LegacyGT.com

Even more bad news for the Outback uglier and no XT

ABPillinois

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The rails become the crossbars. They swing from one side and lock onto the other. you can see in this picture the free end of the railing on the far side towards the front of the car. Looks like they will be spaced pretty wide.

http://john-r-coughlin.com/pictures/legacy/outback1.jpg

*edit..

racks in action

http://i43.tinypic.com/dd2hpl.jpg

can't wait to see how all this works in winter. "uhh, the crossbars are frozen and I can't move them. Any ideas ? " :rolleyes:

I have both crossbars in the back of my LGT wagon. Put them on when needed, keep them off the roof otherwise...

2005 LGT Wagon Limited 6 MT RBP Stage 2 - 248K

2007 B9 Tribeca Limited DGM - 258K

SOLD - 2005 OB Limited 5 MT Silver - 245K

SOLD - 2010 OB 6 MT Silver - 205K

I have a feeling the Outback we were shown so far is USDM version. ROW should be different - same deal as with as USDM Legacy sedan.

I always thought the Legacy wagons looked better than all the others because the glass continued back across the D pillar. Losing that design element makes it look like every other stodgy wagon and SUV out there.

Evolution. I don't see the Audi comparision. To me, the Outback still looks like (dare I say it) a station wagon that has a fantastic AWD system and sits a little higher. It will look bigger, because it is! I'm sure that my son will love the extra leg room in the back. Especialy when mommy wants to crank the passenger seat the whole way back and take a nap.

I posted this on the Legacy thread, but the 2001 Outback, that I had, was the best vehicle in the snow that I have ever owned. I suspect this will be the same. As for the roof rack, mine will be out all winter long. A pod is attached all the time, when it starts snowing.

I like it...............

Well I'm glad I have a LGT wagon because I prefer a wagon to all the SUV and CUV out there. But let's face it, Subaru is going for the mainstream look...blah styling like camrys etc...

Wagons are not something the regular Joe is attracted too and a sporty version has even less chance to sell. We have to remember that people that like wagons equipped with turbos and a manual transmission are more of a niche market in North America than the general public. So they got rid of the turbo.

Doesn't make me happy but it makes sense business wise.

I don't mind the ugliness...I mind the loss of all the classic Subaru design cues - blacked-out pillars that give a floating-roof effect, changes to the interior door handles, frameless windows, canted IP (I don't like the top-heavy trend that's going on nowadays), etc. etc.

Hopefully the next redesign will give us something more aligned with classical Subaru principles.

On the other hand, the six-speed and extra width are nice.

this reminds me of a quote from futurama.

"we'll market it as New Slurm. Then, when everyone hates it, we'll bring back Classic Slurm and make billions!"

"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." - Plato

Next car will definately NOT be a Outback..hell probably wont even be a Subaru.

No manual on the 6,no turbo,CVT,electronic push button e-brake.What's the point of losing the performance options if the efficiency levels all have changed little?

Way to do your homework Subaru.

If Subaru wanted to get away from the station wagon image they wouldn't have continued with what is essentially a Legacy wagon on stilts for the Outback.

I don't believe that Subaru wanted to get away from the station wagon image. I belive to stay competitive with the Legacy/Outback they needed to go bigger. The current Legacy is a little small, if you look at the dimentions it's not much bigger than the new Impreza. Families want room when traveling, and its obvious that the Accord/Camry size works.

I'm sorry to those who don't like the larger size, it may or may not be as sporty but business is business. Subaru needs to put themselves in position to sell as many as possible. If this means going larger and more mainstream, thats what they do. And of course not everyone is going to be happy with the decisions made.

I seem to rememeber the Impreza/WRX/STI getting horrible reviews by bloggers. I don't know the numbers, but they seem to be selling. I see quite a few Imprezas in my area. No not many WRX/STI but, honestly in the grand sales scheme how many "high proformance" versions were they planning on selling. The same with Legacy/Outback, most of the sales are common, everyday, boring people and families. They have to try to appease the masses.

Sorry, I've been on a rant! Sorry, I'm sure someone will take exception with what I've said. And I'm not trying to piss off anyone.............:p

We travel in our Tribecca, 50,000 miles worth. I have also traveled in an Outback. I would have liked to take an Outback to Colorado and to Florida this year (I have a LGT sedan, not an Outback) But, I think the current Legacy/Outback is a bit to small for the family. Even when we use the pod. I have been looking forward to a larger Legacy/Outback for a while. We take a lot of crap with us, I don't like to, but it keeps the wife and kid happy............

I also suspect that the dicision for no Legacy wagon was driven by sales. My guess is that most Legacy sales are for the sedan, and most Ouback sales are for the wagon. So, dropping the Legacy wagon and the Outback sedan makes sense to them. They probably weighed the risks of pissing off some people and made the decision.

Now, don't anyone get me wrong. There are things about the 2010 Legacy/Outback that I don't like.

--- The hugemungus fenders. I don't like that trend in the whole auto industry and Subaru bought

in to it.

--- The grill on both could be better

--- The GT version could still be sportyier

--- Lack of 5EAT in the GT. Sorry, I'm lazy!

--- Lack of turbo in some models. I like my turbo, but I thing I'll like the 3.6L

But, I keep saying EVOLUTION

Looks like Subaru doesn't have a car in its line-up for me. Need AWD, the utility of a wagon, but want performance. If the Forester XT had 5-speed manual, I'd get some bigger wheels, lower it, get some side skirts, etc. and approximate my own Forester XTI. With a 4-speed manual, not worth my while.

And now it appears there'll be no Legacy Wagon, and no Outback XT? WTF.I'd buy an STi, but it doesn't have enough cargo room. So basically, Subaru is giving me the middle finger.

Looks like my choices are: buy a used '08 Legacy GT Wagon, or cough up more dough for an S6 Avant, which is probably less reliable than a Subaru. I WANT to buy a Subaru, but the company is giving me zero options. If they made a Forester STi like the XTi, I'd spend whatever the sticker price was. But right now, there's nothing in the Subaru family for me. What a shame.

I should clarify that I have always thought the Outback should have been a seperate body from the Legacy, but not at the expense of the Legacy wagon :(

The new Outback is again a Legacy wagon on stilts. God damnit, Subaru, just make a slightly larger Tribeca, keep the Forester, make the Outback a step somwehere between the Forester and the Tribeca and make a proper Legacy wagon.

As it stands now, anyone who wants utility from a Subaru needs to get a CUV/SUV. Why no wagon like the last 18 years?

18? More like 35-36...

I also suspect that the dicision for no Legacy wagon was driven by sales. My guess is that most Legacy sales are for the sedan, and most Ouback sales are for the wagon. So, dropping the Legacy wagon and the Outback sedan makes sense to them.

I'd say it's very likely that SOA and FHI had different opinions about what Subaru should be in US and Canada. Knowing that all business decisions are made about 3-4 years before general public sees the result, it is not impossible that SOA didn't sell Legacy Wagon the way they could (I don't want to say they sabotaged it but the net effect is the same). I know myself how hard it was to find one, not even mentioning the options. My nearest dealer even told me Subaru does not make one (May of 2007).

SOA probably knew what 2010 Legacy should be (from their point of view) by then. So they just paved the road for new gen and removed what was in the way. The BP by itself has nothing to do with what sales figures were.

All the hate for Legacy Wagon coming from Cherry Hill just speaks for itself.

Now that I have 2 small kids and my 2002 WRX is a little small, I was hoping for some form of a new Legacy GT wagon. I looked at the photos of the new Outback and I don't really like it. No turbo engine option would keep me from buying it even if I did like the looks.

I am not estatic about the looks but I do feel tey work better than the sedan. The lack of a turbo is a big problem for me. With the NA motors there are not many options mod wise that don't cost an arm and a leg and only give you 5-10 hp.

Also, don't feel comfortable with the 3.6 yet. I have a '02 2.5 with piston slap that sounds like a diesel, waiting for the head gaskets to pop and you want me to buy another with thinner cylinder liners????

Think I will wait a bit more. Anyone confirm drivetrains? Any models come with rear LSD?

Peace,

Greg

Archived