LegacyGT.com

Using an Autonostics/Vag-Com Cable To Read/Flash ECU's

qikslvr

Does anyone know of anywhere to download romraider 0.5.0? I cat seem to get ecuflash 1.29a to connect to my ECU and I want to try romraider but the latest version isn't working. I've spend hours trying and followed qikslvr's instructions. I'm a little frustrated to say the least! I need to figure this out so I can install my UP/DP and get infamous tuned. Please help.

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are you sure that the drivers for the cable were installed properly and the computer is seeing the cable? If you open Device Manager(under system in control panel) and then plug in the cable; you should see a new item pop up under LPT&COM ports. It should show either a "Serial to USB Adapter", "Mosfet usb device(or something like that), or some other name depending upon which driver was used. If it does; you will need to figure out which COM Port it is assigned to. When you open RomRaider Logger; you will need to select that com port from the drop box in the upper right corner. When you do that the words in the upper left corner should change from "connecting to ECU" to reading data or something. I'm actually out of town, but will be back soon and will gladly assist when I can.

Did you get a driver disc with the cable?

Does anyone know of anywhere to download romraider 0.5.0? I cat seem to get ecuflash 1.29a to connect to my ECU and I want to try romraider but the latest version isn't working. I've spend hours trying and followed qikslvr's instructions. I'm a little frustrated to say the least! I need to figure this out so I can install my UP/DP and get infamous tuned. Please help.
Let's kick this pig!

Thanks for the reply qikslvr! I'm using the drivers that are posted in this thread, I did get a driver disc with the cable but it doesn't work either. I was actually just messing with it and I can get learning view to read the ecu but ecuflash is still not connecting. It recognizes the cable (bottom of the window displays USB <> SERIAL) but when I hit read and then select the vehicle from the list it says the below errors...

[18:35:17.172] unable to open OpenPort device [ Serial ].

[18:35:17.172] unable to connect to vehicle interface.

I also dont see where you select which com port in ecuflash. Am I missing something?

And should I be using the latest version of RR? I read in one of these threads that version 0.5.0 will only work with our cars but I can't find where to download it.

Are you connecting the green test connectors that are found in the passenger side footwell(top centerish behind the glovebox may be tucked under carpet in a little pocket)?

Also do you have the key turned to the "ON" psoition?

Let's kick this pig!

Are you connecting the green test connectors that are found in the passenger side footwell(top centerish behind the glovebox may be tucked under carpet in a little pocket)?

Also do you have the key turned to the "ON" psoition?

Good call asking the basic questions, you have definitely done this for a living at one point lol. Yes, I have the green connectors hooked together and ignition is in the on position (w/ fan cycling). I've uninstalled/reinstalled the drivers maybe 4 times along with ecuflash. I'm at the point of giving up :mad:

Don't give up just yet. I've been meaning to do screen shots of the procedures(for this and my other thread), but have been dealing with a few family emergencies(in other cities), so I haven't had time to get it done. There are a couple things that are easier to explain with pictures than words. I use StreetTuner-Advanced most of the time personally and I don't have my old laptop that has ECUflash with me, so I will get some screen shots when I'm at home Friday. I will then work them into another version of the walkthrough and post it up here.

If Learning view is working then ECUFlash should too. We just need to figure out which setting needs to be tweaked. Again, I don't have the tools or time to work with you today, but I will get you up and running when I get home and have a free minute so please hang in there just a little longer.

Good call asking the basic questions, you have definitely done this for a living at one point lol. Yes, I have the green connectors hooked together and ignition is in the on position (w/ fan cycling). I've uninstalled/reinstalled the drivers maybe 4 times along with ecuflash. I'm at the point of giving up :mad:
Let's kick this pig!

• Mega Users
I spent hours trying to get my VAG-COM cable to work with my Windows Vista OS. I fiddled with every possible thing. When i plugged the cable in, the laptop automatically installed the correct driver for the cable. The only thing that allowed me to flash correctly was downloading and using ECUflash version 1.29a. Also make sure the cable is securely connected. It's pretty flimsy and can feel "connected" when it's actually not.

I finally got mine to work with Vista! I posted in the local forum that I needed some help and I got the help I needed. A guy who tunes his own car came over and after a few minutes of troubleshooting he loaded the newest version of ecuflash and hooked up his tactrix cable and it worked fine. Plugged my vag com in and it worked! RR LV and ecuflash are now working perfectly.

I've got a EDM Impreza STi 2003 with ProDrive kit (including a new map).

Using the VagCom cable I managed to datalog with RR, EcuExplorer and LearningView.

Now I want to READ ONLY the current map (not writting yet).

For this I've connected the green plug under the steering wheel, connected the USB to the computer and turned the key to ON.

The yellow engine light was flashing and the pump was switching on and off. But, ECU FLASH couldn't read the ECU.

I'm working with the latest ECUFLASH version.

Any ideas?

O.K. so you've got an EDM(European? help me out) 2003 STi that you would like to READ the ECU off of. Correct?

Sounds like the cable is working fine as it is currently working with all other applications. So from here it looks like you need to also get another piece of hardware from what I can gather. If your STi isn't drive by wire; then you will need a "port initiator" that will pass the flashing voltage and end-line signal to the ECU. At least this is the case for USDM vehicles of the same year and model. Yours may be different, so you might want to scan the OpenECU forum for more info on your specific model.

Here is a link to the part that is needed for USDM vehicles:

http://www.tactrix.com/product_info.php?products_id=33

Check it out and let us know what you find...

Let's kick this pig!

It posted in the first(and other) posts that this cable WILL NOT WORK TO READ OR FLASH CAN-BUS ECU's. I believe that the Tactrix v2 cable is the only option for the CAN-BUS ECU's at the moment. Learning View actually reads a table from the ECU so I'm pretty sure it won't work. As for logging I'm not sure.
Let's kick this pig!

It posted in the first(and other) posts that this cable WILL NOT WORK TO READ OR FLASH CAN-BUS ECU's. I believe that the Tactrix v2 cable is the only option for the CAN-BUS ECU's at the moment. Learning View actually reads a table from the ECU so I'm pretty sure it won't work. As for logging I'm not sure.

I did read that. I didn't really consider LV or logging to be reading.

FWIW my 1.3 Tactrix cable works to do both on the CAN-BUS ECUs. If that is the case, will the VAG-COM also work?

I did read that. I didn't really consider LV or logging to be reading.

FWIW my 1.3 Tactrix cable works to do both on the CAN-BUS ECUs. If that is the case, will the VAG-COM also work?

I actually use my APv1 cable and ST-A to do everything on my car and rarely, if ever; use the VAG-COM cable for anything(other than to create these threads). I guess I did try to use this cable to log about a year ago on an 08 WRX and couldn't connect with it, but I didn't spend much time messing with it as someone else there had a Tactrix v2 cable that worked right off. Maybe someone else could give it a try and report back.

Is that v1.3 Tactrix cable a serial connection or a USB(tan or black)?

Let's kick this pig!

I actually use my APv1 cable and ST-A to do everything on my car and rarely, if ever; use the VAG-COM cable for anything(other than to create these threads). I guess I did try to use this cable to log about a year ago on an 08 WRX and couldn't connect with it, but I didn't spend much time messing with it as someone else there had a Tactrix v2 cable that worked right off. Maybe someone else could give it a try and report back.

Is that v1.3 Tactrix cable a serial connection or a USB(tan or black)?

black, and it is USB

• 2 weeks later...
O.K. so you've got an EDM(European? help me out) 2003 STi that you would like to READ the ECU off of. Correct?

Sounds like the cable is working fine as it is currently working with all other applications. So from here it looks like you need to also get another piece of hardware from what I can gather. If your STi isn't drive by wire; then you will need a "port initiator" that will pass the flashing voltage and end-line signal to the ECU. At least this is the case for USDM vehicles of the same year and model. Yours may be different, so you might want to scan the OpenECU forum for more info on your specific model.

Here is a link to the part that is needed for USDM vehicles:

http://www.tactrix.com/product_info.php?products_id=33

Check it out and let us know what you find...

Just got back to trying this.

Two questions:

1. Do I need this plug just to READ the ECU? I'm not trying to flash yet, just reading...

2. Any way I can make this plug in DIY method?

I tried today several things:

ECUFlash 1.42

ECUFlash 1.29a

With shorting the pins of the white terminal

without shorting the pins

clicking OK after switching the key to ON

Clicking OK BEFORE switching the key to ON

Here are the results:

1.29a DIDNT WORK AT ALL. Here is the error I got:

[01:12:01.640] Version 1.29.906

[01:12:01.656] 8 memory models read.

[01:12:02.921] 140 ROM metadata models read.

[01:12:02.921] checksum module "subarudbw" loaded.

[01:12:02.921] flashing tool "wrx02" loaded.

[01:12:02.921] flashing tool "wrx04" loaded.

[01:12:02.921] flashing tool "sti04" loaded.

[01:12:02.921] flashing tool "sti05" loaded.

[01:12:02.921] flashing tool "mitsukernel" loaded.

[01:12:02.921] flashing tool "mitsukernelocp" loaded.

[01:12:02.921] flashing tool "mitsubootloader" loaded.

[01:12:07.312] unable to open OpenPort device [ Serial ].

[01:12:07.312] unable to connect to vehicle interface.

With version 1.42 more luck. When I choose 2003-2005 NONUSDM, I get this error:

[12:40:59.718] Using interface USB <-> Serial

[12:41:01.875] denso02_bootloader_cmd_start

[12:41:03.109] denso02_bootloader_cmd_start

[12:41:04.343] denso02_bootloader_cmd_start

[12:41:05.578] denso02_bootloader_cmd_start

[12:41:06.812] denso02_bootloader_cmd_start

[12:41:07.250] kernel get version

[12:41:07.578] interface close

[12:41:07.578] interface close

When I choose 2004-2005 USDM WRX, here is what I get:

[12:40:48.875] Using interface USB <-> Serial

[12:40:50.000] kernel get version

[12:40:50.390] SSM2 init

[12:40:50.546] SSM2 ECU ID is 29 44 59 61 05

[12:40:52.578] interface close

[12:40:52.578] interface close

The white block has no effect at all.

Any ideas? I have the ProDrive kit (including ECU flash). I know that some have a problem reading it. What error should I get if it's locked?

• 2 weeks later...
I downloaded romraider and ecuflash, in romraider it keeps on telling me i need to download the definitions. and i did. but it keeps telling me i still need to do so. I dont understand what is going on

Same problem here on my Vista lap top. Used my Ol' XP laptop and works perfect!