LegacyGT.com

Using an Autonostics/Vag-Com Cable To Read/Flash ECU's

qikslvr

Sorry I've been MIA for a while. Went on vacation. Thanks for helping each other out while I was gone. Blue cable should work using these instructions as that is the cable I used when I developed the write-up. Most problems do originate from improper driver install, COM Port configuration(BAUD rate, not bit rate), vehicle def selection or from doing instructed steps out of sequence.

There seems to be an issue with the links to the RR archive and the older versions of software. I'll look into it and see what I can figure out.

Let's kick this pig!

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry I've been MIA for a while. Went on vacation. Thanks for helping each other out while I was gone. Blue cable should work using these instructions as that is the cable I used when I developed the write-up. Most problems do originate from improper driver install, COM Port configuration(BAUD rate, not bit rate), vehicle def selection or from doing instructed steps out of sequence.

There seems to be an issue with the links to the RR archive and the older versions of software. I'll look into it and see what I can figure out.

To me it seems that there's 2 options:

1. Older ECUFlash with FTDI drivers.

2. Latest ECUFlash with Tactrix drivers.

Your instructions are for #1, but as you mentioned above, it's a huge PITA to get older version of ECUFlash.

#2 seems very odd, but I'd like to try it, since I got #1 working. Can anybody who's doing #2 link me to the appropriate Tactrix drivers please?

Thanks!

-Sergei

Wait a minute, wasn't I the one that first tried the vagcom cable a few years ago and reported that it worked? Quicksilver just did all the hard work in making a write up:) It was a PITA to get it to connect but it ultimately worked. RR works flawlessly.

Thanks quicksilver for the write up!

Wait a minute, wasn't I the one that first tried the vagcom cable a few years ago and reported that it worked? Quicksilver just did all the hard work in making a write up:) It was a PITA to get it to connect but it ultimately worked. RR works flawlessly.

Thanks quicksilver for the write up!

Blasphemy...

I've gotten it to work great with the logger, but I keep having problems with the ECUFlash. Not exactly sure whats happening with it all, but I'm going to wipe my laptop and restart all this stuff sometime to see if that fixes it.

If I pass you on the right, I'm flipping you off.

You may have been the first to buy and get the cheap cables to work. I've never claimed to be the first;). I'm just the guy who took the time to write it all down and post it up for everyone to reference.

As a matter of fact. I have rarely used my cable or ECUflash(maybe twice) as I am an APv1 cable and StreetTuner-Advanced user personally, so most of what I spew out is from memory. It just happens that in a former life/career I was a Network Admin/Configuration Analyst who was responsible for developing bullet-proof/idiot-proof documentation for manually installing/configuring about 50 software packages identically on several thousand desktops with different OS/hardware setups. This was back in the days before imaging software and push technology were developed. Maybe I should include step by step screen shots too.

The most important thing to remember here is that if one of the programs work; then the other should too. It's just a matter of procedure.

Edited by qikslvr
Let's kick this pig!

I have just my VAG-COM cable from Hong Kong ($16US delivered) to read the ROM of my 04 ADM Liberty GT (Same spec as JDM Legacy GT). I was using ECUFlash V1.38 as I could not get an earlier copy than that, and it read fine.

Thanks for the writeup!

Any hints when it comes to flashing on another map?

Just make sure it's the right map. Then just follow the same instructions except you will click the "Write" button instead of the "READ" button. You may also want to perform a "test write" before you commit to the flash.
Let's kick this pig!

i should now be considered stage 2 thanks to infamous tuning!!! i used ecuflash 1.29 and i finaly got wuthaheck to do & even my anoying check engine light is now off (since DP is catless & UP w/ no egt). ALL thanks to infamous (oh so helpful) and the creator of this post!!!! wooo wooo:whore::munch: Edited by jus2phast4uLGT

i should now be considered stage 2 thanks to infamous tuning!!! i used ecuflash 1.29 and i finaly got wuthaheck to do & even my anoying check engine light is now off (since DP is catless & UP w/ no egt). ALL thanks to infamous (oh so helpful) and the creator of this post!!!! wooo wooo:whore::munch:

Gratz... I'm talking to infamous at the moment about getting a tune, hopefully I'll be running quick again soon :)

If I pass you on the right, I'm flipping you off.

• 1 month later...
does anyone have a contact for Autonostics? I purchased my cable about a month ago and I got no shipping confirmation and can't get any support from them via e-mail.

I made the same mistake as you. File a dispute with your credit card company or PayPal (depending on how you paid). You'll never actually see the cable from them.

For some reason Autnostics just stopped giving a shit at the beginning of this year, and several memebers, including myself bought the cable directly from their website and never received it. Even after numerous phone calls and e-mails to the company.

I got my money back from PayPal, and I would suggest you do the same. Then go on eBay and buy the cable there.

-Sergei

Will do. Will somebody please post a good link to a retailer/Ebayer that will actually send you something when you give them money:).

It's difficult to post a single link to eBay because those URL's become invalid once listings expire. Here's a current example: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/USB-Cable-KKL-409-1-VW-AUDI-OBD2-OBD-OBDII-VAG-COM-409_W0QQitemZ320422921151QQcmdZViewItemQQptZMotors_Automotive_Tools?hash=item4a9ab1c3bf&_trksid=p4506.c0.m245

Really, somebody would just need to search "vag-com" on eBay. There's a ton of them out there. Looks like there are usually 2 version, a "KKL" unit and a "K-CAN" unit. I'm pretty sure the one I'm using is the KKL, but newer Legacies might need to CAN interface.

-Sergei

I made the same mistake as you. File a dispute with your credit card company or PayPal (depending on how you paid). You'll never actually see the cable from them.

For some reason Autnostics just stopped giving a shit at the beginning of this year, and several memebers, including myself bought the cable directly from their website and never received it. Even after numerous phone calls and e-mails to the company.

I got my money back from PayPal, and I would suggest you do the same. Then go on eBay and buy the cable there.

-Sergei

I am so upset that i lost my money. Could you advise how to obtain back my money from Paypal?

I downloaded romraider and ecuflash, in romraider it keeps on telling me i need to download the definitions. and i did. but it keeps telling me i still need to do so. I dont understand what is going on

I had the same issue on Windows 7. Never had this problem on Win XP. Not sure what causes it. Try installing RR. If that doesn't work, try diff comp/OS.

-Sergei

I downloaded romraider and ecuflash, in romraider it keeps on telling me i need to download the definitions. and i did. but it keeps telling me i still need to do so. I dont understand what is going on

After you update or download the definitions; you need to go find where they were downloaded to, unzip them if necessary and move the resulting files to the RR directory. The other option is to select "ECU definitions location" from the menu and then browse to the folder where the downloaded them to. You can't just download them and let RR find them; it's not that smart;).

Let's kick this pig!