LegacyGT.com

Even more bad news for the Outback uglier and no XT

ABPillinois

I do feel tey work better than the sedan.

I agree. Subaru is going back to the previous designs in my eye; where the outback looked better than the legacy.

Ben (2014 Outback SAP w/ eyesite, 2014 Tribeca Limited, 2006 LGT limited sedan)

Subaru Ambassador PNW

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

BTW, It sure is ugly. I'd rather go with the new forester. Subaru is really testing us loyal customers with some of the designs they have been presenting over the past few years.

It seems that they cannot come to any kind of consensus internally over how the brand should be styled, marketed etc. Pick one and stick with it!!!!! Geez!

+1^ Its been pretty obvious since 2005 that they really have no idea what to do with the Legacy line. Its been one big experiment for them and the 2010 sedan is just the current "um lets try this" moment.

They know what they want for the Outback I think. They want it bigger and more Volvo wagon-ish. Mission accomplished.

The Legacy on the other hand is giving them fits. Its like well we tried promoting the GT and sales were not great (Forester great) so lets promote the 6 banger instead and choke GT sales with an MT only deal and see what happens. They are clearly going after the V6 Altima, V6 Accord, V6 Camry buyers who probably have a negative view of Turbos.

When I was ready to purchase this Subaru, I was shocked to find the GT Wagon was discontinued after urging two of my friends to buy one. So, I got an Outback XT reluctantly. Now, ready for a 2010, I find the XT is no longer available. I'm going to write them and tell them just how very easy they have made my decision to keep my 06 XT for many years more. Flattening the line up and dumbing it down may save pennies but it loses customers. I'm very disappointed. Rick D.

You couldn't give me car for free, ugly. Same with the new legacy. I have 106,000 miles on my 05 GT Wagon, I'll keep it for a few more years, then look for a used Audi.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

this reminds me of a quote from futurama.

"we'll market it as New Slurm. Then, when everyone hates it, we'll bring back Classic Slurm and make billions!"

Hahahahaha, touche. It sure did work for Coke didn't it?

You all seem disheartened by the lack of turbo option. But did anyone consider that perhaps Subaru has something better planned up their sleeve and only kept the Legacy GT (with turbo) to satiate the fanboys here? We already know that direct injection is coming from Toyota with the Toyota-Subaru sports coupe. Im just speculating but perhaps such an option is coming to the Outback and Subaru is simply waiting and building up demand for an XT.

When I was ready to purchase this Subaru, I was shocked to find the GT Wagon was discontinued after urging two of my friends to buy one. So, I got an Outback XT reluctantly. Now, ready for a 2010, I find the XT is no longer available. I'm going to write them and tell them just how very easy they have made my decision to keep my 06 XT for many years more. Flattening the line up and dumbing it down may save pennies but it loses customers. I'm very disappointed. Rick D.

Since Subaru is the only company that hasn't seen it's overall sale number plunge, I think they don't give a crap what we are thinking about them. I will not be writing letters but I'll buy another brand....that hurts them more.

Maybe someday when they are ready to have once again vehicles for families that are fun and sporty they will see me in their showrooms. Until then, my next car will not be a Toyota with a Subaru badge on it.

Um, what did they do there? :lol:

I was referring to that dumb-looking fake aluminum(?) "skid plate" under the front bumper...I think the (now extinct) Audi Allroad was the first to have it, now there are more, including a Volvo wagon/SUV.

To hope for a charged H6 after this downgrade of tho Outback and definitly the Legacy is kind of funny. Won´t happen period. It would be rediculus actually, even that I would buy one right away and some other entusiasts.

Actually is quite funny just to call a budget japanese soccer shuttle car a "GT" as it looks now.

SOA has turned full circle in what 3-4 years? They went from near-lux with a corporate push into the lux segment to decontenting because they felt the cars had too much options. The problem is they decontented stuff that had become basic standard stuff to many because we had gotten used to. Maybe in another 2-3 they can turn it back around. They definately more quick.

The turbo motors just have soo much more potential. The NA motors are too expensive for power options.

Peace,

Greg

I actually like it. Not bad Subaru. Much better than the Legacy Sedan. Lots of utility and plenty of ground clearance for people who actually take their vehicles offroad. //
Just where do such people take a vehicle "off road" with no low range and no locking center differential?

Who Dares Wins

スバル

"off road"=gravel driveway to them. Just like the forrester "ride out" commercial where the woman drives into a SWAMP with her forrester to take pictures of birds.

yea.. that'll go over REAL well. subaru AWD is good.. but its no 4wd truck/suv. (at least the usdm ones arent)

"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." - Plato

Actually they do quite well in slightly more challenging situations. Picture deep snow and motocross whoops, 6 inches of mud behind the barn and various other situations.

I still really really dislike the new outback. That's coming from a guy who actually kinda likes the new legacy.

You couldn't give me car for free, ugly. Same with the new legacy. I have 106,000 miles on my 05 GT Wagon, I'll keep it for a few more years, then look for a used Audi.

C'mon..how do you really feel? I am liking it, not for me, but I think this is the evolutionary progression for the Outback. When I was selling Subes, the biggest complaint is the car was about 7/8 the size it could be. This is going to fill that void. IMHO, this will be the best selling generation of Outbacks yet. On that note, I will be looking for a used 05-07 LEg SW to replace my 09 Forester when the lease matures.

Now that I have 2 small kids and my 2002 WRX is a little small, I was hoping for some form of a new Legacy GT wagon. I looked at the photos of the new Outback and I don't really like it. No turbo engine option would keep me from buying it even if I did like the looks.
Have you driven a 3.0 or 3.6 equipped car?

Just about all the competitors in that market segment use 6's.

Two kids fit in a new WRX just fine. Three fit, as well.

Who Dares Wins

スバル

Think I'm in the same boat as you, the new Legacy is just wrong and the Outback, well, I'm a bit speechless, but if there was a smily-face for 'baaarrrfff' I'd use it! :rolleyes:

How is it that Audi's just seem to get progress and get better looking with ever new model year, but Subaru can manage to take one gigantic step backwards?!? I guess those Germans design with intention, whereas I think Subaru just happened to get lucky with there '05-09 model line of Legacy's. :confused:

I wrote the following to several SNA and other execs:

I have received a press release concerning the 2010 Legacy Outback. I am disappointed the lineup contains no XP turbocharged model as I currently own. I had anticipated purchasing a 2010 model XP in the fall but will not now do so.

I have the sense that Subaru North America is attempting to homogenize the model line up and target the crossover population. I suggest to you there is peril in that course. In my opinion, the niche occupied by Subaru is not a simple one. It is derived from a matrix of owner biases that are not necessarily compatible. One is a body of owners with a performance bias but a need for storage and utility offered by the Outback.

To put my experience in perspective, my first Subaru was a 2002. I put about a dozen friends in them, several in Legacy GT wagons. When I tried to buy one in 2006, the GT wagon was discontinued and I reluctantly opted for an Outback XT instead. I find now my XT will also be discontinued. I looked at the five-door WRX, and it is not a satisfactory substitute. My experience is not unique from what I have read on the various independent owner websites. Many of us owning the XP live at altitudes where turbocharging is desirable.

Forgive the arrogance of making suggestions to executives of one of two makes having sales increases in 2008. Having said that, erroneous paths may erode those admirable gains. I believe homogenizing the line to reduce the modest expense of buyer choices poses serious risk and smacks of a financial guy rather than a car guy making critical choices; a recipe for short term savings and long term losses.

The 2010 Legacy/Outback line appears to target the crossover market that is already saturated with many fine consumer choices, most available with AWD. I see no reason to consider Subaru over any other crossover. I had considered no other.

Best of luck on your strategy. It will execute without this customer.

Regards:

Archived