LegacyGT.com

Stage 2 (cont'd)

fishbone

Stronger pulls than the rev3. Jarrad did take aggressive measures to eliminate knock, so I imagine he backed down on the power a wee bit. Seeing no more knock, he went back up with rev4.

I'm still a bit concerned about boost. Seems I'm not hitting 17s and up as easily as before?

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd rather see you with just a hair less boost and better timing. Those look MUCH MUCH better than before. I'll bet he did close to what I suggested with the timing. As for your boost, It's all there. You just can't hit the same numbers running through the gears as you can with a 2K-redline run in third. I can hit 23psi on a 3rd gear pull, but usually only see 20-21psi max at the track or when running through the gears at higher RPMs.

He could probably up the WGDC a hair more(almost maxed) and up the boost targets a little too, but at least it a lot more consistant (and cleaner) than before. The humidity and rain probably ate you other psi of boost. The humid air is a lot harder to compress than dry air. Give it a couple day for the tune to sink in and you should see a little more boost too. Thumbs Up!

Let's kick this pig!

I hammered 3rd gear a couple of times today but not all the way up to redline, just up to 70mph or so. AP pegged at 18.6 PSI and held over 17PSI for a decent amount. I have yet to pull the logs but I think we're back in business. We'll see what Jarrad says/does next.

I still don't get how I managed to pull those relatively clean logs almost a year ago and now all of a sudden we had to revise it. I was either lucky back then and it was "a fluke", or we're seeing some shitty gas this time around. Either way I really don't care, I just want to have a map that I can use regardless of what station I use asuming I'm actually getting 91.

Oh, and feel free to hit me with any computer questions you may have. I've been fixing and breaking them since '92 :D

I still think something happened to the gas around here. On the computer thing, I had something short out in a motherboard and it took a full 500gig harddrive with it. The hard drive is in the freezer at the moment waiting for a recovery session when I get the time. I can get the computer to see it and get a directory structure, but when I tried to copy the file it would crap out, so I'm hoping that a good deep freeze will give me a few minutes to pull some stuff off before it heats up.

I keep most everything important on the RAID array on my server, but I had some downloads that I would like to get off that drive. Other than that I'm just missing about 5 months of e-mails. I just spent a ton of time trying different power supplies and swapping cards in and out of the dead tower to figure out that it's just totally DOA. In the end I just ended up buying my fist pre-built computer ever and re-loading everything.

Let's kick this pig!

Freezing it generally works when you're dealing with stuck heads or heads that collapsed and stuck on the platter (severe data loss in that spot). Hitting a hard drive in one of the corners opposite of the pin connectors also works sometimes. I had success with that sort of treatment on 3 different laptop drives, so it's tried and true :D

Here are the two logs I pulled today. What's up with the negative DA once I let off? Is it because I let off rather abruptly without upshifting?

datalog1.csv

datalog2.csv

woah, putting a HD in the freezer can actually work to recover data? a friend thinks his external 500gig is fried...i'll recommend that to him as a possible solution.

Yup, a common problem with HD's is that one of the chips gets too hot and locks the data transfer up. Freezing it will buy you some time before the failed component gets hot enough to stop working. Just be sure to put it in a new, dry ziplock bag so as to not let any ice get on it.

You can basically count on a consumer grade HD for right around 3 years. After that it's a crap shoot on reliability.

This comes from spending far too many years as a Network Administrator and doing hardware support for a network with 2300+ PC's and servers. Every fall we would always order enough hard drive to replace every one in the machines that we had rolled out 3 years before. We even had a few that bit it exactly 3 years from the manufacture date. The moral of the story, back up often to a different physical HD, onto another computer/server or to DVD. Just sucks ass when your back-up hasn't migrated off the second partition to the server yet and it disamapears too.

As for the knock. I think it's what we 5MT'er call shift knock. It shouldn't happen between gear for you, but more so when you let off. It's just a glitch where the load drops real quick and the ECU can't correct timing quick enough to keep it clean. That or it's right where you are a max advance and that advance stick for a little too long. It's really nothing to worry about. Much better than the knock you had before.

Let's kick this pig!

Paul, how do you like your Perrin ? I finally splurged on one. I wonder if it increases lag ? You know twice as big, more volume into which it compresses gases. I know it will help at the business end but not sure how things are at the daily driving end.

Turbo lag has not changed. I was on the stocker at Stage 2 for about a month. I went with the Perrin and boost hits at about the same rpm but stronger. It also seems to hold boost for longer, easier. I was running the PDX tune on the stocker and I wasn't seeing over 17.4-ish ever, if that. Now, every now and then, depending on weather, am hitting over 18 PSI. Matter of fact the day we did the TMIC swap qikslvr and I went for a round of datalogging and right off the bat we saw an extra .5 - 1PSI

As you can see in my logs, at ~3200 I'm already pushing over 17 PSI

Keep in mind you're also looking at logs on a slushbox, where the high stall torque converter swallows up some RPMs. Realistically, day to day boost hits sooner than 3K, at around 2600 the car is already rushing forward.

Here's some more clean-looking logs.

I kinda wish I'd be seeing some more consistent boost over high 17s honestly, especially since I have the Perrin TMIC

You do know that only one of those logs are actually clean right? The first log is crazy conservative and all the rest are pulling timing at multiple points throughout the pull. Your car is not happy at all :(

All I honestly know is that I'm not supposed to be seeing negative numbers. Conservative or not, my car doesn't seem to pull any less than before. Since you're obviously vested in tuning, care to elaborate why they are conservative and where you're seeing timing pulled?

I can duplicate neg DA pretty much whenever I abruptly let off, kinda like how qikslvr described it as "shift shock".

And just when I thought the car was finally running happy ...

*sigh*

Now, any idea WHY the hell she is "not happy"? Could a problematic injector be causing these issues?

qikslvr seems to be hinting at the fact that he's seeing some shitty logs too around this time. I guess maybe I need to move the hell out of Nebraska?

Short of E85 or running Sunoco race fuel all the damn time, I really can't do any better than what gas I've put in the last few times. Shell station, BRAND NEW.

All I honestly know is that I'm not supposed to be seeing negative numbers. Conservative or not, my car doesn't seem to pull any less than before. Since you're obviously vested in tuning, care to elaborate why they are conservative and where you're seeing timing pulled?

I can duplicate neg DA pretty much whenever I abruptly let off, kinda like how qikslvr described it as "shift shock".

And just when I thought the car was finally running happy ...

*sigh*

Now, any idea WHY the hell she is "not happy"? Could a problematic injector be causing these issues?

qikslvr seems to be hinting at the fact that he's seeing some shitty logs too around this time. I guess maybe I need to move the hell out of Nebraska?

Your DA is supposed to be 8 at WOT at ALL times, I can identify this based upon the only clean run you have. Basically anytime it is not, that is how many degrees of timing your ECU has pulled. If your DA goes negative that means you are pulling timing from your base timing map and in your case over 8 degrees timing :eek: That is a good way to crack a ringland.

As far as conservative, that is in regards to your boost. You are leaving tons of power on the table running around at 13-14psi. You also need to log total timing as we have no idea what kind of timing numbers you are truely running.

I'd love to log total timing, but the AP can't and Jarrad said all he needs is the parameters above. Okay, so 8 DA WOT at all times, see, explanations like that make sense to me. I feel like I'm left in the dark but to be honest I'm not asking specific questions either. I just want the tune to run clean in a variety of conditions so that I don't end up with a "picky" car, be it gas, humidity, temperature, etc etc. Make sense? And as it stands I have no idea what it is that's preventing that.

That's strange I have tuned a few LGT's running AP's and never had trouble finding total timing. Your car appears to simply be running too much timing. You might want to give your finicky ebay cable another go and log with Romraider. FWIW the majority of the logs you have posted in this thread have had loads of knock.

I'm not really familiar with the tuner in question, but I don't get how your logs can be this bad on a reputable protune. For $150 or whatever it is infamous charges, why not have him send you an etune. It seems the $150 spent now could save you an engine purchase later. :hide:

That's strange I have tuned a few LGT's running AP's and never had trouble finding total timing.

I will look for it again, maybe I missed it.

On a somewhat related note, the BP station I used to fill up exclusively at was shut down for who knows what reason. Economic times? Poor management? Didn't pass gas test?

It makes me shudder thinking that I've been running the tune as it was a few pages ago for months on end. And believe you me, I did not spare the proverbial rod.

• 2 weeks later...
Is it normal, ever, for dynamic advance to dip below 0.0? Last night registered -1.5 or so when coasting in 5th gear at 2k rpm with me barely touching the gas pedal. I'd let off and DA would be 0.0, I'd touch it not even enough to keep the car coasting and it would register -0.5 or -1.2 or so. It only happened a couple of times or so. Just checking to make sure. WOT DA still stays dead on at 8, looks like the map is dialed in.

Archived