LegacyGT.com

Even more bad news for the Outback uglier and no XT

ABPillinois

535xi 6MT only. Bit large but not too bad.

I tested one yesterday. Way Wayyyy too big. At least for me. My comment to the sales rep was" I feel I should sound three long blasts on the horn before I pull away from the curb" ( nautical rules of the road).:lol::mad:

"Belief does not make truth. Evidence makes truth. And belief does not make evidence."

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Wow, good thing I've only got 41K on my '05 GT wagon because if this is the direction that Subaru is going for design, styling and engine choices, I'm completely done with Subaru after my GT wagon has ended its useful life. Lame, homogenized styling, crap engine choices if you want tuneable power, thats it I'm pulling the rip cord...

That's a good question. I am no fan of CVTs having watched a friend's tribulations with his Audi, but I suppose it's just an electronic override which trick the trans into a lower/higher range. Might be useful I suppose, but I'd rather have a MT or six speed auto with rev matching. In any event, 80% of the buyers probably don't know or care.

How does that work? The point of a CVT is that it does the 'shifting' continuously, so to say. It seems like shifting would take the point out of a CVT.

It's a gimic, just like any shiftable autobox that isn't a DSG. My dad had a twin turbo A6, one of the fastest, best handling cars I have ever driven. The tiptronic 5 speed was a joke. Fun for a couple of gears, but nothing like a stick in your right hand.

The one continous, powerful Rev of the CVT is half the fun!...oh and saving money on gas.

Subaru has a video on their web site about this.

Go to http://www.subaru.com/vehicles/legacy2010.html and look for the video links (sorry, I couldn't find a direct one).

Thanks for the link. I watched the video and yeah that's retarded :lol:

This little consumer gimmick of a shiftable CVT is stupid and completely takes the point out of that type of transmission.

As somebody above said, it's just a way to get the uneducated car consumer seem impressed by Subaru's technological gadgetry.

that was my assessment...

it felt like no matter how hard I tried the car was intentionally forcing itself out of optimal "gear."

"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." - Plato

it makes people feel sporty... and hides the fact (to some) that their car is in fact.. driven by a rubber band.

Chain-driven, not rubber bands.

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.autoblog.com/media/2009/03/2010_lg0013_h.jpg

Wow, good thing I've only got 41K on my '05 GT wagon because if this is the direction that Subaru is going for design, styling and engine choices, I'm completely done with Subaru after my GT wagon has ended its useful life. Lame, homogenized styling, crap engine choices if you want tuneable power, thats it I'm pulling the rip cord...

Same here with 23k miles on my 05!!!!

Flavio Zanetti

Boston, MA

I don't know...ask General Motors if this kind of planning ever worked for them...

Badge engineering is a lot different from 3 separate products with their own identities. For all intents and purposes, it's really just the Outback and Forester. The Tribeca is a non issue.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

+1 I agree 100%. But my '05 LGT wagon 5Mt only has 26K on it. :)

It's going into the garage this week for summer storage. Only to be used occassionally for hauling stuff and for vacation travel this summer. In November I'll bring it back out. Should last a good 10-15 years if I use it like this..

+1 I agree 100%. But my '05 LGT wagon 5Mt only has 26K on it. :)

It's going into the garage this week for summer storage. Only to be used occassionally for hauling stuff and for vacation travel this summer. In November I'll bring it back out. Should last a good 10-15 years if I use it like this..

What do you drive during the summer then?

Flavio Zanetti

Boston, MA

Archived