LegacyGT.com

Bilstein BTS Outback XT kit pictures

• Replies 442
  • Created
  • Last Reply
well, from what i understand, Bilstein ships the parts direct to the customer and companies like japanparts are just distributors and middlemen. so if a japanese company/person can accept a smaller cut, parts could be cheaper shipped to your door in us/ca, cheaper than $1.5k (the price i got from japanparts).

TLDR: So far, I haven't found a better way than paying the retail price at Japanparts. That puts it at $1550 shipped plus the cost of top hats, dust boots, and rubber bits for about $1700 shipped total. The top hats and things are pretty cheap on partsouq.com (the same place people buy the cheap JDM rainguards).

Details:

Most places on Yahoo Japan that list the 5056j and 5058j give a disclaimer that it takes 30-45 days to fulfill the order. It seems like these are custom orders from Bilstein Japan, and they are probably just drop shipped to the customer (like you mentioned). It doesn't seem like a stocked item.

JapanParts.com was only willing to do a 2% discount for a group buy with 5 people because "their website price is already discounted from retail". HKC-Speed (a vendor on this forum) was contacting Bilstein Japan about the cost of getting a lot of 5 sets for a group buy, but it's been a few days and I haven't heard back yet from Lu at HKC.

If you use Buyee to browse Yahoo Japan, the prices on the products appear quite a bit lower (~Y20,000 lower) than Japanparts. I think it's because Buyee subtracts off the Japan local consumption sales tax (5-8%?) for international purchases. However, the buying/forwarding services like Buyee then add a 8-10% service fee and a paypal fee, so there isn't a lot of savings to be had by avoiding japanparts.com. And Buyee may not even allow strut shipping. Using the forwarding services just seems like a hassle that would save less than $100 in the end.

I got an email update from Lu @ HKC Speed. No luck finding a source for these yet, but they are still looking. HKC's approach to importing is to buy a bunch of parts in Japan and ship them to Vancouver, Canada via ocean cargo container. From there, they ship parts across North America.

I'm not too optimistic because Japanparts quoted me $165 via AIR/SAL (surface air lifted - meaning on land in your country, and air between countries) to my doorstep. That's amazing. It would cost me $80 to ship the same package via UPS half-way across the US via ground.

I have a crazy idea. What if I did a comparison of several different strut/spring setups on the Outback? It would be an apples-to-apples review from a single person, on the same roads, and same wheels/tires.

1. Fresh Gen 3 KYBs on stock Outback springs
  2. USDM Spec B Bilsteins with Epic Springs
  3. USDM Spec B Bilsteins with USDM Spec B front springs and King Rear Springs (or Legacy wagon, or Rallitek)
  4. BTS5058

Details (thinking out loud):

Since KYB is having the $40 rebate until the end of April, I can snag a new set of F+R Gen3 KYB Outback struts for ~240 shipped (after rebate) on Amazon. I might as well do that and see how my Outback handles on fresh struts. Maybe I'll replace the rubber LCA and rear lateral links, too, to ensure I don't have any other handling gremlins. This option seems like a no-brainer since I'd want a set of fresh KYBs on the stock springs for when I eventually sell the Outback. And if I am happy enough with the setup, I could just stay stock and not try any other setup.

I also have a set of used (40k miles) USDM Spec B Bilsteins and Epic springs that I could just install and see how it looks and works on the Outback (e.g. can it even be aligned after the slight drop?). I could always toss on USDM Spec B front springs and try the KSRS-29 King springs (or possibly just Legacy wagon springs) in the rear. I'd only mess with this option as a service to the Subaru community, as I think I want to keep my stock Outback ride height. It would just be fairly easy for me to try this.

Lastly/Finally, I could also buy what I really want, the BTS-5058, and compare to these two other setups.

The only additional cost for me at this point would be the $220 rear King Springs (or Rallitek overloads, or Legacy wagon springs), Front OE Spec B springs, and a life-time alignment. I would lose very little money ($100 or less) re-selling the springs that I didn't want when I was done. I would need an alignment no matter which way I went. The only things I am interested in that I wouldn't be able to test are KYB Gen2's in some sort of arrangement.

Any thoughts? Anybody want to donate a set of springs to the cause? Or any other ideas I should think about?

I have a crazy idea. What if I did a comparison of several different strut/spring setups on the Outback? It would be an apples-to-apples review from a single person, on the same roads, and same wheels/tires.

3. USDM Spec B Bilsteins with USDM Spec B front springs and King Rear Springs (or Legacy wagon, or Rallitek)
  4. BTS5058

Since KYB is having the $40 rebate until the end of April, I can snag a new set of F+R Gen3 KYB Outback struts for ~240 shipped (after rebate) on Amazon. I might as well do that and see how my Outback handles on fresh struts. Maybe I'll replace the rubber LCA and rear lateral links, too, to ensure I don't have any other handling gremlins. This option seems like a no-brainer since I'd want a set of fresh KYBs on the stock springs for when I eventually sell the Outback. And if I am happy enough with the setup, I could just stay stock and not try any other setup.

I also have a set of used (40k miles) USDM Spec B Bilsteins and Epic springs that I could just install and see how it looks and works on the Outback (e.g. can it even be aligned after the slight drop?). I could always toss on USDM Spec B front springs and try the KSRS-29 King springs (or possibly just Legacy wagon springs) in the rear. I'd only mess with this option as a service to the Subaru community, as I think I want to keep my stock Outback ride height. It would just be fairly easy for me to try this.

Lastly/Finally, I could also buy what I really want, the BTS-5058, and compare to these two other setups.

The only additional cost for me at this point would be the $220 rear King Springs (or Rallitek overloads, or Legacy wagon springs), Front OE Spec B springs, and a life-time alignment. I would lose very little money ($100 or less) re-selling the springs that I didn't want when I was done. I would need an alignment no matter which way I went. The only things I am interested in that I wouldn't be able to test are KYB Gen2's in some sort of arrangement.

Any thoughts? Anybody want to donate a set of springs to the cause? Or any other ideas I should think about?

If you do install the fresh KYB on your car, and rallitek springs plus some bushings here and there, it'll almost be like my 05. The bushings really brings the car back in place, where the car feels real tight. But the dampening still sucks. Essentially, if the road is free of bumps and stuff, then the ride is awesome. But add lots of uneven surfaces, then it feels a bit like a Tahoe or something.

My 06 outback has the Bilstein HD struts with the STI pink springs. This combined with front and rear aftermarket swaybars and endlinks. TOTALLY different beast. Evidently now the car is lower. Handling is top notch. But you will not like this setup for longer drives. You may loose a tooth or two if you hit a pot hole :lol:.

4. BTS5058

This would certainly be a great service to the OB suspension stepchildren.

However, xt2005 is right on the money. With the fresh bushings and oem struts your car will probably feel like a newer boat. While the BTS kit or a proper coil setup will most likely morph it into a road car.

Years ago I had a set of Bilstein HD and H&R progressive sport springs on a Fox body Mustang GT, after that I haven't driven on any suspension that felt nearly as balanced in terms of street/sports performance vs compliance over different surfaces while still providing excellent feedback. This is why I want to get bilsteins for my OB. I personally don't know of a brand better for bolt-on replacement struts and shocks.

Quick update: The Yen has been strong to the US Dollar, so the kits now cost us about $40 dollars than a week ago. Also, Buyee (or other buying services) will not ship any struts. So Japanparts is still the leading option. No updates from HKC Speed, so I assume they haven't found a source.

Leadtime?

I'll let you know when I find out. I'm not getting my hopes up that I can actually get one of these. It seems like it's been a couple years since anyone has bought a new kit. I'm waiting on getting the tophats until I get more confidence in the shipment.

Just bought the JDM parts from partsouq.com for a total of $83 shipped:

JDM rear shock perch (20370AG010)

JDM rear rubber upper (20375AE011)

Bought the USDM Bilstein parts from Northcoast Subaru via Ebay for $177 shipped:

SpecB top hats (20320AG01A)

SpecB dust cap (20326AG000)

Grand total so far:$1608 + $83 + $177 = $1868

I'll be installing new KYB shocks and new LCA bushings in the next week or two. If the ride handles "good enough", you may find me selling this kit. I'm a fickle creature, I guess.

I'll be installing new KYB shocks and new LCA bushings in the next week or two. If the ride handles "good enough", you may find me selling this kit. I'm a fickle creature, I guess.

What LCA bushings are you going with?

What are doing for an alignment? It gets pricey getting a new alignment for each set-up.

I went with whiteline centered rear LCA and whiteline front. Didn't need the extra caster.

I am debating on the alignment. It's about $85 a pop. The only lifetime packages I've found are Sears and Firestone, which are sketchy places to get an alignment. I can see myself needing 2 at a minimum and possibly 3.

Japanparts bumped the price of the BTS5058j up by $83 (9,000 yen) to $1512 (164,406 yen) right after my purchase (delay time of 30-45 days). Yikes. The BTS5056j is still at $1364 with an "ASK" for the delay time. I suspect they haven't ordered a 5056 lately to have it re-quoted for cost and delay time.

As far as I can tell, Bilstein Japan builds these 'on demand' whenever they get an order.

This is sort of off-topic, but check out this JDM KYB 05-09 strut+spring set on Ebay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/JDM-Subaru-Legacy-Outback-Shocks-Struts-Spring-Suspension-2005-09-OUTBACK-KYB-98-/131782382190?hash=item1eaed7926e:g:V2kAAOSw2GlXERLI&vxp=mtr

$379 shipped. Also, I think it uses the Bilstein/JDM tophats.

This is sort of off-topic, but check out this JDM KYB 05-09 strut+spring set on Ebay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/JDM-Subaru-Legacy-Outback-Shocks-Struts-Spring-Suspension-2005-09-OUTBACK-KYB-98-/131782382190?hash=item1eaed7926e:g:V2kAAOSw2GlXERLI&vxp=mtr

$379 shipped. Also, I think it uses the Bilstein/JDM tophats.

mmh. Those are the self-leveling rear shocks. I wonder how they perform compared to the usdm kyb shock. I also wonder if the front struts are exactly the same as ours.

Archived