LegacyGT.com

Official jdm conversion/aftermarket body thread

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks N.Sane. That was my thinking as well.

Does anyone know of any members that have this bumper?? I have some questions regarding the fog lights and how big a PITA they are to retrofit or if you have to have the JDM kit for them.

http://www.japanparts.com/images/ImageFromDB.php?base=1&no=11764

I saw that, but I have multiple email correspondences from JapanParts that the updated/face lifted SpecB bumper will fit the 05-07's no problem. Now I am concerned, because to make changes on the 08+ involves WAY too much work to make it a viable project.

Any members know whether or not the facelifted specB kit will fit an 07 like I was told?

Here is the link to the kit ( http://www.japanparts.com/db/partslist.php?KEYWORD=&dealer=1&car=141&middlesmall=2%3A11&maker=5&VOLKEY=107-048-001-S )

I saw that, but I have multiple email correspondences from JapanParts that the updated/face lifted SpecB bumper will fit the 05-07's no problem. Now I am concerned, because to make changes on the 08+ involves WAY too much work to make it a viable project.

Any members know whether or not the facelifted specB kit will fit an 07 like I was told?

Here is the link to the kit ( http://www.japanparts.com/db/partslist.php?KEYWORD=&dealer=1&car=141&middlesmall=2%3A11&maker=5&VOLKEY=107-048-001-S )

There is no way the Rev.D+ JDM Spec.B/S402 bumper will fit the USDM Rev.A-C (MY'05-'07) fenders and headlights. Just look at the intersection of the lower outer corner of the headlights, the fender and the bumper and you will see why they are not compatible.

Thanks for the rapid feedback guys. Looks like I just saved myself $3000 in parts/shipping...

Not sure why JapanParts was so certain they would fit, looking closer at the front lines they are clearly different as Underdog indicated. The pairing would have gaps everywhere.

As for the 3.0R bumper, for whatever reason that bumper is just not that appealing to me. I think it is the central lower intake, it just looks unfinished compared to the SpecB/S402. Thanks again.

Best,

C.H.

Just to add to this, my general understanding is that in order to get a JDM bumper to fit on your USDM bumper without heavy modification is that you need:

1. A USDM model more or less similar to the JDM version (e.g. same or slight variation in model year).

2. Compatible bumper beam and mounting hardware.

3. The JDM bumper itself.

Some other considerations:

4. Compatible JDM headlights (as necessary).

5. Compatible JDM grille (as necessary).

6. Compatible JDM fenders (as necessary).

7. Compatible JDM front-mounting license plate hardware (as necessary).

8. Compatible JDM fog lights (as necessary).

9. Compatible JDM fender liners (as necessary).

10. Compatible FMIC (if you run a FMIC).

My line of thinking is that you need the Front Bumper Equip Kit: http://japanparts.com/db/partslist.php?KEYWORD=&dealer=&car=&middlesmall=&maker=&VOLKEY=107-024-B plus whatever front bumper you want for a less complicated install. It's generally cost prohibitive to do #4 onwards I think.

Anything else to consider?

Edited by Geegeez

My questions were more in line with the RevD+. I think the Rev A-C has proven itself many times over to be a very straightforward install.

But with the Rev D+ SpecB I would need the bumper kit, (2) JDM fenders, and (2) JDM headlamps that would need work to be used on US highways.

And based on the other members who have done this, it seems like the hood fitment has been an issue. Neither have really elaborated on why the gaps exist around the grill and top bumper skin (DAMD fenders perhaps), but they do nonetheless and the cost of a new hood would be insane for something so minor that only a handful of people would even know work was done.

I am fine with going forward with other plans until I see a solid parts needed list for a cosmetically acceptable Rev D+ swap.

Also, GeeGeez everything that is in your kit is found in the Rev D SpecB bumper kit http://japanparts.com/db/partslist.php?KEYWORD=bumper+kit&dealer=1&car=141&middlesmall=&maker=&VOLKEY=107-048-001-S

Thanks again for all of the insight guys.

Best,

C.H.

Edited by cholmes1
Grammar

Just got this from JapanParts. Thoughts??

Dear Charles,

Thank you so much for your reply. I'm about 90% sure that you do NOT need to change fenders, headlamps, hood and so on for the Rev D+ on a 2007. I've seen some people has also changed the headlamps as well because of the looks. JDM headlamps are NOT amber side

If you are happy with your headlamps, then I'm about 90% sure that you do NOT need to change the headlamps. ONLY problem is that I just can NOT really guarantee about the fitment onto oversea models at all.

Just want to make sure I do not get something and then realize that all of the other parts are needed....

More mixed messages

Realize that the JDM model went to the refreshed body style for MY'07 while in the US it wasn't until MY'08. That may be the source of confusion.

If someone with an '08+ wants to try out the swap, I have a Rev.D+ bumper hanging in my garage (no hardware).

JDM facelifts started coming out in 2006.