LegacyGT.com

Bilstein BTS Outback XT kit pictures

dang. That is a nice deal. never bought stuff from a japanese site though. Trusted site? Well I guess so since you are following it..

UpGarage seems to be a popular Japan thing for car parts. I think individual sellers create an account on there, and it's just a site to help them sell their goods. Kind of like EBay. Croooober is a worldwide shipping service and search engine for parts on UpGarage (and some other sites, too, I think).

It seems like a lot of people use Crooober to buy & ship JDM parts. This particular ad claims a 7-day warranty, although I have no idea what is covered by it. The kit looks in good shape, and seems to have a date stamp of Jan 2012, so it's relatively new.

Even if you bought these brand new from Bilstein via JapanParts, you get no warranty.

• Replies 442
  • Created
  • Last Reply
thanks for this info. Man decisions decisions...

btw, still happy with your kit? Anny additional feedback on it?

I'm still enjoying the setup, and I've had it for about 6k miles. I am always loading up the family and gear, and taking trips. It's so comfortable, and keeps the vehicle well-controlled. For aggressive drivers the springs might be too soft, but for casual daily driving they are a dream.

If I had to do it again, would I spend $2k for that improvement over the KYBs? Probably not. But its nice enough for me not to want to bother removing it and selling it at a loss.

At $1k, which includes springs/top hats/etc, it's a good value. You can always resell it for close to what you paid if you install it for a year or two and then move on to something else.

so wait, are you saying this kit has everything already included? In other words, no need to buy extra parts from local USDM dealers? Mmh, getting more and more interested now.

That setup is 100% complete for bolting up to your Outback. All the small things like spring perches, spring pads, top hat bearings are all there. It's pretty nice that you don't need to buy that stuff, dont need spring compressors, and you can quickly bolt it up. 20 total bolts/nuts and you're done. A fresh alignment is a good idea.

Congrats!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

:lol:

Ok. I'll keep that in mind.

My current set up has 10k old KYB in the front and 35k old KYB in the rear paired with Rallitek overload springs. I have also upgraded almost every single bushing you can think of. Also have whiteline rear swaybar with AVO endlinks (front bar and links are stock). So I will be curious to see handling improvement, particularly in the dampening department.

I should also add that I am planning to add spacers to either keep or slightly increase ride height. I like to go offroad at times.

The rallitek springs are supposed to be18% stiffer then usdm stock so probably fairly close

Sent from my 6045I using Tapatalk

Current: 16 Crosstrek Premium w/ Eyesight & 05 Outback XT 5MT

Past Subies: 14 FXT Premium, 14 WRX hatch, 06 Legacy 2.5i SE 5MT, 98 Outback wagon

If I were to install my rallitek overload springs in the rear, in place of the bilstein springs on the BTS kit, what outcome do you think I'll get in terms of handling?

Just wondering...

Are the BTS rear springs the same size/shape as USDM OE rear springs? The BTS needs different rear top hats for the strut, but I wasn't sure if the spring was different, too.

Recall the Bilstein Spec B rear shocks use the same top hats as the OE and KYBs.

I should have checked the different spring fitment on the rear BTS when I had all the parts sitting on the floor.

The BTS springs are Eibachs and I am fairly sure they are stiffer than stock springs.

If they are stiffer than stock, it can't be by a lot. Even lightly loaded I get a lot of rear suspension travel. I would think that overload springs would likely be quite a bit stiffer than the BTS springs.

If they are stiffer than stock, it can't be by a lot. Even lightly loaded I get a lot of rear suspension travel. I would think that overload springs would likely be quite a bit stiffer than the BTS springs.

Stiffness of the spring is better seen in static conditions if ground clearance is being lost due to extra load. My old OEM springs were a lot looser than new springs on BTS. I get very little reduction in ground clearance while loading up.

No experience from overload springs though.

What it comes to increased travel in dynamic conditions it's more to do with dampers. When I got my BTS-kit the front end was very good but rear experienced very pronounced longer travel comparing to front. I sent rear shocks to Bilstein Rally Service and they found out that they were incorrectly assembled and had some loose nut inside. Shocks would have get damaged if this had not been rectified.

I also asked to slightly increase slow speed damping.

After this service/alternation front and rear are perfectly in harmony and I see very controlled travel while driving loaded or light.

^mmmh. I wonder if such a service exists here with bilstein usa. I need to find this one out. Great idea.

Don't have to be necessarily an official Bilstein work shop. I'd expect most work shops who do suspensions for rally to have an experience with Bilstein or Öhlins

thanks!

I wanted to tackle the job this week, but I am planning to get some spacers to keep or ever so slightly increase the clearance.

Plus, I think I may have to get some new front top hats. One of them has a tiny play in it. Maybe I just need to tighten the bolt. We shall see.

Can you remind me how much clearance you guys actually lost with this kit?

Archived