LegacyGT.com

Bilstein BTS Outback XT kit pictures

• Replies 442
  • Created
  • Last Reply
mmh. Those are the self-leveling rear shocks. I wonder how they perform compared to the usdm kyb shock. I also wonder if the front struts are exactly the same as ours.

The front tophats are different. I can't tell if anything else is different.

I wasn't sure if those bulges on the rear were the self-leveling struts. That's pretty cool!

That is the stock setup of my car, just recently checked! So now I'm uncertain if the BTS kits fit my car because of the self leveling stuff! :/

Somebody did install the BTS kit on their self leveling car with good results. I think their rear dropped by 7mm with the BTS kit, so they added a spacer on the rear strut hat.

• 2 weeks later...

I believe I had this read this somewhere, but I wanted to post again to confirm it as fact:

The BTS5058j is identical to the BTS5056j except for a slightly different front spring to accommodate the weight of the 3.0 H6 vs the 2.5i. The strut bodies and rear springs are all the same.

• 3 weeks later...

Dispatch20, are you done with your install?

WRX USA, since you have a WRX as well, how would you compare the handling of the outback with the bts kit? Are you really satisfied with it or are there still some aspects that you dislike?

Dispatch20, are you done with your install?

WRX USA, since you have a WRX as well, how would you compare the handling of the outback with the bts kit? Are you really satisfied with it or are there still some aspects that you dislike?

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/wrx-usas-09-obxt-build-thread-241191.html

There is no doubt that the handling is much sharper on my WRX versus my OBXT just given the ride height and tire profile. The stock OBXT handling for me coming from the WRX was recklessly bad. RSB helped a ton but the BTS-5056 made the car way more enjoyable and completely comfortable. The only thing that sucks after that is the steering rack. You don't realize how much turning you are doing until you get an LGT one. With the addition of the 6MT that car is perfectly set up as a DD that is a blast on a mountain road or a 2000 mile road trip.

Is the Rear Sway Bar upgrade really needed with BTS? I'm still on original sways. Only upgrade beside BTS-kit is front LCA's rear bushings which are Group-N. All the rest is stock.

Going to install 6spd+R180 soon, so would be a time to do it "if a must".

Thanks!

Is the Rear Sway Bar upgrade really needed with BTS? I'm still on original sways. Only upgrade beside BTS-kit is front LCA's rear bushings which are Group-N. All the rest is stock.

Going to install 6spd+R180 soon, so would be a time to do it "if a must".

Thanks!

I mean nothing is a "must". The RSB makes the rear of the car feel better connected to the front. When you turn the steering wheel the rear reacts more immediately and feels like it tracks better through turns.

If that sounds like something you would like then it's "must".

Wow ... The JDM Bilstein BTS thread has a bit of a following... Its been way to long since I've checked in with legacygt.com ... Outback XT thread.

Our MY05 Outback XT w/BTS kit is going strong. Gawd damn,, it was Fall of 2008 when the BTS kit was chased down in Tokyo and shipped to ATL.

Man O Man,, fellow forum member WRX USA has gone the extra mile in the Outback XT enhancement department ! Damn ! Luv those Spec' B aluminum LCA details... An OB XT after our own hearts.

Cheers, Mike

Cheers, Mike

|`94 E-Class Coupe |`98 Carrera 993 C2S |`14 Cayman S |`20 Outback Touring XT | All Debadged |

Hey dukeeverwinter -

Our OB XT w/BTS suspension drives and rides fine on the highway when significantly loaded, as on an extended trip.. This OB XT has made the 3,000mi+ round trip; ATL - DEN - ATL numerous times in the past 7 years since installing the Bilstein BTS suspension tweaks. With 2 adults, 1 teenager, a 40LB Portuguese Water Dog, the rear cargo loaded with gear and several "to freak 'in heavy" computer bags etc.,,, all the whilst towing a 5'x8' utility trailer (Gross trailer weight; 650 - 700LBS) ...Trailer weight is 350LBS + 300LBS for the Vespa scooter and additional luggage) drives fine..

The Interstate Hwy's btw ATL and Vail, CO are speed posted as 65mph and 75mph... So scooting at +5 or +10 at the limit and the OB XT w/trailer drives fine. Be attentive not to bias the added weight on the rear axle.. That is spread the weight around..

Edit: Our 5'x 8' utility trailers tongue weight (unladed) is 60LBS ... (trailer tongue height and the OB XT hitch height relationship is set up with a shallow 5 degree lower tilt towards the vehicle. (Leading edge of trailer tilts slightly down) With the trailer loaded (650LBS laden) tongue weight is increased to 82LBS all toll at the Outback XT's hitch.

Pretty general, but hope that helps..

I understand, but I like to use my wagon as a wagon. this include a 45+ pound bike rack not including 2 bikes and camping gear for a week or longer. Will the springs that come with these kits be adequate? or will it be dragging butt around when loaded.

Cheers, Mike

|`94 E-Class Coupe |`98 Carrera 993 C2S |`14 Cayman S |`20 Outback Touring XT | All Debadged |

I mean nothing is a "must". The RSB makes the rear of the car feel better connected to the front. When you turn the steering wheel the rear reacts more immediately and feels like it tracks better through turns.

If that sounds like something you would like then it's "must".

i'd consider a rear swaybar the first suspension mod worth doing, for USDM at least, with our 16mm rear bar compared to 19/20mm rear bars everywhere else in the world.

Thank you! Then I'll swap RSB

Looked into this long time ago but forgot that USDM is actually that much smaller than "rest of the world".

Next step is to find a good upgrade. Part of reason why haven't changed RSB earlier is logic that it'll reduce grip on rear even further and it's now quite slippery on gravel and snow/ice.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

Archived