LegacyGT.com

Even more bad news for the Outback uglier and no XT

ABPillinois

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would assume that the side rails are that wide because of the new "retractable" cross bars. It looks like the cross bars pivot and tuck under the side rails. Let's just say front one pivots back and under left side, rear one pivots forward and under right side one. Either that or you unattach them and reattach them under the side rails, can't really see that being called retractable. They do not appear to "retract" into the roof. It would look worse with a standard width side rail and a standard width cross bar trying to hide under it. Side rail had to become as fat as the cross bar.

Definately big and you can't miss them. I would assume they are very functional.

Where is the turbo love............

Peace,

Greg

OK, so every other Outback has been a Legacy on stilts with some body cladding.

This... thing... doesn't look like an Outback. It looks like they designed a new SUV. Why? Does this thing really appeal to Outback owners?

OK, so every other Outback has been a Legacy on stilts with some body cladding.

This... thing... doesn't look like an Outback. It looks like they designed a new SUV. Why? Does this thing really appeal to Outback owners?

You bet it does, judging by the early responses on this Outback-specific site.

http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=172742#post172742

http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=16447&perpage=20&pagenumber=4

Bob

The thing I don't get though is, like said earlier, it's a stretched Forester. Or a squished Tribecca. However you want to look at it. It's just yet another SUV rather then something "different".

Admittedly I would be more likely to drive this then the current gen Outback, but it seems like such a departure from previous Outbacks.

The thing I don't get though is, like said earlier, it's a stretched Forester. Or a squished Tribecca. However you want to look at it. It's just yet another SUV rather then something "different".

Admittedly I would be more likely to drive this then the current gen Outback, but it seems like such a departure from previous Outbacks.

I disagree. It's a natural evolution of the line.

Bob

http://images.dealer.com/autodata/us/640/2009/USB90SUS061A0/90SUGEB3.JPG

http://www.edmunds.com/pictures/VEHICLE/2009/Subaru/2009.subaru.forester.20224392-396x249.jpg

I really don't see a whole lot of difference. So you get a Forester or a stretched forester or a tall forester. I don't get it

LOL:lol::lol: My thoughts EXACTLY!!

I actually like it - mostly because of the utility/practicality aspect and increased size. The Legacy though...ugh.

Same here. Would be perfect to load up with crap, have 3-4 adult passengers, take a trip up to the mountains, and kick ass in backwoods muddy dirt roads.

I need to see a size comparison to the previous Outback. The whole point of the Outback was that it wasn't an SUV. You can argue about the "natural evolution" of the line, etc, etc... but the fact of the matter is, if this thing is as big as it looks, it's not an Outback!

Jesus from the looks of things on various forums, Subaru is about to lose a hell of a lot of customers... and I might be one of them.

I need to see a size comparison to the previous Outback. The whole point of the Outback was that it wasn't an SUV. You can argue about the "natural evolution" of the line, etc, etc... but the fact of the matter is, if this thing is as big as it looks, it's not an Outback!

Jesus from the looks of things on various forums, Subaru is about to lose a hell of a lot of customers... and I might be one of them.

It's shorter, wider, and taller than the previous outback

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

If someone finds a picture of the Legacy Wagon (you know the one the rest of the world will be getting - at least I hope they still are - are they??) please post it, I am now officially curious how it will look :)

What's the point of even having the roof rack rails if you can't get enough front to back crossbar spread to really put anything up there? From the images, the open space beneath the rack rails is very limited to a narrow zone between the black plastic "tower" / mounting points. Crossbar spread helps so much with stability when hauling kayaks, etc.

The lack of an XT model with 6-spd manual is a minus in my book for those that use the Outback to haul gear and do things outdoors (kayaking, mtn biking, etc).

What's the point of even having the roof rack rails if you can't get enough front to back crossbar spread to really put anything up there? From the images, the open space beneath the rack rails is very limited to a narrow zone between the black plastic "tower" / mounting points. Crossbar spread helps so much with stability when hauling kayaks, etc.

The lack of an XT model with 6-spd manual is a minus in my book for those that use the Outback to haul gear and do things outdoors (kayaking, mtn biking, etc).

The rails become the crossbars. They swing from one side and lock onto the other. you can see in this picture the free end of the railing on the far side towards the front of the car. Looks like they will be spaced pretty wide.

http://john-r-coughlin.com/pictures/legacy/outback1.jpg

*edit..

racks in action

http://i43.tinypic.com/dd2hpl.jpg

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Archived