LegacyGT.com

Using an Autonostics/Vag-Com Cable To Read/Flash ECU's

qikslvr

Ok so I went out and bought a new laptop (I was due for one). It has windows 7 home premium. I cannot get this thing to work. When i download ecuflash 1.29a i get a 64bit fault (DPInst.exe) and I have searched to no avail on that one. I thought about running it in xp mode but home premium does not come with that. I tried downloading the newer version of ecuflash but none of them work, 1.34 or 1.42. I am not have very good luck with this vag-com cable!

I saw another post with this similar problem on lgt, but no one on there had come to any conclusions either.

Did you completely uninstall the old drivers before trying EcuFlash 1.42?

If so I suspect that your cable is bad or otherwise incompatible. You can either try ordering another one, or just pay the bigger bucks for an OpenPort 2.0, which gets you the added benefit of logging directly to a flash card. It's a really nice feature at the track or in any situations where a loose laptop is not appropriate or not allowed.

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So from reading this thread I infer that in order to do an e-tune, in addition to the VAG-COM cable I need both Romraider and ECUflash installed on my laptop. Is this correct?

I just did a search on eBay and looked at quite a few listings. Some of them specifically say that they won't work with Vista and some specifically state that they will work with Windows 7, both 32 & 64 bit builds. I noticed also some references to software. I'm assuming that Romraider and ECUflash are the apps that we need and so can ignore any software reference in the ebay listing.

Edited by Subadozer
added information

So from reading this thread I infer that in order to do an e-tune, in addition to the VAG-COM cable I need both Romraider and ECUflash installed on my laptop. Is this correct?

Yes.

Dave

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Providing unmatched customer service and a Premium level of Dyno/E-tuning to the Community

cryotuneperformance@yahoo.com

facebook.com/cryotuneperformance.

Hey guys I'm trying to read my rom id for an infamous etune. ECU id not supported w/ learning view. Reinstalling ecuflash 1.29a I'm unable to find the driver: FTDI 2.04.06 through the link on the first page. Any other suggestion for an 05obxt,xp, blue head silver cable compatible driver that might work?

Hey guys I'm trying to read my rom id for an infamous etune. ECU id not supported w/ learning view. Reinstalling ecuflash 1.29a I'm unable to find the driver: FTDI 2.04.06 through the link on the first page. Any other suggestion for an 05obxt,xp, blue head silver cable compatible driver that might work?

The driver is not the problem. If Learning View doesn't recognize your ROM switching drivers will not help.

Also there is no need to use the generic/unbranded FTDI drivers in my experience with eBay KKL cables. Follow my instructions for switching to the latest version of EcuFlash and its included drivers:

1. Plug in the VAG-COM KKL cable.
  2. Open Device Manager.
  3. Uninstall the cable's COM port. If it has an entry in the USB Controllers section delete that too. (I forget if it does or not.)
  4. Close Device Manager.
  5. Open Add or Remove Programs.
  6. Uninstall EcuFlash.
  7. Uninstall all FTDI and/or OpenPort driver entries. There will be at least two, maybe three.
  8. Close Add or Remove Programs.
  9. Reboot.
  10. If the C:\Program Files\OpenECU directory still exists, delete it. (Or wherever you installed EcuFlash to.)
  11. Install the latest version of EcuFlash. (The latest stable release is 1.42.2595 as of this writing.)
  12. When the installation dialogs for the OpenPort drivers pop up as part of installing EcuFlash, install them too.

Back to Learning View, I am surprised that an 05 OBXT ROM isn't supported. What market/country is your car from? What is the ROM ID? EcuFlash should be able to pull the image and tell you.

You _may_ have either or both of these options available, depending on your car and your ROM:

1) If there is a RomRaider/etc definition for your ECU image, stick with it, and do without Learning View. Learning View is really convenient and nice to have, but you *can* record everything it shows by actually running the car through all the different cells and logging the appropriate variables. I'm sure Infamous1 can help you with that.

2) You could switch to a different ECU image that's both compatible with your car and supported by Learning View. It almost certainly needs to be from the same market (USDM/EDM/JDM/etc). Preferably from the same model year too, but doesn't necessarily have to be, depending on the changes made. E.g. any 2005 or 2006 USDM LGT or OBXT image probably works fine on any 2005/2006 USDM LGT or OBXT.

Infamous1 should be able to get you such an image if you want to go this route. If not, let me know. If your car is USDM I have a compatible image supported by Learning View. Not sure if I do for any other markets - let me know if you want me to check.

Edited by matt

Thanks for your reply, yes it's a usdm and I'm not sure about the rom id as that is what I need to send Shamar for my etune. I was finally able to at least select the blue ecu (in ecuflash) but after I select obxt in ecuflash nothing happens is that a ecu definition problem or something different?

• 3 weeks later...
Just an fyi for anyone having the same problems I had... it took 3 farrite choke cores in line with the obd2 wires just before the connector to data log properly. I never got windows 7 to talk with Ecu flash 1.29 properly so I ended up finding a vm image of XP and used vmware player to take care of that.

• 2 weeks later...
So tried this today. Did the test connectors, then the OBDII cable, at firs it didnt work with the latest version of EcuFlash so I reverted to 1.29, The read button was finally highlighted when the car was in the ON position but when I hit read, it said it could not be read. What shall I do?

it's been a while since i've gone into this thread since I got my stuff working, but does anyone have any info on whether or not the VAG-COM (and RR/ECUflash) works with windows 7 64-bit? laptop died so i'm getting a new one, and trying to make sure it's compatible with whatever i get.

http://i344.photobucket.com/albums/p330/ibr_adam09/1301701569.jpg

I'm using a vagcom cable and I'm 99% sure that I have 1.42 installed

Regardless my laptop is a 64bit. :iam:

Maybe Im running a "virtual xp 32bit", but I don't recall doing anything to do that. Could have been done automaticaly when the drivers for the vagcom cable were installed

Tried to use the CAN Commander 1.4, nothing did not work, buy from Ebay KKL Vag com 409.1 cable

and the same thing nothing is impossible. An error

[09:16:59.359] denso02_bootloader_cmd_start

[09:17:00.578] denso02_bootloader_cmd_start

[09:17:01.812] denso02_bootloader_cmd_start

[09:17:02.265] kernel get version

ECU from WRX 2002. Soldered a separate cable that would be programmed at home. Green are connected and clear 4 pins at once, too.

http://i344.photobucket.com/albums/p330/ibr_adam09/1301701569.jpg

I'm using a vagcom cable and I'm 99% sure that I have 1.42 installed

Regardless my laptop is a 64bit. :iam:

Maybe Im running a "virtual xp 32bit", but I don't recall doing anything to do that. Could have been done automaticaly when the drivers for the vagcom cable were installed

Your cable looks to be a liitle different than the one i got. I wish it was that easy for me, I went through a lot of hard ache before using a virtual machine.

Your cable looks to be a liitle different than the one i got. I wish it was that easy for me, I went through a lot of hard ache before using a virtual machine.

I looked at quite a few cables on eBay and some stated that they would work with Windows 7 and others didn't. I haven't yet loaded the software and hooked up the cable so can't comment on how well my 'will work' cable actually does.

I want to thank qikslvr for the clear and concise instructions, as well as the tips to attach ferrite choke cores to the OBD2 wiring. I was having issues where data logging would cut out (connection lost) after 4k RPM. After I put two of the cores on the cable just past the OBD2 port, I was good to go. I'm sure attaching three wouldn't hurt either! Again you want to purchase two or three of these (you can return the third if you don't need it):

This size works the best, if you go for a smaller choke it won't fit around the wiring.

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2103222&CAWELAID=107599340

Now the data logging and e-tuning process is much faster and easier now! :)

[00:33:00.619] ssm2_init

[00:33:00.760] ECU ID is 2F 12 78 52 06

[00:33:00.760] ssm2_cmd_0x81

[00:33:00.807] ssm2_cmd_0x83

[00:33:00.853] denso challenge-response

[00:33:00.900] challenge is A9 62 29 FE

[00:33:00.900] response is E0 34 1C 61

Followed by a :fail: pop up...

I have no idea what it means other than i can't read the rom off my ecu ... i tried both 05-06 DBW ECU defs and this is what i got both times... :-(