higher (and more generic, as I've read here). I was looking at a few cars against the Legacy, the 2010 Buick Lacrosse and Acura TL. Both cars have the same higher hood style.

No. There isn't a current subaru that I really like. I'd rather put money into my 17 year old SVX at this point.

Funny, but GR still has to meet pedestrian standards, and even that isn't as high as the new Legacy.

Plus, that is the benefit of having a FLAT engine. If a boxer-powered car has just as high of a hood and cowl as a transverse V6, there is something wrong.

If I were Subaru, here would be my 2012 Lineup

WRX - This needs to be the sports branding of Subaru. Not GT, or anything else.

Gotta stop you there. I don't want a WRX, but I am only interested in sporting Subarus. They need to be a little more diverse than just WRX.

New entry car priced @ 14000 with 2.0 engine, 2.5 normal as option.

Impreza 4dr/5dr

GT 4dr/5dr

WRX 4dr/5dr

STI 5dr

first, why two NA engines? If the upcoming 2.0 direct injection engine is all it is cracked up to be, it will be better than the 2.5 naturally aspirated.

Second, the bodystyle list is pretty much what they already have, and they are talking about a 4-door STI along side the 5-door. I think both the boring sedan, and the hunchback, er, I mean hatchback, both need a visual overhaul.

Coupe,hatchback car - based on Legacy luxury but unique name... say Subaru Watchman

2.5 normal Engine ~ i and premium trim: 21-24k

2.5 GT ~ premium and limited trim, 25-28k

WRX ~ i, premium and limited trim, 27-31k

STI ~ Limited trim, 37k - Key thing is this shares parts with Impreza STI and nothing else.

Watchman? wha??? Even if I bought such a car, I would never call it that. :D

The base engine will likely be the 2.0 Direct injection engine, BTW.

The GT and WRX are redundant, and the coupe would likely NOT get the WRX nameplate. 268-300hp H4 Turbo, with a choice of 5MT or a more robust than current 5EAT-sport shift gearbox, below the STI model is fine.

And as I said, if there is only going to be ONE Subaru coupe, it should offer something more than just a 2-door STI for 37k. GenCoupe is 7-10K cheaper than that, even loaded, and it has 3 different trims, for both drivetrains. G37 and 370Z pair, and even BMW 1 and 3 coupes would start to show-up a 37K STI coupe, without an H6 grand touring model along side it, even if the STI model itself is all business in the performance department. It needs to be more diverse than that, and offer grand touring appointments, if someone wants that. Not full lux, but more premium than econoboxy-derived STI interior and exterior appointments.

Legacy:

Tune 2.5 normal engine to 200 HP and fill up a little more space

Cancel 2.5 turbo

Tune 3.6 to 300 HP (or halfway between WRX and STI engine HP) and 3.9 - to become market leader in power

2.7 normal: i, premium, limited 21-26k

3.9: premium, limited, touring (touring has all japanese features, GPS and a 7 speed auto) 27-35k

That's how I would plan out the model line for 2012. Should the Legacy take off by then, I would place a car above the Legacy to directly challenge the TL, Avalon and Maxima (in size and price point).

They are likely to cancel the 2.5 GT anyway... but that, like the new Legacy's looks, is not the best decision they could make. The EZ36 H6 may be capable of 300hp, but the automatic gearbox reportedly isn't, which is why I mentioned a fortified version earlier. I wouldn't necessarily count on the new "budget" 6MT, either. Besides that, the EZ36 engine is already at the limits of it's internal capacity for displacement. It cannot be enlarged any further, without growing the engine block. They barely got 3.6 liters out of the block designed for 3 liters.

There isn't a lot of rumors for a 7 speed automatic, either, and just crowding more gears together just adds weight, complexity, and size. 5 more robust gears would be fine in an automatic gearbox.

A new line of H4s, based on the EZ-series (3.0R, and 3.6R) short cylinder pitch engines are reported to be coming, which could be the basis of the new, upcoming 2.0 Direct Injection engine that Subaru is working on with Toyota, for the upcoming coupe.

---------------------

Yes! And here is the latest version.

http://img268.imageshack.us/img268/8609/l14.jpg

Looks like someone put the lower air-dam from a new or upcoming VW on that pencil drawing. It really doesn't need to copy other brands' design marks.

This one's pretty good! I know my way around Photoshop, so if you'd like, I could give you a hand with them, or I myself could try out a few ideas of my own.

Yeah man, we'll have to play together (ah...work together) with some of the images....feel free to use the jpeg images, but I can also send you the Photoshop file if you want. I'm a self taught photoshopper, so I'm not the best, nor do I know exactly how to use all the right tools correctly. Most of my photoshop work is done for architecture reasons...cars are just for fun.

One of the things that is going to make cars not look the same is the european pedestrian safety standards. This is making the hoods higher (and more generic, as I've read here). I was looking at a few cars against the Legacy, the 2010 Buick Lacrosse and Acura TL. Both cars have the same higher hood style.

Does the BMW 3 Series meet those standards? How about the VW Passat or the new CC? All of those cars manage to have a sleek look with a nose that doesn't look too tall.

Here is one with gun metal wheels, darkened headlights, and I returned the wingless grill and added red in the center emblem/logo for fun.

http://www.onlinejason.net/auto/photoshop/Subaru_legacyGT_alterations_stage2extra.jpg

other then the imperfect photshopskills tis looks pretty darn good. i like this a lot more then what it is now

I think the mistake is in using this generation.

I'd work it this way;

1) Take the best looking LGT (08-09) and start with it. Make it a bit larger, certainly wider, and give it just a few design elements that the so called "masses" are asking for so when finished it satisfies us and 'maybe' Subaru.

2) Afterward take the results and blend them with the current Gen.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/vbpicgallery.php?do=view&g=1586"VbGallery/URL]

^ the left headlight looks pretty good. Reminds me of a 3 series BMW, though. Although the car is just too big for tiny headlights like that. You gotta fix the right one, too ;)

I think the best thing is to take the 2009 Legacy GT and work from there, instead of using the failure that is the 2010 design.

If you don't vote Trump, out, you're a bigot who hates america.

I don't mind the window frames, just wish they were outlined in black instead of chrome.

btw, just saw a Lexus IS convertible ad on tv - that ain't a bad looking car! The front end of that looks nice - sleek and well proportioned unlike the new Legacy. Proves that Toyota can design a decent looking car when it wants to!

Also, do they have a nice basic 5 spoke wheel available, like on my 2007 Legacy? Those many spoke wheels are not sporty looking - definitely contributes to the old person's car feel of the new Legacy.

RX8 suffers because of that.

It seems like a good idea at first blush... but it ends up in limbo, between compact and practical.

I had a truck with such doors... and it was ok, but in close parking spaces, it always trapped you between the open doors, and the rear doors are dependent on the front doors being open.

Frankly, the RX8 should be a sleek sedan. The C-pillar and rear glass are awkward as they are.

If the RX8 were a real 4-door, perhaps barely bigger than it currently is, with 4 seats, and a rear hatchback, rather than fixed glass, and a small trunk, it could actually be more useable than it currently is, without being much bigger, much heavier, or less sporty... RX8 should then be joined by RX9 or a new FE-generation RX7, as the honest coupe format.

If they REALLY wanted to go, they should offer it as RX and MX. Rotary or piston engines... Direct injected I4s and V6s... with or without turbos. (they already have a DISI turbo I4, and the engine line is related to the Duratech/EcoBoost anyway...) Or the new 16x Rotary.

-------------

Heaven forbid Subaru try to compete, or beat Mazda to market with such a sleek sport sedan and sport coupe pair, with boxer power, and AWD.

The pencil drawings of the Legacy, as well as the pencil drawing of the coupe, would make a good mid-size Subaru pair-up.

Now that Subaru is out of WRC... the Impreza isn't as as bound to that.

They could either lower impreza to economy only, more like Fit/Yaris, and take Legacy/Outback toward full-size non-sporty, and socket the sport sedan/coupe pair between the two, with a new name... or do shuffling with the impreza/wrx names, and put a sub-compact economy car below Impreza.

STI is an inside tuning-arm, it can apply to any nameplate, if Subaru wants it to.

Subaru should be a three line company.

Sub compact economy (Justy, maybe shift impreza name here), compete with Fit/Yaris. 1.5 or 2.0 DI engines, CVT, if they feel the need for it.

smallish-midsize, sporty line. 5-door sleek Sport sedan and coupe (like pencil drawings shown, or better), perhaps as a complete stem to stern re-body on the GR-chassis floorplan. Thus Forester would be related to that chassis, with tall suspension, and SUV and SUT body styles. 2.0DI, 2.5 turbo DI, and H6 DI engines, 6MT and 5EAT-SS gearboxes, VTD AWD, limited slip diffs. sport and grand touring models get bilsteins, and either Subaru monoblocs, or Brembos. 5x114.3 wheels with less than 55mm offset.

New name for NA H4 sedan, if impreza goes to sub-compact.

WRX = Turbo H4 sedan.

SVX = all H4 coupes. Base H4 NA, Sport package with H4 Turbo.

New name GT, SVX GT = full option H6 grand touring models of sedan and coupe.

Forester = SUV (mostly as is, with updated drivetrain)

new outdoorsy name = SUT variant of Forester. XT = Turbo limited edition. Limited or LL Bean, or something for H6 equipped SUV and SUT.

large mid-size to full size line, if Subaru wants to take Legacy, and Outback that direction.

Legacy being full 5-passenger sedan, if wagon is unfortunately still out of the equation in the US. Outback tall suspension wagon, of course. It should also continue to offer a 7-passenger, standard suspension but high roof CUV for highway people-hauling. Revised Tribeca. Not as sporty of a lineup, more mainstream. H4 economy model, and wide use of H6 drivetrains. CVT efficiency models, 5EAT otherwise.

If Subaru wants to go mainstream, then do it right. And make it actually look good. Heck, the 08+ facelifted Tribeca looks better than the '10 Legacy and Outback. Smoother, and less chunky, despite it's inherent CUV shape.

RX8 suffers because of that.

It seems like a good idea at first blush... but it ends up in limbo, between compact and practical.

I had a truck with such doors... and it was ok, but in close parking spaces, it always trapped you between the open doors, and the rear doors are dependent on the front doors being open.

Frankly, the RX8 should be a sleek sedan. The C-pillar and rear glass are awkward as they are.

If the RX8 were a real 4-door, perhaps barely bigger than it currently is, with 4 seats, and a rear hatchback, rather than fixed glass, and a small trunk, it could actually be more useable than it currently is, without being much bigger, much heavier, or less sporty... RX8 should then be joined by RX9 or a new FE-generation RX7, as the honest coupe format.

If they REALLY wanted to go, they should offer it as RX and MX. Rotary or piston engines... Direct injected I4s and V6s... with or without turbos. (they already have a DISI turbo I4, and the engine line is related to the Duratech/EcoBoost anyway...) Or the new 16x Rotary.

-------------

Heaven forbid Subaru try to compete, or beat Mazda to market with such a sleek sport sedan and sport coupe pair, with boxer power, and AWD.

The pencil drawings of the Legacy, as well as the pencil drawing of the coupe, would make a good mid-size Subaru pair-up.

Now that Subaru is out of WRC... the Impreza isn't as as bound to that.

They could either lower impreza to economy only, more like Fit/Yaris, and take Legacy/Outback toward full-size non-sporty, and socket the sport sedan/coupe pair between the two, with a new name... or do shuffling with the impreza/wrx names, and put a sub-compact economy car below Impreza.

STI is an inside tuning-arm, it can apply to any nameplate, if Subaru wants it to.

Subaru should be a three line company.

Sub compact economy (Justy, maybe shift impreza name here), compete with Fit/Yaris. 1.5 or 2.0 DI engines, CVT, if they feel the need for it.

smallish-midsize, sporty line. 5-door sleek Sport sedan and coupe (like pencil drawings shown, or better), perhaps as a complete stem to stern re-body on the GR-chassis floorplan. Thus Forester would be related to that chassis, with tall suspension, and SUV and SUT body styles. 2.0DI, 2.5 turbo DI, and H6 DI engines, 6MT and 5EAT-SS gearboxes, VTD AWD, limited slip diffs. sport and grand touring models get bilsteins, and either Subaru monoblocs, or Brembos. 5x114.3 wheels with less than 55mm offset.

New name for NA H4 sedan, if impreza goes to sub-compact.

WRX = Turbo H4 sedan.

SVX = all H4 coupes. Base H4 NA, Sport package with H4 Turbo.

New name GT, SVX GT = full option H6 grand touring models of sedan and coupe.

Forester = SUV (mostly as is, with updated drivetrain)

new outdoorsy name = SUT variant of Forester. XT = Turbo limited edition. Limited or LL Bean, or something for H6 equipped SUV and SUT.

large mid-size to full size line, if Subaru wants to take Legacy, and Outback that direction.

Legacy being full 5-passenger sedan, if wagon is unfortunately still out of the equation in the US. Outback tall suspension wagon, of course. It should also continue to offer a 7-passenger, standard suspension but high roof CUV for highway people-hauling. Revised Tribeca. Not as sporty of a lineup, more mainstream. H4 economy model, and wide use of H6 drivetrains. CVT efficiency models, 5EAT otherwise.

If Subaru wants to go mainstream, then do it right. And make it actually look good. Heck, the 08+ facelifted Tribeca looks better than the '10 Legacy and Outback. Smoother, and less chunky, despite it's inherent CUV shape.

I actually agree with all the RX8 commentary (having an 05 RX8 GT). Especially given the success of the CLS and CC, the 4 door coupe is a viable business model.

I slightly disagree with you that the Legacy is a full-sized sedan. The Ford Taurus is a full size sedan... the Legacy is Fusion sized. I don't actually think that at it's current sales (and sales distribution), subaru should introduce a full sized 30-40k sedan. I do think a lower engine option for the impreza may be good (even if at no cost discount) to make a strong play for the green crowd being picked off by hybrids.

The other thing I think Subaru should do is... look at the BMW 5 Series GT and 3 series GT... a pure play on sport wagons/hatch. There needs to be an outback STI styed on the same system. I'd also watch the honda crosstour/Toyota Venza carefully because if either outsells the outback, Subaru knows that their core customer wants AWD and their space will become more competitve soon.

Unfortunately (in the context of this board), I cancelled my Legacy preorder and decided to buy a 09 TL AWD Tech. Funny thing is, all that talk of decontenting came into play as I looked at my total 2010 Legacy cost with fogs, homelink and it got a little too close to the TL cost given how far they were being discounted

I actually agree with all the RX8 commentary (having an 05 RX8 GT). Especially given the success of the CLS and CC, the 4 door coupe is a viable business model.

I slightly disagree with you that the Legacy is a full-sized sedan. The Ford Taurus is a full size sedan... the Legacy is Fusion sized. I don't actually think that at it's current sales (and sales distribution), subaru should introduce a full sized 30-40k sedan. I do think a lower engine option for the impreza may be good (even if at no cost discount) to make a strong play for the green crowd being picked off by hybrids.

A smaller chassis car, with a 1.5 or 2.0 optional engine, cvt maybe, lightweight components, 4-bolt wheels, lightweight body, lighter duty brakes, even if it still has AWD... could be their answer to small car sales, like Fit and Yaris. It could especially go against the Suzuki SX4, which offers AWD in a small package. Subaru has a better reputation for that than Suzuki does, anyway. The efficiency car from Subaru would not need to be engineered for rallying, or be considered for optioning all the way up to STI grade. There essentially would be only one 5-door boxy-hatch bodystyle, and stem to stern be built to be respectable quality, but also light weight.

But I am suggesting that it either carry the Justy name, or that the name Impreza be dis-associated with the GR platform that it is currently on, and move to this efficiency model.

That would give an identity break for the GR chassis carry a new, more attractive, upscale body (ditch the current 5-door hunchback, ditch the boring 4-door sedan, make a good, sleek 5-door sedan, and 3-door coupe, with more standard and optional features, and a new base name, along with WRX for turbo models, and GT monikers for the H6 models, and resurrect the SVX or RS moniker for the coupes of that line. (better than GL or XT for a name...) Grand Touring, which is what GT stands for, is not the same thing as a sport model, anyway. H6 models with smooth, effortless cruise... that is grand touring. A turbocharged fire-breather is a RS, or WRX, or something that evokes more focused power with fewer comfort compromises.

Even Legacy has gotten it backwards for a few years, although it is common enough convention that people who know, get the point. The turbo Legacy should have been 2.5 Turbo S, or GS, or something. Grand Touring might be better suited to what the H6 Legacy does well.

Changing what the Impreza refers to would be a bit odd at first, but Impreza (separate from WRX or STI) is not associated with higher trim cars, but rather economy cars. Shifting that name to a REAL economy car, and letting the GR chassis fill nicer shoes, with a new, more sophisticated name, would become easy enough in a short time. Nobody thinks of an Outback as a trim-line of a Legacy anymore, either, and they are still pretty closely related.

----

The BL legacy may have been just a bit under Fusion sized... The new one is likely just over, and much taller. Taller than almost any car in it's class. Fusion is not that large. Mazda 6 that shares the platform seems larger.

I just figure, that if they really want to emphasize comfort in the Legacy, why not actually do it. The new Taurus is more than full size. It is REALLY full size. Like Crown Vic with FWD full size.

If Subaru is going to emphasize interior room and "road presence", then why not do it, and make it convincing. Why not make it a big car, if they want to appeal to big car buyers. As long as they don't leave a hole in the lineup where BL Legacy was, and move the GR platform to a vehicle that actually delivers, and leave the economy car duties to an even smaller, more efficient car. If all cars grow over model generations... it is time for the GR platform to step up in sophistication, as the Legacy steps up in size.

The other thing I think Subaru should do is... look at the BMW 5 Series GT and 3 series GT... a pure play on sport wagons/hatch. There needs to be an outback STI styed on the same system. I'd also watch the honda crosstour/Toyota Venza carefully because if either outsells the outback, Subaru knows that their core customer wants AWD and their space will become more competitve soon.

This is a mistake, IMHO. BMW is playing it wrong, and Acura/Honda is following right along with Crosstour. Venza is not convincing anyone that it is sportier than Camry, it just looks like a big 5-door wannabe wagon. Basically Toyota taking what Mazda did with the 3 5-door compared to 4-door, and what Subaru then copied with the current GR-chassis Impreza, and applying it to a mid-size platform. Venza is not quite a wagon, but certainly not a sedan. It is as tall as some CUVs, and nearly as blocky-looking.

It is too early to see how the BMW 5-GT, and the not-even-released-yet 3-GT, and CrossTour are going to do. I love the idea of a 5-door sedan. I like BMW's combination hatchback, which they took from Skoda, or someone else... But they are making the mistake of putting the 5 door on a bigger body than the 4 door, and thinking it is an alternative to a wagon.

A 5 door sedan should be a sleeker, more lithe and tailored option than a standard 4-door. Not a BIGGER behemoth. Audi's sporty 5-door variant of the A5 should be set to undercut the A6, not be an over-grown, lift-back alternative to A4... but they blur the lines so much, who can tell what the distinction between those two concepts are.

BMW's X6 is not setting the world on fire, I have a feeling it is a flash-in-the-pan of being something new, and wearing a fashionable badge, but the fact is, it is as big as a house. All the drawbacks of a CUV, like ponderous weight and size, without the benefit of even the slim cargo room, or rear seat headroom of the X5. Why bother with the sleek roofline on a car with that huge of a frontal area profile. Sleek and "barn-door" are not exactly compatible.

5-GT is a normalized X6. If 3-GT is going to be bigger than 3-series, it is probably where a sleeker 5-door car should be, in relation to 5-series... and I can understand a car like that set between the small 3-series, and the generous 5-series.

A 5-door sedan does not replace a touring wagon. Merely opening the back glass does not mean that it has the cargo volume of a more rectangular wagon shape. Therefore, they don't serve the same practical purpose, even if a 5-door sedan is more cargo-practical, slightly than a 4-door with a normal trunk.

It is usually sleeker, though, and aerodynamics befit a slightly smaller car, with sportier intentions. And less frontal area.

Unfortunately (in the context of this board), I cancelled my Legacy preorder and decided to buy a 09 TL AWD Tech. Funny thing is, all that talk of decontenting came into play as I looked at my total 2010 Legacy cost with fogs, homelink and it got a little too close to the TL cost given how far they were being discounted

It is a lesson Subaru needs to learn. You buy what is the best package for you. It doesn't matter if the decision is as close as an inch, or as far apart as a mile... the sale goes to who the sale goes to. Cutting corners isn't going to do Subaru any favors.

I would definitely agree with too tall. Sport sedans are not meant to be tall... But it may make it easier to build the Outback a little bit bigger and more into the small SUV that Subaru wants it to be. I wouldn't actually mind the car being a bit wider and longer though, as long as it doesn't infringe on full size sedan territory... But if it does infringe on full size sports sedan territory then I am kinda fine with it (as long as I can reach across the car and close the door on the opposite side, I am fine with a big car). I would still like the car to be shorter though, it doesn't need the head room of an SUV. I like the tail lights, they remind me of Lexus (which builds a very nice car) and look very, very modern. I would change the front headlights though, to that of what Uberlegacy has drawn up at work (that is a well finished drawing by the way).

The engine also needs to be powerful enough to move a large vehicle with some relative speed and acceleration though. So if Subaru isn't going to change the body based on their consumers taste in vehicle styling, then they should at least make their car a contender in terms of performance in that it should keep up with other cars of similar size in terms of handling, acceleration, and top speed.

In other words, by building this car is Subaru risking it's competitive edge in the market for automobiles? If they are, then they should probably change the vehicle so that it maintains competition in the market.

That looks a lot better than what they came up with

Glad you like it!

Been working on this lately. From this:

http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk164/Uberlegacy/Untitled-2copy2.jpg

To this:

http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk164/Uberlegacy/Untitled-2copy-1.jpg

SPEC.B JUST KICKED IN YO?

I actually went and got into the new outback at the dealership today and... I don't like any of it. I want to, I really do, but I don't...

I liked the window frames and that was it. I hated the shifter, the interior, the e-brake, and almost everything about the car... it needs a serious re-design.

Archived