LegacyGT.com

Using an Autonostics/Vag-Com Cable To Read/Flash ECU's

qikslvr

Ecu flash 1.29 does not work with windows 7 64 bit. The only way I got it to work is using a virtual machine running XP

I got it to run... could you not even get it to run ?

[00:33:00.619] ssm2_init

[00:33:00.760] ECU ID is 2F 12 78 52 06

[00:33:00.760] ssm2_cmd_0x81

[00:33:00.807] ssm2_cmd_0x83

[00:33:00.853] denso challenge-response

[00:33:00.900] challenge is A9 62 29 FE

[00:33:00.900] response is E0 34 1C 61

Followed by a :fail: pop up...

I have no idea what it means other than i can't read the rom off my ecu ... i tried both 05-06 DBW ECU defs and this is what i got both times... :-(

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i havent tried ecuflash yet, but i was able to open RR and LV with my VAG-COM cable and windows 7 32bit. I didnt try pulling a log because i couldnt go for a drive, but I was able to monitor RPM, MRP, and injector roughness while idling the car. injector 2 had one misfire count while revving slightly in park (barely over 2k RPM) but thats besides the point.

i'll try ecuflash when i have more time

Yeah on windows 7 64 bit I got everything to work by using ecu flash1.43 drivers then un installing it and putting 1.29 on.

I'm not clear on the progression here and maybe my ignorance comes from not having yet tried to connect my laptop to the car. So you first installed the version 1.43 drivers. Then you uninstalled ecu flash and installed it with the 1.29 drivers. But as I read your post I infer that it worked with the 1.43 drivers. If so why the uninstall and reinstall with the older drivers?

Everything worked but ECU flash the first time... but it may have been the same error i had the second time it just didn't log it the same way...

1.29a didn't work for me because my ecu is locked with a protune in it.. :-(

• 1 month later...
Tried to use the CAN Commander 1.4, nothing did not work, buy from Ebay KKL Vag com 409.1 cable

and the same thing nothing is impossible. An error

[09:16:59.359] denso02_bootloader_cmd_start

[09:17:00.578] denso02_bootloader_cmd_start

[09:17:01.812] denso02_bootloader_cmd_start

[09:17:02.265] kernel get version

ECU from WRX 2002. Soldered a separate cable that would be programmed at home. Green are connected and clear 4 pins at once, too.

You need a genuine Tactrix OpenPort adapter to read or flash a 2002 WRX. You can log with an eBay KKL cable (RomRaider and Learning View), but that's it.

Edited by matt

• 2 months later...

So what I've experienced thus far:

1. I have a 2005 Saabaru... Aka 2005 Subaru WRX Wagon 5MT

2. I have an ebay vagcom cable.

3. I was unable to connect with ECUflash to my car with the latest / greatest version. I was however fully able to connect with Romraider and Learningview.

4. I have a laptop with windows 7 x64.

So I downgraded uninstalled ECUflash current and went to version 1.29a. I was then fully able to pull the ROM off my car. At present I have a CEL for the rear o2 sensor. P0038. I opened my rom with romraider, made edits to it, saved it.

I then went out to the car to apply the modified rom and it simply will not. I get an error. All looks well, it appears to be writing to things, then it just up and fails.

Any thoughts?

• 2 weeks later...

Werd, I think I'm starting to figure this ish out. I've been driving around for a day on the stock map with my UP and DP installed. But I haven't gone above 3K RPM because I'm also breaking in the clutch. Also need to reinforce my IC before the break-in is done.

Clearing a CEL would be considered writing to the ECU right?

resetting/clearing does not involve green connectors. learning view has a reset ecu button at the top for this, unless you're talking about disabling the p code in the ecu map, in which case would involve the green connectors.

Aaight, so I can't even connect with the green connectors disconnected. I set my bit rate etc and drivers should be all good based on what I DL'ed. I should have connected them and tried again, but I ran out of lunch break.

And WTF is "learning view"? I have ECU Flash and RR installed.

EDIT: reading http://legacygt.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2148483&postcount=79 this post now and think I need to do that shizzle. You should definitely be able to read without the green connectors connected, like AutoZone etc do with their OBDII readers. I'm n00bing this up :spin:

EDIT EDIT: I found learning view...

Edited by BigTDogg (MA)

learning view is probably the most valuable tool out of all these programs.

it shows your learned fuel trims (in which you can interpret maf scaling problems and vac leaks)

and fine learned knock correction tables based on rpm and load range

this is simply a snapshot of healthiness of your tune and engine management. - values show that the ecu has pulled timing in that particular area. when the knock sensor detects a knock it pulls -1.4 degrees of timing, if it still hears knock at that same point it pulls another 1.4 (so...-2.8) and so on and so forth. It then slowly attempts to add timing over time to get back to where the tune says so.

example- if you see a -1.4 in a cell, it means it detected a knock there and pulled -1.4 degrees rather recently...if you see -0.68, or -0.80 etc (lower than 1.4) then that's an indication the ecu is working it's way back to 0.0 essentially and adding a little timing here and there. So the ecu is always trying to get to where the tune is set at, however if you have a batch of bad gas and the engine knocks, this is one way the ecu works in returning to homeostasis when you do get good gas in there...

get it here, it's a free tool

http://www.romraider.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=7397

with the green connectors connected you'll hear your radiator fans cycle on/off, you shouldn't be able to start the car with the connectors connected.

Edited by bmx045

i havent tried ecuflash yet, but i was able to open RR and LV with my VAG-COM cable and windows 7 32bit. I didnt try pulling a log because i couldnt go for a drive, but I was able to monitor RPM, MRP, and injector roughness while idling the car. injector 2 had one misfire count while revving slightly in park (barely over 2k RPM) but thats besides the point.

i'll try ecuflash when i have more time

So I got LV to work, and ECUFlash 1.29a to recognize there is an ECU there, but got the same error as below when I tried to connect

I got it to run... could you not even get it to run ?

[00:33:00.619] ssm2_init

[00:33:00.760] ECU ID is 2F 12 78 52 06

[00:33:00.760] ssm2_cmd_0x81

[00:33:00.807] ssm2_cmd_0x83

[00:33:00.853] denso challenge-response

[00:33:00.900] challenge is A9 62 29 FE

[00:33:00.900] response is E0 34 1C 61

Followed by a :fail: pop up...

So what was your solution? Can I write to the ECU with something besides ECUFlash?

I log with RR right? And then use LV to pull stored knock corrections?

what drivers did you use? LV more easily shows learned knock in a table view, RR will show feedback and fine learning as well as roughness counts and knock sum(maybe)....

I'm using 2.08.14 WHQL Certified drivers, I have not tried 2.08.17 (Beta) yet.

Which I DLed from the link http://www.ftdichip.com/Drivers/D2XX.htm on the first page of this thread.

I don't have any access to older drivers.

Yeah, I'll mess around with it some more. I ordered a STGII Infamous tune, so I don't need to do too much effing around with it on my end, I just need to be able to read and flash. I'll try uninstalling and reinstalling, then rebooting and rebooting, drinking, and regular booting, lol.

I can get it to connect (and clear my P0420) with LV, but ECUFlash doesn't want to work right now.

So I just read through this whole thread. I may try ECUFlash 1.42 because I thought VAG-COM wasn't supported after 1.29, but I guess that's not the case?

First I'll try the drivers that came on the CD with the cable.

BTW, thanks for the help thusfar.

Edited by BigTDogg (MA)