LegacyGT.com

Using an Autonostics/Vag-Com Cable To Read/Flash ECU's

qikslvr

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
Just ordered may cable, put on ul headers/uppipe, gutted dp cat, and dropin K&N. I have RR and ECUflash and 6 or 7 maps, I have no cel, but how long is to long to wait for a tune. Runs good, loads more power just don't want to hurt anything. And should I go stg2 or stg1 right away with no tranny cooler yet.

For reference:

I first tried using the drivers provided with OpenEcu 1.29a for the cable. These worked fine with RomRaider's logger - but while OpenEcu would recognize a cable was connected by the read button being active it, would tell me that it was unable to connect to OpenPort. I uninstalled the drivers and tried the ones linked to on the first page here with the same results, ensuring correct baud rate and trying several different ports

So, I uninstalled the drivers from the port and uninstalled OpenEcu 1.29a. I installed OpenEcu 1.42.2595, at the time most current, and its openport drivers. Rebooted, and OpenEcu was able to read my ECU without problem!

This is using the blue connector with silver wire cable

EDIT:

Successfully flashed new map with latest version of OpenECU and logged with RomRaider without issue

Edited by AndrewZ

• 4 weeks later...
Thanks for the write-up!

I got the "alpha-bid" cable off of ebay was was able to get it to work using EcuFlash 1.29a

Download available here:

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=VBFURU6Z

Got everything up and running ( alpha-bid cable ) thx to the thread and this post/Silverstar.

Reading, Writing, Logging like a foo now. Appreciate the info everyone!

Edited by ktmrider

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not familiar with elm cable software but I'm familiar with windows including Windows 7. The first thing that comes to mind is try running the software under XP mode, this allows software that was designed to run on Windows XP to run on windows 7. To do this you have to do a few thing which is is a lot to explain, just do a quick google search of Windows 7 XP mode and that should get you started but unfortunately this only works on Professional, Enterprise, or Ultimate editions.

Also I would like to say that those cheap vag-com cables off ebay was the best $13 Ive ever spent.

I'm hungry:bbq:This burger is never gonna cook.

• 2 months later...

sooo can someone run outside for me and snap a pic of the green connectors under the glove box? I'm getting a "unable to connect to vehicle interface" error and I suspect this may be the issue.

I can't find them. I do see where the previous owner might have cut a wire and taped it, which is running to the ecu, and i'm PRAYING this isn't the wires that were cut. Any help is appreciated!

• 1 month later...

Hi!

I know that i'm on a Legacy forum but maybe you could help me with the VAG-COM cable..

I have a WRX 2007 USDM and using the VAG-COM cable, i'm able to datalog with RomRaider....and Learning View is working well too...

But i'm unable to use EcuFlash..

I connect the 2 green connectors and when I try to read the Ecu, it writes this is the log window:

ssm2_init

ssm2_init

ssm2_init

ssm2_init

ssm2_init

ssm2_init

ssm2_init

ssm2_init

ssm2_init

ssm2_init

kernel get version

validating denso kernel ram area addr: FFFF0000 len: 0008

and then pop this error: An error occured. See the log for details.

In the .xml of my ecu in the rommetadata (A8DK100X.xml), the flash method is sti05.....so I choose 2005-2006 Subaru DBW models WRX/STI/FXT/LGT/Baja

Anyone know what i'm doing wrong??

btw I tried EcuFlash 1.29a and the latest version too...:confused:

thanks!!

Edited by wrx07ltd

• 3 months later...
Hey Y'all ... I have a bit of a problem going on here and I am trying to figure out if my ECU is hosed or if it is just wiped clean or something else I have not thought of yet. It is showing a "er 55" code on the Speedo and it will not start ... it will crank fine. The car was in many pieces for months and the battery was not connected ... so maybe the ECU has lost its programing? Any thoughts?

• 2 weeks later...

My 2005 OBXT was a little tricky to get working with my Vag-Com (eBay) cable and ECUFlash. I tried all the iterations, removing drivers, reinstalling drivers, rebooting, every combination I could think of. All I could get was an error that read blah blah blah FFFF0000 or FFFF3000 and len something or another. Hmmmm.... So I searched this site and waded through lots of threads and myriad posts. Finally I found a few guys commenting that the green plug on many North American cars are on the passenger side, not the drivers side. Well duh, OK. Turns out my car HAS BOTH. I'd been hooked in with the left plugs connected. EHNT. Nope. Got under the carpet, next to the tranny housing up at the firewall on the passenger side, and there they were. After that, ECUFLASH BLISS!!!

So I just thought I'd post up on my little brain fart, hopefully save a couple folks a few follicles. Some cars have green plugs on BOTH sides of the car (in North America). Hopefully, you already knew that!

• 4 weeks later...
Got everything up and running ( alpha-bid cable ) thx to the thread and this post/Silverstar.

Reading, Writing, Logging like a foo now. Appreciate the info everyone!

+1 here. (ebay cable- blue odbII connector/silver cable)

Could use Romraider, but not ecuflash, it was reading "unable to connect to vehicle interface"

Uninstalled ECUflash 1.42 and installed 1.29 version. Works perfect, now I'm able to Read, Write, Test and Compare thru ECUflash.

also using cable drivers found on link in first page of this thread.

so this is the right one? http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/KKL-VAG-COM-CABLE-409-1-OBDII-OBD2-OBD-II-2-USB-VW-AUDI-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem3cb4432fb5QQitemZ260722339765QQptZMotorsQ5fAutomotiveQ5fTools

this tuning stuff has me scratching my head. I have a friend doing the logging and loading, I just need to get the right stuff.

so this is the right one? http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/KKL-VAG-COM-CABLE-409-1-OBDII-OBD2-OBD-II-2-USB-VW-AUDI-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem3cb4432fb5QQitemZ260722339765QQptZMotorsQ5fAutomotiveQ5fTools

this tuning stuff has me scratching my head. I have a friend doing the logging and loading, I just need to get the right stuff.

Yes, that cable will work

• 2 weeks later...

I was able to read my Rom correctly (took a bit) and save the file. Does this mean I should be able to write? (Looking into an infamous1 tune).

Also, this has the potential to really screw crap up. What is the "oh sh**" procedure if something goes wrong. Does it even happen often? I'd like to get an infamous1 tune, rather not get a local tuner since he is trusted and for sure knows the LGT tricks (#2 cylinder timing ...etc).

Like flashing a bios or rom on my phone, always makes me very nervous. Car flash , much more is at stake! But much more to gain!

Edited by ObiWanToby

I need help with ecuflash!

I have a 2005 LGT 5-speed:

Using Windows XP, ecuflash 1.29a with vag com cable. I have disabled all other ports except the usb port im using and changed the baud rate to 4800.

Under both learning view and RomRaider I can connect to the ecu, but under ecuflash I have no vehicle interface. When i open ecuflash the 4 chips at the top for read/write/test/compare are grayed out and cannot be selected.

Has anyone had this issue or can shed some light on this situation?

I was able to read my Rom correctly (took a bit) and save the file. Does this mean I should be able to write? (Looking into an infamous1 tune).

Yup, you should be able to write if you can read.

Also, this has the potential to really screw crap up. What is the "oh sh**" procedure if something goes wrong. Does it even happen often? I'd like to get an infamous1 tune, rather not get a local tuner since he is trusted and for sure knows the LGT tricks (#2 cylinder timing ...etc).

Like flashing a bios or rom on my phone, always makes me very nervous. Car flash , much more is at stake! But much more to gain!

By "something goes wrong" I assume you mean bricking your ECU, as opposed to the tune messing up your engine.

Bricked ECUs are VERY rare. Nearly every time someone has a problem writing to their ECU, it simply doesn't work at all, i.e. EcuFlash fails to bootstrap the ECU.

I really wouldn't worry about it. Just make sure your laptop has plenty of juice left in its battery, do not plug it into any in-car power outlets / cigarette lighters, and make sure you have enough free resources for EcuFlash to run smoothly.

Well I was able to round up a newer laptop with vista and it had no issues at all. Still wish I could figure out the other XP platform if anyone had any ideas

My eBay VAG-COM KKL cable worked with the latest version of EcuFlash as long as I used the included OpenPort-branded drivers, NOT the FTDI-branded drivers.

Since you're using EcuFlash 1.29a I assume you're using the FTDI-branded drivers right now. So I suggest doing the following:

1. Plug in the KKL cable.
  2. Open Device Manager.
  3. Uninstall the cable's COM port. If it has an entry in the USB Controllers section delete that too. (I forget if it does or not.)
  4. Close Device Manager.
  5. Open Add or Remove Programs.
  6. Uninstall EcuFlash.
  7. Uninstall all FTDI and/or OpenPort driver entries. There will be at least two, maybe three.
  8. Close Add or Remove Programs.
  9. Unplug the KKL cable.
  10. Reboot.
  11. If the C:\Program Files\OpenECU directory still exists, delete it. (Or wherever you installed EcuFlash to.)
  12. Install the latest version of EcuFlash. (The latest stable release is 1.42.2595 as of this writing.)
  13. When the installation dialogs for the OpenPort drivers pop up as part of installing EcuFlash, install them too.

Btw the latest beta version of EcuFlash works well in my experience, but most of the improvements are for either OpenPort 2.0 users or Mitsubishi's, so you should probably stick to the stable release.

Edited by matt

Ok so I went out and bought a new laptop (I was due for one). It has windows 7 home premium. I cannot get this thing to work. When i download ecuflash 1.29a i get a 64bit fault (DPInst.exe) and I have searched to no avail on that one. I thought about running it in xp mode but home premium does not come with that. I tried downloading the newer version of ecuflash but none of them work, 1.34 or 1.42. I am not have very good luck with this vag-com cable!

I saw another post with this similar problem on lgt, but no one on there had come to any conclusions either.